French Racism and Les Bleus

By | June 22, 2010

Yesterday I participated in two discussions about French football. The first, on the English-language TV station France 24, had a perfect line-up: one person defending the classic “football is alienation” thesis, a sports journalist seeing politics as mainly being projected onto sport, and me, the cultural historian imagining everything as politics.

Later in the day I also spoke briefly to BBC news about racism and the reaction to the situation of the French team.

Tomorrow morning, I’ll take up the theme on as part of the discussion on BBC’s World Cup daily, if I manage to wake up at 4 a.m. that is. (They promised to give me a wake up call).

For more thoughts on how many in France seem to have managed, once again, to place the blame for massive institutional rot on convenient scapegoats, see my post from yesterday.

About Laurent Dubois

I am Marcello Lotti Professor of Romance Studies and History at Duke University. A specialist on the history and culture of France and the Caribbean, notably Haiti, I am the author of Soccer Empire: The World Cup and the Future of France. I founded the Soccer Politics blog in the Fall of 2009 as part of a Duke University course called "World Cup and World Politics," whose students helped me develop the site.

One thought on “French Racism and Les Bleus

1. Pingback: Yannick Nyanga’s Tears – Africa is a Country