Victoria Szabo

Organizations and Activities

without comments

This category covers work that might be considered “service” though many of my projects bridge the gaps between teaching/research/service as they are collaborative, multimodal, inter-related, and highly interdisciplinary. As the Program Director for Information Science + Information Studies I organize curriculum and events, as well as coordinate the undergraduate and graduate Certificates.

As a member of various interdisciplnary “labs” I have tried to help create broader conversations around how to do “work” in the humanities.  I codirected the FHI GreaterThanGames: Transmedia Applications, Virtual Worlds and Digital Storytelling Lab from 2011-013 in an effort to think about how critical media studies could influence various forms of academic practice. I was also a faculty affiliate with the Haiti Lab and the BorderWorks Lab, where I taught workshops and co-created projects related to digital mapping and virtual worlds around regions and topics IRL. I’ve also served on various committees around campus relating to digitally-inflected teaching and research. I’m now actively involved in the Wired! Lab for Visualizing the Past, where we just launched a new MA in Historical and Cultural Visualization.

Probably my biggest non-Duke involvement is with SIGGRAPH, the Association for Computing Machinery’s Special Interest Group on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques. I have also been involved in the Triangle Collaborations: Humanities, Arts, and Technology (CHAT) Festival planning for 2010, and organized the CHAT Festival 2012 at Duke.

ACM SIGGRAPH Activities

CHAT Festivals

Other Activities

Written by Victoria Szabo

December 14th, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Posted in

css.php