Michel D. Landry BScPT, PhD, receives 1st Place in Amateur Category in 37th Duke Employee Art Show

We would like to congratulate Michel D. Landry BScPT, PhD, who received 1st Place in the Amateur Category in the 37th Duke Employee Art Show for his photograph, “After the Quake in Nepal.” Dr. Landry’s winning photograph will be on display now through May 2 in the Arts & Health Gallery 2 – located in the concourse between Duke Hospital North & Duke Medicine Pavillion. 

IMG_0868[2]

September 2015, Nepal

We had just finished delivering humanitarian aid on the top of a mountain in Rasuwa district after the earthquakes, close to the Langtang region of Nepal which borders Tibet. On the way off the mountain we walked through some pretty rough and treacherous terrain; areas where helicopters and vehicles just cannot reach during the Monsoon season. On the way down, we arrived in a really hard hit village that was completely destroyed by the quake. As we scrambled through the rubble, I came across this women sitting in front of what must have been her home. I dropped my pack, sat beside her, and offered her some water. Before leaving, I took this picture of her, and thought to myself…if eyes could talk, I wonder what they would say? Does she remember me or that day on the side of the mountain in Rasuwa I will never know; what I do know of that she left an indelible imprint onto my soul.

-Michel D. Landry, BScPT, Phd