On the Ends of the World Cup

By | July 13, 2014

This was my concluding piece, part of a series I wrote for the New Republic “Goal Posts” blog, on the World Cup:

“… This World Cuphowever we have lived ithas just taught us once again what it always does. Though we watch from many locations, separated from one another by distance, we are brought together during the time of the game. We effuse, we argue, we mourn. And we remember that, most of all, what we want is to be together.”

Read the Full Piece Here.

About Laurent Dubois

I am Professor of Romance Studies and History and the Director of the Forum for Scholars & Publics at Duke University. I founded the Soccer Politics blog in 2009 as part of a course on "World Cup and World Politics" taught at Duke University. I'm currently teaching the course under the title "Soccer Politics" here at Duke. My books include Soccer Empire: The World Cup and the Future of France (University of California Press, 2010) and The Language of the Game: How to Understand Soccer (Basic Books, 2018)

One thought on “On the Ends of the World Cup

1. eSports MLG

My nephew is big into soccer, it’s certainly getting bigger over here in America compared to recent years. The world cup got a bunch of new fans this year (within my group of friends, anyhow.) One day we will see the World Cup bigger than the Superbowl! (One can only wish, right? Haha!)

Good article, did you write that one, or just simply linking another persons work? I enjoyed it anyhow..

Jacob

Reply