writing-on-laptop

WRITTEN BY LAUREN, aka Aurora*

I’m sure many of you have read the article in The Chronicle about me. You may ask why I chose to share my story in a public news outlet.

Well, I have been approached by several news publications that have essentially expressed to me that they would expose me with or without my consent. So I decided to preempt this and tell my story first the way I wanted.

I would, however, like to take this chance to clarify a few mistakes in the article:

1. On the day I met Katie, I did not flaunt my designer handbags and show off my new Ipad. I actually had just come from class and was wearing my backpack. I had incidentally bought a new Ipad to keep notes in my classes the day before. To clarify, every penny that I make from porn goes to paying my tuition. I do not lead a lavish lifestyle as Katie suggests (although I definitely wish I did).
  2. I never, never giggled and asked Katie, “Do you think I’ll be on Ellen?” This conversation just never happened. In reality, when I learned that I would likely be exposed soon on a frat website, I asked my friend Stephanie her thoughts on it, and she advised me to go on a bigger news platform like Ellen if I was going to be exposed anyway. I brought this idea up to Katie during a phone call. I was merely bouncing my options off of her. Moreover, I take issue with being portrayed as an attention-whore. I have been mortified since I was first exposed at Duke. All I have ever wanted since this entire ordeal happened was for my life to go back to normal. Simply put, I want to pay my tuition and get through college in peace.
  3. Perhaps one of the most hurtful of Katie’s remarks was that I am “distressingly naïve.” I expressed to Katie on numerous occasions that the most hurtful comments my cyber bullies had made was that I am a naïve little girl who doesn’t understand the consequences of her actions. I find it extremely upsetting that Katie threw that back in my face.
  4. Katie also mentioned that I frustrated her with my impulsivity and my frequent changes in decisions. UM, HELLO?! I’m going through a situation that my friends, or anybody else at Duke, for that matter, have never been through. Of course I am going to be indecisive. I don’t have a publicist advising me on how to deal with all of the attention I have been getting. I have navigated this dilemma alone, with no real precedent set for me.
  5. All of my comments about frats and sororities were supposed to be off the record, which clearly was not the case. For the record, I recognize the wonderful contributions that the Greek System makes to Duke and the community.
  6. The Chronicle promised me that I would be sent the quotes that would be used in the article prior to its publication. This never happened.

Overall, I feel that The Chronicle portrayed me as a naïve, attention seeking little girl who flaunts her wealth. I feel that The Chronicle and Katie betrayed my trust and skewed my words. I do, however, sincerely thank The Chronicle for giving me an outlet to tell my story.

I hope that the article opened your eyes to how we stigmatize and mistreat sex workers. And perhaps encouraged you to think twice before you pass judgment on a juicy story you hear circulating around Duke.

287 Responses to In Response to Portrait of a Porn Star

1. blaorgh gaoijf says:

As someone who doesn’t know you, I don’t think the article was a very bad depiction of you. I actually think Katie did an awesome job defending you as best she could. She had to pick a POV that was somewhere between yours and the general public, and her portrait of you doesn’t make me think less of you, it actually makes me think more of you than if she hadn’t done a lot of the things you list here.

• Suzanne says:

I’m sorry, how dumb are you? “She had to pick a POV that was somewhere between yours and the general public”? Nope, not really. She had to try to make accurate and unbiased observations of reality. Not add in some designer handbags that weren’t there because the general public thought they would be.

2. AreYou FuckingSerious says:

^and that’s IRRELEVANT.

You’ve just admitted that we’ve bought and sold a sex worker’s persona for our own entertainment… again. For the record, no, you don’t get a fucking cookie.

Let’s just be blunt about this. Do we think sex workers have the same rights as other people?

If you answered yes, I applaud you. Now back the fuck off. If you answered no, I don’t applaud you. Now back the fuck off.

3. Someone says:

Glad you posted this. From my one experience with the Chronicle (and it’s going to be my only one), I was told I would be sent quotes. Instead, my friends and I got an article with skewed and even made up quotes.

To blaorgh, it doesn’t matter whether you think it’s a good or bad depiction of her (especially since you don’t know her); that’s for her to decide. The point is the Chronicle took her words and put them in a different context, which is not a first on the Chronicle’s part.

• In response to that says:

While we might not personally know Lauren and won’t ever figure whether she was accurately portrayed, it’s wrong to assume that Lauren can be the only one to decide whether her depiction in the Chronicle was a fair one. People can be blind of their own faults, we see that all the time. It is the reporter’s job not only to convey the dialogue, but to also point out some inconsistencies in her subject’s behavior. Yes, including these observations imply a certain judgment on Lauren. Yet, would it have been an accurate representation of Lauren had Katie not noted these observations? Nothing in her tone was overtly judgmental; she presented her observations in order to give the reader a more conclusive picture.

• Lauren says:

She didn’t make observations.. she outright lied. I don’t even own any designer bags! And I already discussed how she took my words out of context in order to characterize me in absolutes.

• Tybalt says:

Can’t wait till we get some real links to the site you work for. Internet detectives are fast at work. I hope you did an anal scene maybe some lesbian asslicking. It’s only a matter of time I’ll be rubbbing it out thinking, what a dirty little naive. I’ll even read some of your comments while I’m doing it to enhance the experience. Porn is fine, but porn of girls I know is the best porn there is. See you in class

• Katherine says:

You are disgusting.

• Kim says:

And you’re a bully which is even more disgusting.

• Jenny says:

Okay…I’m so glad I don’t go to Duke if there are people like you there.

• Payne says:

It’s really a miserable thing to kick a person when they are down, especially when they didn’t deserve it. It’s fine for you to wank off to whatever you want — I have no problem with that; but why do you have to try to hurt another person? Please stop.

• Douglas says:

You really are disgusting. And an asshole.

• Cdatlan says:

Well, according to a recent study, Internet trolls have some awful tendencies: sadism, narcissism, psychopathy and machiavellianism being some of the most notable. And apparently, misogyny.

In other words, they’re the worst human beings. Far worse than someone who exhibits consensual public sex. And as that knowledge spreads, and it will, I look forward to the day when someone drops docs on you and destroys your life.

• chidude323 says:

I agree Lauren, the author of the article, “Portrait of A Pornstar” appeared judgmental, trying to portray you as a naive or impulsive girl, among other things. What they did was wrong and the author or publication should be disciplined for doing something like that.
          Anyways you can argue for years with internet trolls and nothing will come of it. Ignoring them by not responding is your best bet. They can be some of the worst human beings stuck in the 20th century. (If you read this) I hope the best in your life/school endeavors and don’t let those intertroll pions get to you!

Sincerely,
          O kurcze czy ja jestem chidude323?

