Victoria Szabo

Presentations, Exhibitions, and Publications

without comments

• Fall 2014 Teaching This Fall I’m teaching two fun courses. The first, “Digital Cities and the Cartographic Imagination,” is something I taught last year in Venice. It feels rich and luxurious to have all these local resources at our disposal to make Durham our “lab” once again for the hands-on bits. Venice is fantastic, but so is having ...
  • Padua/Padova June 2014 I spent a couple of days in Padua between sessions of the Visualizing Venice workshops back in June, giving talks with the ever-inspiring Caroline Bruzelius on “The lives of places and cities: New models of representation and their conceptual implications for the past and present.” Saw fantastic colleagues and met students in the crossover architectural ...
  • Teaching Spring 2014 This Spring I taught two courses. The first, Media History: Old and New, is a favorite because I get to delve back into all sorts of historic media in the process of talking about cultural resonances between c. 19 exhibition culture and the contemporary digital context. The repeated utopian/dystopian narratives and supernatural reaches are definitely ...
  • MLA 2014 “Getting Starting with DH” and “Evaluating Digital Scholarship” I am at MLA 2014 teaching a workshop on “Digital Mapping and Augmented Reality” for DHCommons. Slides here. I am also convening a workshop for the MLA Committee on Information Technology on “Evaluating Digital Scholarship: Candidate Success Stories.” This is my last year on the committee but I hope to continue to work on these ...
  • Digital Heritage International Congress 2013 Tim Senior, Florian Wiencek and I did a short paper describing our experiences with the Digital Cities course co-located between Duke and Jacobs University in Germany. Tim is going to deliver it for us at the Digital Heritage International Congress 2013 in Marseille. Sadly, I need to be back in the states at that exact time ...
  • SIGGRAPH 2013: XYZN: Scale The XYZN: Scale gallery went up at SIGGRAPH 2013 in Anaheim! Catalog is available as a special issue of Leonardo.  The works are also visible online on the SIGGRAPH site for that year. I gave a guided tour video on-site for the press. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l26Mx1T2z08 I was pretty proud of the video preview too! I can’t take credit ...
  • ACM SIGGRAPH July 2013 – XYZN: Scale Gallery I organized the XYZN: Scale gallery at the ACM SIGGRAPH conference held in Anaheim CA in July. The catalog is published as part of a special issue of MIT’s Leonardo. Check out the Promo Video for the gallery as well as the Media Tour I did after it was set up!  
  • Summer Visualizing Venice Workshops In June 2013 I co-taught a workshop on historical and cultural visualization techniques for an international set of graduate students interested in art, architectural, and urban history. (We also did a workshop in 2012 on the Waters of Venice.) Our final projects were presented as video, interactive timelines, websites, and augmented reality installations. Check out the Ghetto ...
  • Google Glass My little tweet got picked for Google Glass! I will be trying the system out this summer and bringing to Venice in Fall 2013 to experiment with it as an augmented reality device. More soon as I find out what it can do. Update: putting some observations online at http://glasshappy.net.
  • Psychasthenia 2 The collaborative computer-games driven art project, Psychasthenia 2, will be presented as an installation at the New Media Currents 2013 exhibition in Sante Fe, NM from June 14 – 30, 2013. We have set up a little “treatment room” for our clients to enter when they interact with the project. I am especially proud of ...

Written by Victoria Szabo

December 16th, 2011 at 12:31 am

Posted in

css.php