Documentary on African Football

By | December 16, 2009

Stefan Lovgren, a documentary filmmaker who has worked on a many previous films about Africa, is now making one about football in Africa. It focuses in particular on one football academy in Ghana to tell a broader story about African football, the hopes and exploitation of footballers, and the broader context surrounding the history 2010 World Cup in South Africa. Lovgren was here filming during our October conference on “Sport, Race and Power,” and interviewed Gerard Akindes, Peter Alegi, Paul Darby, three conference participants, for the film.

He’s shared a few short clips from the film with me, including one that explores how football is being used in Sierra Leone to deal with the effects of years of war there among children, and it looks wonderful! Once I know about when and where the film will be aired, I’ll share more information here.

To learn more about the documentary visit Lovgren’s blog.

About Laurent Dubois

I am Marcello Lotti Professor of Romance Studies and History at Duke University. A specialist on the history and culture of France and the Caribbean, notably Haiti, I am the author of Soccer Empire: The World Cup and the Future of France. I founded the Soccer Politics blog in the Fall of 2009 as part of a Duke University course called "World Cup and World Politics," whose students helped me develop the site.