About this Blog

Header photograph by Brazilian Photographer Andre Cherri, used with permission. Visit his flickr site for more of his photographs.

This blog was founded by Professor Laurent Dubois as a place for commentators, including students in the Duke University class “World Cup and World Politics” to post thoughts, musings, rants, links, etc. related to the history and politics of soccer. Since 2009, Professor Dubois has continued to edit the site as in order to host ongoing discussions about the culture and politics surrounding the global game.

Since then contributors have included students in the Fall of 2013 in “Soccer Politics,” taught by Laurent Dubois and Achille Mbembe, and students in the Spring 2015 iteration of “Soccer Politics,” taught by Laurent Dubois.

Professor Laurent Dubois is Marcello Lotti Professor of Romance Studies and History at Duke University, and Faculty Director of the Forum for Scholars and Publics.

The “Soccer Politics Essays” are web pages constructed by Duke University students in the “World Cup and World Politics” class in the Fall of 2009.

We welcome your comments!

To read about the 2009 visit of Lilian Thuram to Duke, click here.

To see an interview with Professor Dubois from Duke’s online office hours, click here.

To learn about his book Soccer Empire, click here or below.

To hear an interview about Soccer Empire on BBC’s The World, click here.

To purchase the book at amazon, click here.

7 thoughts on “About this Blog

1. Andy Carmichael

just wanted to say hello as I’m a fan of the site and just starting out on a PhD in promoting pro-environmental behaviour in English football. Not a huge field of academic research at the moment! sites like this give me hope I might find some sort of audience when I get to grips with better blog writing.

Reply
  2. Best Soccer Cleats

Kudos to Professor Laurent Dubois for creating such a wonderful resource. I came to know about soccer politics which is totally new for me. So as people says, politics all around. Will follow the blog and updates.

Reply
  3. Maizupath

Nice blog Professor Laurent Dubois. You have done a great job by creating this soccer politics blog. I’m in and will wait for any update in the future.

Reply
  4. Rafael Chavero

I am a Duke Law School LL.M (1998) from Venezuela. I am the Executive President of Deportivo Petare FC, a first division soccer team (currently at 3° place). I just found out about this blog and I will follow it. Please let me know if you need any help or information from Venezuela’n soccer.
    Regards,
    RCH

Reply