• Cathy says:

Lauren… I’m twice your age. Have kids. Watch and enjoy all sorts of porn. No issue with it all. However: I am really struggling with your apparent enthusiasm for shooting it, calling yourself a feminist, yet allowing it be so degrading and personal. Your rough sex scene was disturbing to me. Why? Because you cut your legs. And you exposed your vulnerability to pigs and allowed them to use your vulnerabilities against you. That is far from empowering yourself or women in general. You were ready to cry at being called fat. You cut yourself because you thought you were fat. You let those gross dudes debase you when you’ve already turned to self harm. Go shoot porn, I don’t care. As a secure woman I enjoy porn immensely! But you have issues that you’re not coping with well, and you’re allowing the lowest quality of men to humiliate you in areas where you are obviously disturbed. If you had a purely healthy and stable interest in sex, then you wouldn’t be all cut up and scarred. It’s so bizarre, you are actually very articulate and well versed on paper, but on video you seem like a totally different person. I fear for all the hard work feminism has put in, and I dislike your associating violence and dehumanizing with empowering women.

• Shawn says:

I can’t attest to whether or not Katie lied in her article, but if she did, its called libel. Sue them. The only language these corporations speak is that of the almighty dollar. If someone costs them enough by having them print lies, they might just stop doing it.

• Sandra Dee says:

Hi Lauren.

1) I’m sorry for what you’re going through right now.

2) People on the internet are not necessarily the same as people in real life. They are a particular subset of the population who often are particularly misbehaving. If someone is taking time out of their day to make a stranger’s day crappy – that is not a good, stable, nice person. Don’t feel like everyone is judging you just because the internet is – and I would advise staying away from the internet as much as you can. No reason to add fuel to the fire.

3) 20 years down the line, it will be a lot easier to have empathy for your current, younger self. Try to imagine how you would look at yourself as if you were your own daughter. If you were your own daughter, what would you tell yourself? I bet you would say that it’s okay to make mistakes, even big ones. It’s okay to have regrets, to be unsure, to say the wrong thing, to feel bad (even if you’re not sure if you should feel bad). You’re still loved and lovable and – more importantly – you still have personal autonomy and free choice to be whoever the hell you want to become in the future. YOU decide who you are and who you become. No one else.

4) I am 32. Most women my age did things in high school and/or college that were incredibly embarrassing and horrible at the time, things we are SO glad are not public information. There are more people than you know who see your story and feel relief that their own private stories were not outed. It’s okay to be young and do crazy stuff – no matter how you feel about it later – so long as you stay safe. Even if you temporarily lose respect for yourself or are unsure who you are/want to be, you can regain that respect and figure out who you want to be later. There is no rush. No one is born perfect, life is for learning.

Good luck.

• Ben says:

The tone of the article aside, quoting dialogue that was intended to be off the record and not sending quotes as agreed upon is definitely not a reporter’s job. As well as the comment about her feelings regarding her “subject’s” behavior.

4. Keep-your-head-up says:

As a member of a fraternity on campus. I want to say that I am sorry for how some of my brothers have treated you and/or spoken of you. We are not all the same. I always defend you when it is brought up. I think there is a double standard for us men, not just on campus but in general in this country. Do what makes you happy. I will always defend you, please do not leave Duke, it can be hard sometimes for all of us. While not the same, it’s been hard for me, financially, and socially. But you need to know that not all of us are the same. If you ever need to talk just know that some of us are here to listen

• Anonymous says:

Thank you, Keep-your-head-up, for being an ally for Lauren and for women in general. You set a positive example and I hope other Duke men will follow suit.

• Lauren says:

Thank you very much for your support, from the bottom of my heart. It means a lot <3

• shay peleg says:

Hi i think being a porn star is good , and maybe one day i can be one too

• Mike says:

Lauren-

I read your story on several different media outlets. Honestly, I was interested in seeing your work! LOL. However, the thing I wanted to tell you was that you are very brave and courageous for speaking up. There’s a stigma that sex workers are dumb, unintelligent, and forced into the life they lead. You contradict that statement, and that’s a GOOD thing. There are sex industries everywhere in the world. Australia and Amsterdam both are prominent, progressive countries that have legalized, long standing traditions of regulated sex work. What’s wrong with that? Nothing. I think you’re awesome, and hope to one day stumble upon your work :).

Good luck with the rest of your education. Remember, a college degree proves two things; you can start something and finish it (no pun intended), and you can critically think.

Best,

Mike

• Jojo says:

Guys/Girls – I’m sure if we looked at every student,alumni,professor etc at duke or any other university for that matter – there would be questionable things cited- i think were missing a bigger picture – she got into Duke-who gives a shit, it’s not illegal. She has a means to an end – all u rich Yentas whose parents put them through school and burn your trust funds – were oh so proud- good for you, bang who you want, study or don’t study , make a career in law, porn or medicine – your at duke! Live the dream and ignore the other assholes – they are the same people jerking off to your video and taking shit

• jimmy says:

Hey Lauren,
        Your story struck a personal chord with me because I met someone in a similar situation as you a year ago. I was at a party and had unknowingly at the time, flirted with an adult film actress, like you. We had a great time talking and getting to know each other. She was a totally normal girl who seemed really nice and pleasant. I did not know about her job until someone pulled me outside to tell me. Of course I was shocked and really did not know what to think. I went back into the party and the girl was gone. She realized that a guy had recognized her from her work and everyone there was talking about her.
        I ran into her a few more times, and similar instances would happen where she would have to leave because people were talking and making snap judgments about her. Her reputation was tainted by this fact and she was judged by this factor alone, and not the quality of her character. I have to admit that at first, I was like the rest of the people talking negatively and derogatively about this girl (and you), and made judgments about you as a person based on what you do on camera
        It was only after I learned that this girl I met was sexually assaulted that I realized mine, and others beliefs about sex workers and women were toxic and wrong. I have heard excuses like “she was asking for it” or “so many people have seen her stuff that this was going to happen.” But the fact that disturbed me the most was that out of everyone that seemed to know about it, no ones first thought was “is she OK.” People were drawing conclusions based on the fact they knew she was a sex worker and were not thinking of her as a person (someones friend, daughter, classmate).
        Lauren, on behalf of that girl I met, I would like to apologize for my own previously held beliefs about your line of work. Myself, and others, no business judging you because we do not know you personally. I know there is more to you than videos and articles, and until I learn otherwise, I am going to assume you are a pleasant, and totally normal college girl.
        I also would like to commend you, and if you read what I have written, I hope it adds fuel to your fire to become a lawyer and fight for the rights and well-being of women and sex workers. I hope you have much success and become the voice that brings change. I hope you can make it so that if, God forbid, situations like the one that happened to the girl I know occurs again, the first question people ask is “is she OK.”

