April 5-15, 2012

19 Months In…

The first read-through was an incredibly powerful experience for me.  I had my first meeting with Prof. Beckwith in the Theater Studies department about the possibility of a Theater Studies – Hoof ‘n’ Horn collaboration 19 months ago, on April 27, 2010.  That was over a year and a half ago, and it was a full year ago we selected Ragtime for the project.  At the read-through, I realized that almost all my work has been me, sitting at my computer in my room, or having a meeting with at most ten other people.  Looking up at the audience in East Duke 209 and seeing almost a hundred people sitting there excited about Ragtime made me feel incredibly excited and proud of the time I have spent.  Even though I have the contact sheet with over a hundred people on it, seeing bodies and hearing voices was an emotional experience.  It was a highlight of the entire 2-year process without a doubt.

I keep a log of every Ragtime-related meeting I have, and tomorrow I’ll have my fifth-ninth and sixtieth.  Things are starting to heat up as we move into regular rehearsal, and I’m having a great time working with the team of students helping to market and produce Ragtime.  Buckle up, the best is yet to come.

css.php