Our Story

Ubuntu is a selective living group at Duke whose members are dedicated to civic engagement and social change. Our mission is to cultivate a sustained passion and interest in addressing the world’s most pressing issues, and to ingrain these characteristics in the consciousness of the typical Duke student.

Ubuntu was created in 2008 by a group of Duke students who envisioned a multi-dimensional residential experience. Ubuntu was meant to redefine the campus’s social culture, providing students with an alternative to the dominant living groups. It was more than a purely social organization however, and with its theme, took on the purpose of connecting students who share an interest in actively addressing global issues through civic engagement. Through a variety of avenues, from student discussions to faculty interactions, campus-wide events to group social programming, local community service to projects abroad, Ubuntu engages its members in a living experience that is, socially and intellectually, like no other.

We are civic-minded individuals interested in causes as diverse as education reform, food sustainability, environmental conservation, refugee ethics, health rights and so much more. We have members from diverse academic passions like engineering, public policy, pre-med, earth and ocean science, and program II. But what unites us is a passion to make a difference and a yearning to support each other through out.

President Clinton discusses “Ubuntu”

President Obama’s Tribute to Nelson Mandala and the ideology of Ubuntu:

http://www.businessinsider.com/obama-nelson-mandela-memorial-service-speech-full-text-2013-12#ixzz2n4ztSxzx      (Click me, I’m awesome!!!)

Andrew Method

Andrew

Hey guys, my name is Andrew Method. I was born and raised in Park City, UT, and I’m a sophomore majoring in Biomedical Engineering. I love the snow, skiing, golfing, hiking, being outdoors, etc. I also really love driving, so if you see me cruisin around campus in my British racing green (yes, that is actually the color of my car, and yes I expect everyone to know the exact color) Mini Cooper with white racing stripes, feel free to wave. I’m a proud black-tenting member in Das Boot, I’m pretty involved with Catholic Center activities on campus, and I try to get out to the golf course to hit on the range or play a round every now and then. I can’t wait to meet everyone and get to know some of you! Happy rush!