Our Story

Ubuntu is a selective living group at Duke whose members are dedicated to civic engagement and social change. Our mission is to cultivate a sustained passion and interest in addressing the world’s most pressing issues, and to ingrain these characteristics in the consciousness of the typical Duke student.

Ubuntu was created in 2008 by a group of Duke students who envisioned a multi-dimensional residential experience. Ubuntu was meant to redefine the campus’s social culture, providing students with an alternative to the dominant living groups. It was more than a purely social organization however, and with its theme, took on the purpose of connecting students who share an interest in actively addressing global issues through civic engagement. Through a variety of avenues, from student discussions to faculty interactions, campus-wide events to group social programming, local community service to projects abroad, Ubuntu engages its members in a living experience that is, socially and intellectually, like no other.

We are civic-minded individuals interested in causes as diverse as education reform, food sustainability, environmental conservation, refugee ethics, health rights and so much more. We have members from diverse academic passions like engineering, public policy, pre-med, earth and ocean science, and program II. But what unites us is a passion to make a difference and a yearning to support each other through out.

2014 Slideshow

President Clinton discusses “Ubuntu”

President Obama’s Tribute to Nelson Mandala and the ideology of Ubuntu:

(Click me, I’m awesome!!!)

Katie Michaela Becker

katieBecker
Hey y’all! My name is Katie Becker and I’m a junior from Seattle, WA (…okay, I’m actually from Bellevue, WA, which is across the lake, but Seattle sounds cooler). I’m studying psychology with a certificate in Child Policy Research. I just got back from spending a semester studying, travelling, and trolling around Central America. Studying abroad was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made, but I’m super psyched to get back to Duke and see all my Ubus (and to have reliable electricity and hot water…that’ll be nice too).

I’m involved in Chorale, Presbyterian Campus Ministry, and WHO, among other things. I also work as a research assistant at the Dan Ariely Center for Advanced Hindsight. In my free time, I like to rock out to Taylor Swift, hit up Shooters, follow the 2016 presidential election, and talk about third wave feminism.

I joined Ubuntu last year – as a sophomore – and this community has meant a great deal to me. I’m excited to meet a new class of rushees and, rest assured, I remember very well how it feels to be on the other side.