• Felipe says:

NO worries Lauren, This is only one more example of double standards and actually , you can use it to create a better situation for you.
        Remember that there is always calm after each storm.

Don’t give up, we are with you from NYC!!

5. Jayne Ratliff says:

YGG. Misrepresentation of your voice in the midst of all this mess is the last thing you needed.

You have friends here.

6. BlueDevil2013 says:

I have also been through the process of talking to reporters from the chronicle and other publications and they always, ALWAYS change our version and add some bullshit in there to make things interesting. I admire you for speaking about your true self and being open and honest. I also admire your effort to work hard and pay your tuition. There’s people out there who support you. Duke can seem as a hypocrite culture but I promise you that in the long run being who you are will take you far. You are awesome!

7. Supporter says:

Thank you for writing this, and for working with the Chronicle on publishing the original article. I graduated last May and have been working in the service industry for the past few months where I’ve had some of my first experiences dealing with entitlement and feelings of superiority from the receiving end. Reading the article, I was overwhelmed by the degree to which many students believe they’re superior, and how they use those feelings to justify being cruel. I truly hope that Duke can be a home and a safe learning environment for you. All students deserve that.

8. anon. says:

I read the Chronicle article and it was absolutely revolting. The tone was disgusting and I honestly do not know why somebody would write an article like that about another human being, especially with the emphasis on brand name things “Lauren” owns, “designer bags” and such. The writer seems to have already had a preconception of “Lauren”; overall it was a very disappointing and shallow article indeed.

“Lauren”, if you see this – there are many people that will become your genuine friends at Duke, regardless of what it seems like at this point to you right now. It must seem hard because of all the map-intentioned people actively seeking out you. Don’t forget give up all you’ve worked for so easily. Be strong, and make the most of your Duke experience.

9. Rusty Shackleford says:

“Simply put, I want to pay my tuition and get through college in peace.” Not going to happen. Welcome to Duke.

10. DukeDuke13 says:

Thanks so much for telling your story! As a former reporter and layout designer, one of the reasons I left The Chronicle was because I felt it lacked journalistic finesse and the integrity was sometimes shady. You go girl! And I’m rooting for you

11. Acia says:

As a girl that has absolutely no idea who you are, I have to say, what you do with your life is totally yours. While I personally took out loans for my own education, I don’t blame you for turning to the adult industry to pay for your own tuition. There have been many times where my friends and I joked about getting into accidents so we could sue for money to pay for tuition. It’s a hard thing to do.
    Keep your chin up, and know that not everyone out there is a douchebag. All the best.

12. A well wisher says:

Although I do not know you, after reading this and the Chronicle article, I wish I did. I did not think the Chronicle article portrayed you in a negative light – rather, as a girl who has been wrongfully judged because of a personal decision she made. People can be extremely cruel but with the proper support, I hope you can tune them out. I support your decision 100% and please know that there are so many people on your side! Remember how blessed you are to be able to attend one of the best schools in the country, screw the haters, and make the most of your opportunities :)

13. lulz says:

Every dime goes towards college? what about those designer hand bags?

• Rumpelstilskins says:

How does the money go towards tuition when your parents do not know what you are doing? Have you been paying for tuition on your own since day 1 or does a bundle of money marked “Tuition Only” show up at the front door and your parents send it to Duke no questions asked? I think many people are curious about how the money you earn really does get spent – especially with the handbag and iPad information making people doubt the legitamcy of your dire financial situation and noble intentions.

• Lauren says:

What Katie failed to mention in the article is that I was ineligeble for any government loans. The only loans I could get are loans with 11% interest that would take me decades to pay off.
      She also failed to mention that my mother is recently unemployed.
      And yes, I talked to my financial aid officer. I BEGGED her for more aid. I told her that Duke would bankrupt my family. Still, my aid was kept the same.
      Every month I was faced with a $4200 bill. Thats more than most people’s mortgages.
      I mean.. what do you want me to do? Show you records of all of my financial records to show that I am in need? Give me a break.

• Rumpelstilskins says:

I’m not questioning your need – I have no way of knowing that. I am questioning how the money you earn doing porn physically goes towards tuition. Assuming your parents don’t know what you’re up to – and that they are involved in paying tuition – how does the money from what they don’t know you do get put towards tuition? Either you’ve cooked up a grand lie to tell your parents or one to tell the whole world.

How’s that iPad working?

• Uh says:

Maybe she tells her parents she gets more aid than she actually does? Maybe she tells them she has a scholarship that reduces their contribution.

• Bob Dole says:

Hold up, can we first address if this is a correlation or causation thing? Honestly, I think it’s pretty irresponsible for you to go to a school like Duke given your economic situation; what if porn falls through? Do your parents not ask any questions?

It all seems a bit fishy to me, Belle.

• Anonymous says:

Who are you to judge her as being irresponsible to go to Duke because she can’t afford it? If I was in a situation where I could not afford Duke, I would go to whatever lengths necessary to come anyway because it is a first-rate education and opens up opportunities that would otherwise never exist for me. I’d be willing to go to great lengths and sacrifices to obtain that.Also, for the record, it is my understanding that her financial difficulties arose after she had already enrolled in Duke, so your assertion that it was an irresponsible decision is a moot point.
            Regardless, who are you to be asking her how she uses her money? Does it even matter what she uses it for? It’s HER body, and HER life, and if she wants to sell her body so she can buy a Bugatti, she has every right to do so. I’m not saying it’s necessarily a good decision; I worry that it will negatively effect her for years to come and hamper her future job prospects, but that’s none of my business. She’s an adult and she can make her own decisions.

• BlueDevil2010 says:

I don’t know you but I have something to say to Rumpelstilskins, Bob Dole, and the rest of you who are questioning her: BACK OFF. Who are you to judge her? Only if you’ve attended Duke do you know the pressures and stigmas she is likely facing being a student there. You also are in no position to judge or question her family pressures. She is not stealing, lying, or cheating. Who cares how she gets the money? If she got into Duke, she deserves to be there. I was a student there and it was the most incredible 4 years of my life and I would’ve done anything I could to stay there. You should be commending her for taking the financial pressure off her family. Unless you’re going to offer to pay her tuition for her so she doesn’t have to continue in the porn industry, then leave her alone! Go take a look in the mirror and ask yourself what gives you the right to judge and speak negatively of other people. Get a life.

• Megan says:

You entitled little brat. I know it is hard to believe but yes, some people actually do pay for their own college tuition! And- this will really blow your mind- the bills go to directly to them, not their parents! Go complain to your mom, baby.

