e1 and x4
Lethem, “The Ecstasy of Influence: A Plagiarism”
Fastwrite: List any strong similarities you see between the stances taken by Malcolm Gladwell and Jonathan Lethem. Then list any important differences you see between their pieces.
Nielsen, Sharma, Wang, Zhang
In groups: Working with one of the above pieces, jot down some notes on:
- What sort of argument does the author make with her sources?
- What sort of commentary does the author make about her sources?
- What is notable about the form of this piece? That is, what might you imitate? (Consider both the plagiarism and key).
Moment of Zen
Stephen Colbert talks about Reality Hunger with David Shields
- Tues, 2/07, or Wed, 2/08: Post x4 to Dropbox, bring two copies with you to your conference
- Wed, 2/08: No class
- Mon, 2/13: Discuss x3 and Posner
- Wed, 2/15: Working in a writing group
- Thurs, 2/16: Post e1.d1 to your group Dropbox folder
Your first graded assignment for this course is to “construct a brief and original plagiarism” in the mode of Jonathan Lethem. For x4, I’d like you to propose two possible approaches toward this assignment and to discuss them with me in conference.
Each of your two proposals must contain:
- The form your plagiarism will most likely take (e.g., essay, manifesto, advice column, poem, screenplay or script);
- Three or four examples of quotations you’d like to use in your plagiarism;
- The gist of the argument you’d like to make with your sources;
- The gist of the comment you’d like to make about your sources.
I am imagining that each of your proposals will run no more than a single page. Please post your proposal to your Dropbox before your conference (the earlier the better) and bring two print copies with you to our meeting. See e1 for more details and deadlines about the plagiarism assignment. Good luck! I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Conference Schedule (311 Allen Bldg)
- 12:00 Shannon
- 1:40: Alex
- 2:20: Daniel
- 2:40: John
- 3:00: Kate
- 3:40: Ben
- 4:00 Rebecca
- 10:40: Avery
- 11:00: Anna
- 11:20: Becca
- 11;40: Lia