A Mix of Protests
One of the most publicized protests is the “Occupy” Protest. Two weeks ago at the Occupy Wall Street protest Mark Ruffalo grabbed people’s attention by shifting focus back to the Keystone XL Project and in doing so “connecting the dots between fracking, the occupation of Wall Street, and our action on November 6th in Washington DC.” -Tar Sands Action. By bringing up fracking with Keystone he revealed the deeper message of relying in dirty energy projects and how our policies now will affect us in the future. If we choose to go down this route will we create future problems? Future problems usually aren’t at the forefront of policy making, so by presenting Fracking and Keystone during Occupy the message is made clear.
Occupy Protests: The protests taking place over America to spread awareness of the economic gap in our country. This gap is comprised of 1% making over $350,00 a year and the other 99% making under. This is a result of our economic decisions previously and goes to show how we virtually eliminated the middle class.
November 6th 2011: The day that protestors of the Keystone XL project with “encircle” the White House to express disapproval of the project. Note that Nov. 6 2011 is exactly one year prior to the elections.
Fracking: hydraulic fracturing by a high-pressure injection of a water and chemical mix to release gas.
Enjoy this cartoon depiction explaining the problems