• Jean says:

I know a girl who has a criminal justice degree. Instead of doing porn, she worked in strip clubs, did escort, and had at least 25 customers before her 20th birthday. She didn’t have any problem with paying for schools or pay her rent on time while she was in college, I wish you should have taken that route in order to avoid any repercussion from the work you’re doing. It’s funny how people are: they enjoy getting satisfaction from watching porn and yet criticize those who performed the act

• How is this even legal from the tax aspect? says:

If what you said above was true, you would qualify for MORE grants and government aid than most. Especially since at your age, and your statement of your mother being unemployed, they go off of your parents’ income until you are no longer declared a dependent.

You have to show your financial records in order to even apply for grants and aid. Are paying tuition on your own and applying for these as an independent student? How do you account for the porn money? Or have you just not told them?

If you have received any grants, you may be doing so fraudulently as you had not previously reported this income. If you are making tens of thousands to make up the difference of $58,000/annual tuition, you owe taxes on that money to both the IRS and the state of California. Porn stars are free lancers, therefore self-employed. How do you get around this, Lauren? Do you have a whole secret mailbox and all to get your paperwork so your parents do not know? You can’t think that they have NO idea that something has been going on with you. They can’t be that dense to believe that any student takes an extra exam over Christmas break with the campus closed. Really?

• RevDub says:

I’m an alumnus of Loyola Marymount University. I think you’d find it to be a far friendlier school and one in which the students are literally taught to be non-judgmental. While the training doesn’t always stick the truth is always the truth and NO ONE who criticizes you is the least bit better than you. If you were male, the accolades from your peers would be shutting down mail servers and you’d find yourself sore from all the high 5s you’d be getting.

• Payne says:

Please re-read her post. She said she doesn’t own any designer hand bags. But that is irrelevant anyway — what she does with her dimes is her business.

14. Derek says:

Could be bullshit… Duke, like many top private schools, gives grants for their students’ demonstrated need. And if she feels she MUST do porn to pay for her tuition, she’s mistaken. Talk to your financial aid officer…

• Lauren says:

I did. I begged her for more aid, to no avail. I have the emails and the letters to prove it.

Why would I undergo such stigma and hatred if I was a rich girl who didn’t need the money?

• J says:

Truth is you don’t need to prove any of that to anyone! Dont get caught up by the comments people say on here. Dont get caught and stuck in this moment. People will always talk…Just be you! Surround yourself with positive people. Be stong and push forward!

• Jeff says:

Agree with J. These fools are just trolling you. Some people are just too young and dumb to understand what life is actually about. Do your thing and don’t ever feel like you have to justify yourself to the ignorant unwashed, no matter how privileged they think they are.

• Suzanne says:

What J said. You want peace of mind – you will lose it if you respond each time one of these idiots tries to yank your chain. They are looking for ways, so they will find them, but we all know how pathetic that is. You do you.

• Marion Wilson says:

I know a very brave lady who is a prostitute in New Zealand. She taught me heaps about how sex workers are in fact incredibly brave people for what they do, in the face of daily harassment. This Lauren is an adult and while her decision may be perceived by some to have negative consequences, she alone is responsible for the direction of her life and others shouldn’t presume to judge or speak for her. I hope Lauren that you will be the change in the porn industry your experiences have inspired in you. Anyone who shoots you down is a dwarf- in other words, the growth of their mind is stunted.

15. friend says:

Stay Strong! Your courage is admirable!

16. Mark says:

Give me a break. If you are a sex worker honey no need to attend Duke. Whoring has been around since the beginning of time so just go do it. You got into Duke and you are so dimwitted to think that no one who say something to you if they found out you did porn?

Man are you dumb. Since you self0-identify as a Republican tell some of your political buddies about your new found occupation and see what happens.

Poor thing. LOL

• Lauren says:

And you are absolutely pathetic <3

• Jamie says:

I’m sorry Lauren, while he may have not written that with perfect grammar, he does bring up a very important point; something that I myself have been wondering after reading all of these articles about your story. When starting your career at Duke, did you not think someone would identify you? I am trying very hard to understand how you did not think you would be identified…and then how you did not think it could blow up once you were identified?…I’m not trying to be judgmental or anything like that- just a question I’ve been asking myself.

• Payne says:

Have you never done anything that brought consequences you might have anticipated but didn’t? She says that if she were to do it over she’s not sure she’d make the same decisions to go to Duke and to work in the adult industry. Let people be human.

I hope that she can get through it and make it all work out without regrets; but even if she does feel regret, it’s not justification for criticism. The real regret isn’t about what she’s done. She seems to feel positive about herself and her actions (deservedly). The real regret is for how she is treated by others.

• Lauren says:

Also, you should really work on your grammar, Dukie ;)

• Anonymous says:

Wow, how belittling to call her honey. And to act as though she is a naïve child who cannot make her own decisions.

• lol says:

Says the guy who faps to so much to porn. Don’t complain about this shiz if you watch porn yourself and you know you do. If she wants to be what she is, let her, its not your business or anyone’s elses. Her decisions is hers only, not yours idiot. Fucking college shitheads like you only thinking for pot sex and drugs. Go and waste more of your parent’s money on parties idiot.

• Suzanne says:

Mark, go back to posting pics of that “stuck up silly bitch” who left you on revenge porn sites and reviewing PUA-literature on Youtube. How will bitches ever learn their place if you keep taking time out from that important work to make comments here?

• Not a Dukie says:

Mark – What an idiot. Lauren – Chin up, you are loved!

17. Another Well Wisher says:

I don’t know you but did find the tone of the chronicle article to be judgmental and a bit sensationalized. What gives the writer the authority to presume she knows the motivations of your choices–for example, how could she possibly know that your decision to be a porn actress comes from inwardly “competing desires” between “fitting in an standing out”? Sounds like fiction to me. You sound like a smart and sensible person who knows herself pretty well, which is more than can be said for 90% of people on campus. Please know that not all of us assume that you are naive or have been brainwashed into making the choices you have. Sending you good wishes and I hope everything turns out well for you.

• Another Well Wisher says:

Me again–wow, I just saw all the new comments and I can’t believe all the hate!!! Shame on you guys! Please live your own lives and stop judging others!

18. Heyyyygirl says:

There are people in the Duke community that support you. Duke is an awesome place but, like any college or university, it won’t always be rainbows and roses. My experience at Duke certainly always wasn’t that way. But it will get better. DO NOT let this hold you back. It takes a great deal of bravery to be who you are and not be ashamed. And in the end you’ll be the better for it. Keep your head up! You’ve got this!

