About this Blog

Header photograph by Brazilian Photographer Andre Cherri, used with permission. Visit his flickr site for more of his photographs.

This blog was founded by Professor Laurent Dubois as a place for commentators, including students in the Duke University class “World Cup and World Politics” to post thoughts, musings, rants, links, etc. related to the history and politics of soccer. Since 2009, Professor Dubois has continued to edit the site as in order to host ongoing discussions about the culture and politics surrounding the global game.

Since then contributors have included students in the Fall of 2013 in “Soccer Politics,” taught by Laurent Dubois and Achille Mbembe, and students in the Spring 2015 iteration of “Soccer Politics,” taught by Laurent Dubois.

Professor Laurent Dubois is Marcello Lotti Professor of Romance Studies and History at Duke University, and Faculty Director of the Forum for Scholars and Publics.

The “Soccer Politics Essays” are web pages constructed by Duke University students in the “World Cup and World Politics” class in the Fall of 2009.

We welcome your comments!

To read about the 2009 visit of Lilian Thuram to Duke, click here.

To see an interview with Professor Dubois from Duke’s online office hours, click here.

To learn about his book Soccer Empire, click here or below.

To hear an interview about Soccer Empire on BBC’s The World, click here.

To purchase the book at amazon, click here.

13 thoughts on “About this Blog

1. Premier League Heroes

Hi,

Great blog and interesting read.

I also run a football blog focusing on ex Premier League footballers with information on their careers and what they are up to now. There are currently over 400 players on there and growing week on week. You can view the website http://www.premierleagueheroes.co.uk

Would you consider adding my site as a linked resource on your site.

Regards

Reply
  2. Gabi Renteria

This has been such a great website that I’ve been referring to for my research paper. I’d like to thank you for the information and say it is a wonderful blog!

Gabrielle Renteria

Reply
  3. Neal Pease

I am pleased to learn of this blog, and grateful to a colleague for having tipped me off to it. I am beginning research into topics in the connection between soccer and politics/society in the recent history of Poland, but interested in the subject in its global aspect as well, and look forward to reading future contributions.

Reply
  4. Andy Carmichael

just wanted to say hello as I’m a fan of the site and just starting out on a PhD in promoting pro-environmental behaviour in English football. Not a huge field of academic research at the moment! sites like this give me hope I might find some sort of audience when I get to grips with better blog writing.

Reply
  5. Best Soccer Cleats

Kudos to Professor Laurent Dubois for creating such a wonderful resource. I came to know about soccer politics which is totally new for me. So as people says, politics all around. Will follow the blog and updates.

Reply
  6. Maizupath

Nice blog Professor Laurent Dubois. You have done a great job by creating this soccer politics blog. I’m in and will wait for any update in the future.

Reply
  7. Rafael Chavero

I am a Duke Law School LL.M (1998) from Venezuela. I am the Executive President of Deportivo Petare FC, a first division soccer team (currently at 3° place). I just found out about this blog and I will follow it. Please let me know if you need any help or information from Venezuela’n soccer.
    Regards,
    RCH

Reply