Information for VITA Clients
- Thank you for choosing Duke Law VITA! Our goals are to save you money, get you a fast and accurate refund, and make sure you get every tax credit to which you are entitled!
- Sites and contact info are listed on our calendar and on our Info Hotline
(updated weekly) (919) 613-8526.
- Although we are happy to accept walk-ins when we have available volunteers, clients with an appointment receive priority service — Please contact your site to make an appointment.
- Please indicate if you will need a translator, and which language(s) you speak. We will do our best to accommodate your needs, but we cannot make translators available at every site.
- WHAT TO BRING:
- Must bring a government issued photo identification
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
- Birth Dates for primary, secondary and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s Federal and State returns if available
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit
- Other relevant information about income and expenses
- Total Paid for Day Care
- Day Care providers Tax Identification number
- Information related to health care coverage
- Documentation of charitable contributions
- To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
- Special Information for International Students and Other Non U.S. Residents
- In 2015, the Duke Law Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program will prepare tax returns for Non-U.S. Residents on Saturday, March 21 & 28 and April 4 & 11 at International House located at 300 Alexander Avenue. Email email@example.com for an appointment. Please put “Tax Preparation Appointment” in the subject line.
If you have general questions or need to leave a message you may email us at VITAservices@law.duke.edu or call the Duke Law VITA hotline 919-613-8526. Please do not call this number for the status of your refund. The Duke Law VITA fax number is 919-613-9001.