19. QuitTheJudgements says:

Reading through these comments…wow. Some of you people so quick to call her stupid for whoring around. This is exactly the double standard. I know a lot of guys that sleep with someone new every weekend or every other weekend, but what do they get a high five and appraisal by there peers? Sure girls will think they are conceited but the criticism is not nearly as bad as when a girl decides to sleep around. (not that I am saying that you are “sleeping around”…I wouldn’t use that wording for your situation–I am just commenting on a statement made about you)

And that is exactly what is wrong with the republican party–they are so exclusive to who can be a republican and who they will support and so the party she supports is supposed to shame her!?

Also, financial aid is not that easy to come by for everyone, especially at a private school that costs a lot and with a lot of students in need. Sure she can get grants, but likely not enough to cover tuition. Plus, not everyone in need gets grants. I have friends with single moms who can’t contribute any money who got no grant money. Not every person in the United States has access to private loans or parents who can help. Just because you got enough financial aid and it was easy for you doesn’t make it easy for everyone else.

You all who are so negative are so close minded. If she chooses to be a porn actress to pay tuition then so be it. Thats where that ends. No need to judge or call her a whore. Her life has nothing to do with yours.

Good for you for standing up for yourself. Continue to be courageous because things may just get harder for you. I heard about your story all the way up here in Wisconsin! I don’t know if that makes you feel better or worse.

20. Dukegrad says:

When I was in school, my parents underwent similar hardships and providing the office with specific forms verifying the hardship (bank statements that dwindled over months, record of applying for unemployment or benefits, etc,), they provided a huge bump in financial aid. I would consider getting that information together as it actually helped me. I don’t know if it has changed in the past few years, but good luck!

21. Ben says:

Lauren, you tried your best to explain yourself, but you really don’t have to. Perfectly normal, healthy, and respectable men and women enjoy watching porn–including many of your detractors (though I wouldn’t call them respectable or healthy, necessarily). Similar people enjoy making porn, and profit from it. There is of course a lot of exploitation and abuse, but that happens in many industries, as you yourself pointed out in the article. It seems like the people attacking you are just upset that a female sex worker, usually just an object of sexual stimulation, is now a subject who is getting a great education and is highly capable and articulate. Don’t get dragged into the negative comments here. You won’t change people’s attitudes or their eliminate their hypocrisy. You did a good thing by telling your story.

22. Tompengo says:

Good for you Lauren, for speaking out. Your initial decision to explore may be at odds with “living in peace” in the near-term but best wishes and good luck.

23. Lina says:

I just want to give you some words of encouragement as a fellow woman, because this story really breaks my heart for so many reasons. Although most of us haven’t experienced it on this scale, most of us have experienced bullying, being ostracized and feeling lonely. Freshman year was a particularly tough time for a lot of us. But you WILL get through this. You are NOT alone in this, there are many of us who fight for women in your situation and I know you will find those people. And You will come out this situation stronger. I love that you want to improve the situations of other sex workers. It truly Is disgusting how we accept the men watching porn but crucify the women in the videos. Oh the double standards.
    Also, I got the sense you enjoy doing porn but if you don’t and it’s only for the money – quit! Believe me, it is not worth it doing something that feels wrong. Someone as intelligent as you can surely succeed at any school, so go with the cheaper school if you have to make that choice. Again, i didn’t get the sense that doing porn made you feel victimized, rather it’s the response to it that did, in which case my last piece of advice is irrelevant. best of luck to you, you seem like an intelligent, driven woman and you will go far. There is no doubt in my mind that you will be okay. <3

24. T Rick says:

$5 says you look like a porn slut but you’re just pranking everyone into thinking you are one. You have a great future in Hollywood….or DC. Good one.

25. Tompengo says:

Lauren – I would say you’re a few steps from telling your family/them knowing (if they have not learned already). In this Internet age, any hopes of everyone you know and a whole lot more people not connecting you to your “alter ego” are gone. My suggestion is to stick to your convictions and do your best to lead that “dual life”, as you seem passionate about both. Also, know who your friends are and trust in them – it’s a waste of your energy to defend yourself to anybody else.

26. DukeGradStudent says:

Lauren,
    I pretty much got the same impression from the Chronicle so, thank you for clarifying that. However, I really wish you did not respond to people’s negative comments. What you do is perfectly normal and I don’t think it is any different from working on campus because you said – well at least the Chronicle article says you did – you are not ashamed of what you are doing. Please try to avoid from answering people’s comments on an individual basis. This school is full of entitled people who are flashing their designer bags, ipads and all sorts of other stuff their parents buy them. At least the things you own are things you paid for with the money left over from your tuition payment and it is nobody’s business.

27. Tompengo says:

It’s also worth noting you’re on the doorstep
    of cultural change. In the past, the fact that you are or did porn would be a barrier for getting any type of “professional” job. Going forward, I think there may be a few more “open-minded” employers, and thus someone might be willing to separate your work/professional career from your private or “alter ego” life. At the same time, you’ll just have to deal with any close-minded colleagues or friends who might become aware of your work on the Internet – same story as now, you’ll have a load of people judging you and another set of people neutral or supporting.

28. TruthHurts says:

Telling your parents you’re selling drugs (illegal) instead of doing porn (legal)? Really? How did you even get into Duke in the first place? Your personal statement should have been titled “My Financial Plan to Pay for School through Porn.” Also, Duke should just cut their losses and expel you already. All this acceptance stuff is bullshit. As soon as a major conservative donor pulls out, you’re going to be out in the cold.

29. Meg says:

I think this is great and sad. This is great because she will graduate from college with zero debt. And great because she will bring in more hits on her employer’s site. This is sad because so many people are against it. Why can’t a porn star go to college? Why does she have to put up with the insults and the judgment? Why does she have to justify how she spends her money?

30. Tompengo says:

Truthhurts has a point – you do have to look at the culture of the institution and how it is funded. Sky-high tuition costs are unfortunately a reality of the education system as other types of disparity. Since what is done cannot be undone, there are only two outcomes: 1) you feel increasing pressure and scrutiny by those around you and ultimately switch schools or 2) you are lucky enough to have this situation unfold at a time that people are increasingly tolerant and accepting (and judging by the responses, there is some light, but it appears to be an early stage)

31. Baba fett says:

So how much do you charge for a blowjob. Prostitution is legal if there’s a camera and that is all you are at this point so what’s your going rates? Seriously.

• Anonymous says:

Lovely of you to say that a prostitute “is all you are.” As if there is no other aspect to this person besides her sexuality, just because she is a sex worker. If you work in any other occupation, is that all you are anymore? There are many aspects of her person, and how she makes her money and how she views her sexuality are just a part of her. She has feelings and thoughts and ideas just like you do, and you have no right to reduce her to an object for your own perverted sexual pleasure.

