DUKE CAMPUS FARM IS HIRING FOR SUMMER, 2015
We’re looking for 3-5 people passionate about food and farm systems to join our Farm Crew this summer.
These are paid positions, 15-30 hrs/week, open to undergraduate, graduate, and professional students at Duke, that run from May to mid-August.
This is a great opportunity to learn about organic agriculture and food systems sustainability on the ground and with your hands.
This job will include:
– planting, weeding, and harvesting sustainably-grown produce
– delivering harvested produce to CSA customers and Duke Dining
– helping to promote and organize public work days at the Farm
– providing tours of the farm to Duke students, faculty, and staff
– developing and leading farm-based educational activities
– supporting the farm’s outreach efforts through web content development, blog posting, and other forms of social media
– learning some of the whys as well as the hows of small-scale organic agriculture.
Special projects and field trips are also possible, according to applicant’s experience and interest, negotiable with the farm manager.
Successful candidates must be registered students in any School at Duke (undergraduate or graduate); have access to a reliable vehicle to get to and from the farm; look forward to doing rewarding, but hard manual labor in all weather; have a rigorous work ethic and an eye for detail; be willing to work a regular schedule and get up early.
Farm crew members able to continue work through the academic year are also eligible to become crew leaders in the fall. Previous farming or gardening experience, work in food justice advocacy, or social media experience in a professional context a plus.
This job also requires that you are available for 2 of the following 3 times slots
Positions will pay $9-10/hour, depending on experience. Work-study students welcome.
Interested candidates should send an email to farm manager and program director Saskia Cornes, email@example.com, along with a resume and a one paragraph response to each of the following questions: 1) Why are you interested in working at the Duke Campus Farm? If you’re a Duke student applying for this position, we’re guessing you like to work outside and could use a break from your studies. If there are additional reasons you want to work with us, we’re eager to hear those. 2) Please describe any experience you have had working with sustainable food systems, organic agriculture, food justice or allied fields.
Applications are due April 13th.