Monday, March 4: Race, Prejudice and Political Correctness (Group #5 Presentation)
Today’s guests: Adeline Koh shares her Trading Races, Amy Unell shows her Starting At the Finish Line: The Coach Buehler Story, and Ann Pendleton-Jullian talks about design thinking.
Group 5: Evan, Zanele, Dana, and Billy
- Read the readings and watch the videos
- After completing the readings and videos, (1) add a Reading Response comment to the comment space by Saturday, March 2 at 1:00 P.M. (2) A response to a peer’s comment must be posted by Sunday, March 3 at 1:00 P.M.
- Please select one reading from each of the three categories listed below and:
- 1) Write about your reaction to the material
- 2) Write a question that interests you that we can ask during our in-class interview.
- Please keep in mind that Professor Ariely will be out of class, and we will be interviewing Adeline Koh. Learn about her via her website here: http://www.adelinekoh.org/
- No summaries needed
- Adeline Koh’s Trading Races (Please read the first 5 tabs: Summary, About the Game, Historical Context, Gameplay, and Game Concept Map): http://tradingraces.adelinekoh.org/
Category 2: Social Sciences Studies
- A Class Divided: PBS documentary: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/divided/etc/view.html
- Are Emily and Brendan More Employable than Lakisha and Jamal?: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/capideas/spring03/racialbias.html
- Color Blindness and Interracial Interaction: http://web.mit.edu/epa1/www/CB_PsychSci_2006.pdf
Category 3: Literary Examples
- To Kill A Mockingbird
- Affirmative Action: http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/rethink-affirmative-action
- Equal Pay: http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/equal-pay-anti-feminist