32. TruthHurts says:

This is the issue some of us are having with your story. We accept you as a person, and are sympathetic with your situation. It’s when you are so critical to those who try and support you (not necessarily your job, but you as a feminist woman expressing your individuality) that we begin to have questions regarding your intentions. Do you want to continue in the porn industry (because that sure seems like that is your priority and stance coming from all the media attention)? Insulting someone about their reservations regarding the unfair racial boundaries and unhealthy body image projections in porn is blatantly disrespectful. You might have your own opinions, but I hope you understand that they are quite difficult for any college student to grasp in their entirety. The brave soul who posted this letter comes out in general support of you, and brings up a very relevant point not yet addressed by media, that outlines a very rational explanation to some of the negative feedback you have been receiving. She places her criticism with the porn industry, not with you (“You are not to blame: it is the fault of the porn industry which you promote.”). For you to dismiss her opinions as “ridiculous” is awful, and I hope you understand that you are just making your situation worse, and placing yourself in a few unintended (or at least I would hope so) spotlights. I have been your supporter since I heard about you mid-January, but I am running out of points on which to support you. Your financial situation at home seems to indicate that you have the adequate resources to pay for your education. If you want to become financially independent, that’s a different story, but indicates that you are doing porn not out of necessity, but for personal happiness. Not at all something to insult, just a shift in your intentions that makes your situation a little “grey”-er. Adding to that, your involvement in rape porn, scenes that insinuate child porn (riding bikes, calling yourself a “dirty little girl”), and affiliating with websites such a fabialabuse.com also complicates your position. Yes, porn is a fantasy, but violent porn establishes that violent behavior towards women is acceptable (why would she be cumming if she didn’t enjoy it?) in some forms, making it more dangerous than violent video games where characters just die without receiving any sexual satisfaction. Lastly, your choice not to tell your parents, probably the two people on Earth that could never stop loving you (yes, it might be hard to accept for a little while, but your parents will come to understand), places you further in “taboo” territory. These are just a few of my reservations. Again, I support you as an individual and as an adult woman, and am just outlining some of the common concerns I have found when talking about your situation with other friends. Lastly, if I can give you some advice: Be tolerant of the range of opinions you receive. Although some will not be as accepting as others, with a little time to re;ax and breathe and get over themselves, your opponents will back down (to some extent). If you keep on being so defensive (I have yet to see your public support regarding any opinion piece about you), you are not giving anyone the chance to understand you, you are just prompting more criticism. So apologies for the long response, but this is my way of expressing my opinion on the matter, and I hope that at least part of you understands my perspective. Thank you.

• generationZ says:

please shut up no one cares what you think, whether you personally accept her, etc.

• Jeff says:

Liar. You don’t “accept” her as a person, you don’t support her, you’re not “on her side.” You’ve been posting all these insulting, condescending statements about her, then you try it to make it out to be that you really care about her–oh, my bleeding heart! I hope you would never have to be on my side in anything; you would stab whoever in the back and tell them “Oh, I really care about you but I’m just concerned about your ideological deviances from my righteous point of view.”

33. pottsf says:

Lauren’s spirited self-defense leaves me with a clear impression of an articulate, determined agent capable of advancing and defending a controversial position most capably.

I suspect that, among other (more-) respectable callings, the law would be a field in which she would excel. And I intend this entirely as a compliment.

34. Jess says:

Lauren, I applaud you for being proud of who you are and for trying to take steps to get out ahead of the story. The hypocrites that watch porn and then denounce those who act in it are just awful excuses for humans.

Hang in there.

35. Hi my name is Danielle and I am the editor in chief of The Chronicle. I wanted to take a moment to respond to Lauren’s response to the article we recently published “Portrait of a Porn Star.” Katie spent several weeks getting to know Lauren in an effort to publish an article that expressed her unique viewpoints as both a Duke student and worker in the adult film industry. In her article, Katie brings to light the cyberbulling and stigmatization Lauren has endured, while discussing her viewpoints on the profession itself and feminism. I hope that those topics raised in the article have started sincere dialogue on Duke’s campus.

To be clear, this story was never posted in an effort to exploit Lauren’s story. Rather, we wanted to be the first media outlet to publish this piece because we knew we could give the story more thorough treatment than other news organizations that we believe were planning to publish it. Lauren had spoken briefly to other news outlets that were planning to run with it. In contrast, Katie interviewed Lauren several times over the course of several weeks, both in on the record and off the record settings. Our story was based on interviews that were on the record. All direct quotes in the article can be found on The Chronicle’s audio files of these on the record interviews, some of which are embedded in the article itself. The piece went through over 6 hours of editing and fact checking to ensure its validity.

I have offered Lauren the opportunity to publish a personal narrative in print and online so that she may relay her life in her own words. I hope that she will take The Chronicle up on this offer.

Lauren is correct in saying that we agreed to send her quotes prior to publication. We have apologized personally to her for failing to do this. I would like to add that The Chronicle and most news organizations are not required to send quotes prior to publication and may choose to do so as a courtesy to the source. Additionally, sending quotes does not give the source the authority to choose which ones run—as all quotes were recorded in on the record settings, Lauren had given us consent to use them as we see fit.

I wanted to add that she was never misquoted. All quotes were taken from on the record, recorded interviews that we have on file. As Lauren herself also points out, the facts Katie present are factually accurate, the issue she has is the way in which they were presented in this story. As this article is a Towerview piece it is written in a different style than our news articles, and of course that should welcome versatile opinions regarding the stylistic nature of the piece. However, to insult Katie as a reporter and say she was unethical and did not include factually accurate information is a complete and utter lie. Again, Katie centered her story entirely on information given to her on the record, and her credibility as a reporter should not be disputed.

All of our efforts to report and verify our story stands in sharp contrast to the lack of reporting done by Develle Dish who never checked any of Lauren’s statements with either me or Katie. To then denounce integrity of The Chronicle and a very hardworking reporter who spent several weeks doing our due diligence on this story is hypocritical.

• Responder says:

“Lauren is correct in saying that we agreed to send her quotes prior to publication. We have apologized personally to her for failing to do this. I would like to add that The Chronicle and most news organizations are not required to send quotes prior to publication”.

This, dear, is called a lie, and there is no use in justifying it. This exact situation is commonplace in Chronicle interviews, and having their editor defend such a lie only further decreases the Chronicle’s integrity.

• Chronicle Insider says:

You say “commonplace,” and Danielle says “required”—totally different things. So you did not catch Danielle in a lie.

Whoever you are, you clearly do not work at The Chronicle. Otherwise, you would know that they do not send quotes unless the source specifically asks for it. And even if they do, the reporters and editors reserve the right to keep the quotes as they have recorded them, even if the source wants changes.

