2011 Research Project

As part of a qualitative research class at Duke, I’ve been working on a study intended to identify and describe the changes faculty sustainability workshop participants at other institutions are making to courses to incorporate sustainability concepts in the curriculum.

I am interested in learning about these changes so that my research can inform, guide, and inspire discussions amongst Duke faculty participating in the Trillium Project, and more generally, contribute to an increased presence of sustainability in curriculum in higher education.

My goals for this study are to:

• Identify course changes (i.e. addition of readings, reorienting the course around a theme of sustainability)
  • Produce detailed descriptions of modifications to several courses

I am using a qualitative research software program, NVIVO9, for data management and analysis.  Please use the menu on the right-hand side of the screen to navigate to pages containing background, a literature review, a discussion of the methods and data I use, data analysis and findings,  some information about me as a researcher, and references.  The use of italics in all of these pages indicates a direct quote from the sources I’m analyzing.