As you begin your research note project, you may be wondering about the field notes for the first three data points – the zooplankton data I collected over the summer. Here are a few important notes regarding those data:
- The July 19 data were actually collected from a different location in Jordan Lake: the Vista Point boat ramp. This is located near the southwest portion of the lake, closer to Pittsboro.
- I did not have a DO/temperature meter or Secchi disk for July 19, Aug 5, or Aug 23. However, Jordan Lake surface water temperature data for those dates are available here. If you use the temperature data for your report, don’t forget to convert to degrees Celsius.
- I used the same 243 micron zooplankton net to collect samples.
- Weather/ notes for July 19: sunny, hot, very windy. Wind blowing parallel to the shore. Sampled ~8:30 am.
- Weather/ notes for Aug 5: very windy (into the dock); hazy, but breaking up. ~mid-80s. Sampled ~9 am
- Weather/ notes for Aug 23: light breeze, but mostly calm; mid-upper 80s; partly cloudy. Sampled 10-11 am.
Lastly, here are a few links that may be useful for your research note:
B. Everett Jordan Dam
Daphnia lumholtzi factsheet
Daphnia lumholtzi distribution