This is the case at most news organizations.

A couple years ago, the Harvard Crimson made the decision never to allow sources to review quotes. Additionally, I was recently at a dinner with a NY Times reporter where he discussed a spirited internal debate at the NY Times about whether or not it is appropriate to send quotes prior to publication. The Chronicle’s standards are up to snuff.

This debate really has no bearing on the matter at hand, but I dislike when people disrespect an organization like The Chronicle (and use patronizing terms like “dear”) when they have no idea how it works or the time, energy, thought, and hand-wringing over ethics that goes into putting a piece like this together.

• js374@duke.edu says:

Maybe more “time, energy, thought and hand-wringing” should have gone into this piece.

You were given access to the most vulnerable interviewee The Chronicle has published about in my four years here. She was explicitly speaking to The Chronicle because she wanted control over the way her story was released.

If you can’t live up to the basic promise you made to a vulnerable source your standards don’t seem “up to snuff” to me.

Finally, I think Danielle Muoio attacking Develle Dish for not being a news organisation is rich. Lauren tried to speak through The Chronicle and was disappointed. Develle Dish is the only organisation that gave her an unedited forum for her own voice. That seems like a valuable resource to me.

• Chronicle Insider says:

The Chronicle is a journalistic organization, not a soap box for its sources. Good journalists (like Katie) do not let sources dictate their stories. Otherwise, they would have no purpose.

People criticize Fox News/Wall Street Journal/Etc all the time because they allow those with a conservative agenda to control the story without allowing any objectivity. The Chronicle tries to maintain its journalistic integrity by not letting the source control the story like that. If Lauren didn’t want (or expect) The Chronicle to write what it deemed to be a fair story, she should not have agreed to do an interview. She should have written a letter to the editor or a guest opinion column.

And Develle Dish is a perfectly acceptable blog, great for sharing OPINIONS and THOUGHTS but not NEWS. News is objective and fact-based, not opinion-based. It’s a fundamental difference in definition, not legitimacy.

I am repeatedly surprised with the number of people at this university who seem to have never opened up a newspaper before in their lives.

Also, why are we so quick to assume that Lauren (a freshman nervous about her sudden publicity) is telling the truth and not The Chronicle (full of junior and senior editors going into professional journalism)?

• whatever says:

Uhmmm… that isn’t a lie.

• Gary says:

@Danielle:

So then you’re saying that you’ve got recorded audio of Lauren asking: “Do you think I’ll be on Ellen?”

Also, are you saying that Lauren is lying here, and that her comments regarding frats and sororities were on the record?

• Not The Pulitzer Committee says:

D. Muoio said: “Again, Katie centered her story entirely on information given to her on the record, and her credibility as a reporter should not be disputed.”

Really? Reporters’ credibility is questioned every day on Capitol Hill and on Wall Street. What, precisely, is it about Chronicle reporters that gives *them* a pass?

If you truly believe that reporters’ credibility “should not be disputed,” then either you’re not actually a Journalism major or else you’re incredibly naive. Or both.

36. Michael says:

The guy who outed her, Thomas Bagley is REALLY UGLY, looking at his facebook. And he thinks a porn star will sleep with him. Talk about delusions of grandiosity.

37. Jessie says:

Hi Lauren- I work at Duke, but have little interaction with students. Just wanted to say you go, girl. I’m sorry that you were “outed” and have to deal with all of this, but keep your chin up! This will all die down and you will go on to do great things. Hang in there, and know that I, and many others, support you and your choices.

• TruthHurts says:

Her story seems innocent and she portrays herself as the victim. From new facts that I have heard first hand from her regarding her situation, you may want to change your mind.

• a h says:

Gross that a father is on this board. Do as you wish Lauren. The beauty of being a woman is that its your body and you can do what you wish with it.

38. A father says:

Maybe you should have chosen a less expensive school and kept your pants on. Your surprise at the response you’ve gotten only proves your naivete. Smarten up. Go to a school you can afford with a job that doesn’t consist of faking orgasms. Then people will leave you alone. It might help to change your name, too. Welcome to the USA, a country that still enforces cultural norms, no matter how much you wish it didn’t

• TruthHurts says:

I totally agree with “A father”, although I believe that Lauren/Aurora would have engaged in these activities anyways.

• Jono says:

Maybe you should go and fuck yourself to death, dickweed.

• Alex says:

Further if this is the sort of people they let in Duke then all they care about is the money. No standards.

• MLT says:

Maybe you should get off your pedestal and worry more about your own kid. She wanted to go to Duke and is making it happen. No 18 year old can afford Duke, the PARENTS can. So just because her parents couldn’t afford it doesn’t mean she shouldn’t go where she wants to go. It’s a-holes like you belittling her that are the real problem.

• Wowowowwo says:

In this twisted system of the USA, the choice of colleges matter. This will lead to the better choice of graduate school, and eventually lead to a better outcome. Besides, what’s wrong with sex? It is the norm to have sex. Why shouldn’t she get paid for it?

• Suzanne says:

Welcome to the USA, “a father”, an free country where cultural norms are rapidly evolving no matter how much you wish they’d stay frozen in 1950, and men like you are dying off like flies no matter how conscientiously you take your statins.

• SSS says:

TERRIBLE COMMENT

39. “To be perfectly honest, I felt more degraded in a minimum wage, blue-collar, low paying, service job than I ever did doing porn.”

It’s funny that so many liberal men and “feminist” women are defending this girl, when it all comes down to the fact that she’s afraid of a little hard work, and thinks her shit doesn’t stink.

I have no problem with women doing porn, but you can’t have it both way and not expect people to react to that decision.

Feminism is teaching women to deal with their problems by blaming men, making false rape claims, and expecting entitlement even when they make bad choices.

If she wants to let a bunch of dirty old men use her to make money for the enjoyment of other men, so be it. But don’t expect the rest of the world not to notice that you’re afraid to work like the rest of us.

• Payne says:

This is pretty poisonous and ignorant. Few people can succeed as students at Duke by being afraid of hard work. And your characterization of feminism is bizarre and unfounded.

40. Ryk says:

When I first read this article, with the byline Hanna Metaferia, I thought that was the real name of Laura/Aurora, but that does not seem to be the case.
    Hopefully this “controversy” is temporary and Lauren can just got on with her life. She comes across articulate and smart. I think a majority of people watch porn, at least once. It’s kind of hypocritical to watch it and judge someone for making it.
    Date raping Frat boys bother me more.

41. M says:

Lauren,

You do not need to demonstrate anything to anybody. Sadly, people will continue to bash you because they know it will get under your skin. You know the truth and that’s all that matters. Those who attack you honestly have nothing better to do.

I hope this all blows over soon. Good luck in school.

MF.

42. Mels says:

Who knows, you might not need to tell your parents, grandparents, sibs aunts, uncles and cousins if they happen to view one of your movies.

43. Tompengo says:

This whole thing blew up because the Chronicle promised to review the article/quotes a priori (which we all agree is unusual) but failed to do so. Sorry Danielle, but glossing over this critical error with a “but hey, we apologized” just doesn’t cut it. At least say it like you mean it.

44. GoodLuck says:

When I first read this, I thought “you go,” because I would never have the confidence to do something like that. But after hearing some of your rebuttals I do find it hard to believe that you sincerely thought this issue would be left alone and people would respect you for the decision, even when you put feminist lens on it. The stigma is definitely not going to go away anytime soon and I feel bad for the negative attention you’ve received recently, (male undergrads making it their mission to have sex with you before they graduate – as if that’s some accomplishment), but you had to see some of that coming. I respect you, and actually I have more questions for you and felt this would probably be the best way to reach out to you. Honestly best of luck with the rest of your time here at Duke… it’s hard enough as it is.

45. Jono says:

I’m far more offended by your libertarianism than I could ever be by a decision to do porn.

46. Popcorn ready says:

“Lauren”

Not to rain on your pity parade, but you don’t really think Duke students are as naive as you are? Right? To claim you do porn, because you want to pay your school tuition is hilarious. Really? And please tell us again what mommy and daddy do for a living. To call out a journalist for misquoting or misrepresenting you is another cry for attention. That’s what you do. That’s what you are. What did you think would happen? Just wait to see what’ll happen if the truth actually comes out your “financial struggle”.

You crave attention and fame, yet don’t realize you’re doing it at the complete expense of any values. You don’t do it to pay the bills, please come clean about that. And by going around and saying you do, just further implies that you’ll say or do anything to manipulate others into thinking you’re someone you’re not. I don’t care what you do, I just see that you skew the truth to make yourself look better. Calling out a respected journalist is a pathetic cry for more attention.

By all means sleep around and “earn” your salary, but don’t assume people will buy the “girl in distress” garbage you’re saying. There are actual Duke students that do what it takes to study here, and you give the ones fighting to keep our heads above water a bad reputation. Some of us struggle trying to get by day to day, and those are the students that you are trying to emulate. And for that you’re wrong!

Handbags, new iPads or whatever else you buy is not anyone’s business. You can flaunt whatever you want, but at least own the real you. If you love sex, enjoy doing porn and want to gain fame… Then own it. Don’t pretend you’re this intellectual feminist. You’ll just set women back. I don’t condone it, but you’re more than entitled to do what you please.

I came to Duke, because of it’s liberal nature. People will accept you, because this school is wonderful. We do out best to overlook differences and that’s what brought me to Duke. I wish you the best, but don’t think people won’t really know (or will find out) about your so called financial situation. Duke is understanding and more accepting than most schools. The only problem is most of us can spot BS and you reek of fresh crap.

Being a man, is truly respecting women. I respect you. I would never look down on you. I think it takes courage to interview and do what you do. And I pray that everything gets easier. I’m one of those struggling Duke students. I work full time to be able to graduate from this amazing school. My parents are not lawyers or doctors. They aren’t covering my tuition.

Do you know how ironic that you speak of women’s studies and feminism? How does sleeping on camera help women’s fight toward equality? I understand the fight to stay afloat financially at this school, but that’s not entirely the case with you. And please don’t claim to do what you do for the righteous cause for women. Comparing being a waitress to a porn worker is offensive. Like stretching the truth behind why you have sex for money, it’s another way for you to justify what you do. No one of any regard for women equality is going to consider taking you seriously when you say things like that. C’mon no one that types “how to be a porn star” on their web browser should ever be put in the same sentence with feminism. The star implies that it’s a long term career path. Not a last resort to help her financial situation. No problem, go right ahead, but don’t blame guys for wanting to sleep with you. It is in fact what you do.

Stop trying to defend your actions with lies, and be genuine. It’s easy money, you’re a sexual person (nothing wrong with that) and it makes you happy. Where you enrage people is by trying to manipulate with lies of tuition and some righteous cause for women.

It will blow over. The attention will die down, and then you’ll have to figure out what you have to do to get it again. Attention is an awful drug and you’re obviously addicted. The only thing you failed to consider is the negative attention you’d receive and now you’re trying to save face. What will you do when the whole truth comes out? Now for that, I’d need some popcorn.

• MaryM says:

You make a lot of proclamations without substantiating your assertions. 1. You said you were a man, so how would you know about the inclusive nature the student body shows toward women? You wouldn’t have the first clue because you don’t experience it. 2. You say you respect women but you call her attention seeking and devalue her job, discredit her article, and worse provide no proof for your accusations. That’s anything but respect. 3. The definition of a feminist is someone how believes women and men should be treated equally. Do they not encourage dictionaries at Duke? Feminism has nothing to do with profession and everything to do with equal rights. Her job does not diminish her feminism, but your comments diminish your alleged feminism. Last, your particular comment is a prime example of the hatred, discrimination, and intolerance she of which she speaks. You have validated her claims.

• The Truth says:

In response to 2. “you call her attention seeking and devalue her job, discredit her article”, I’m pretty sure whoever wrote that would do the same if Lauren was a Larry. That’s equality, sister. ;)

As for, “worse provide no proof for your accusations”, that is called respecting her anonymity.

• Not The Pulitzer Committee says:

Multiple comma splices, unsupported presumptions and assertions, misuse of ellipses and at least one sentence fragment.

That’s good, solid “D” work, son. See me after class.

47. Wow. says:

Reading through all of the comments on here is just ridiculous. It’s amazing how much people care about something that has literally no impact on their life other than providing them with something new to gossip about.
    Lauren, the fact that this blew up so badly sucks a lot and I am really sorry for you. But I really hope you can keep your chin up through all of this and tell all the crazies to go fuck themselves (realistically half of them probably have already while watching your videos). College, let alone Duke, is expensive as fuck. Hell if I could do porn to pay it off I would do it in a heartbeat. Live your life, get a good education from your surprisingly narrow minded university, and have sex with whoever you want regardless of whether there’s a camera there.
    For everyone else giving her shit, find something better to do with your lives. Jesus Christ.

• Mels says:

You can do porn. Go for it.

• Payne says:

You know, that’s actually a good point.

People make it out like it’s easy money and Lauren is one of a select few who have access to it by genes and dumb luck. My impression is that there are many different kinds of people who “go do porn”; but most people don’t because it involves both hard choices and hard work.

48. Alex says:

“To clarify, every penny that I make from porn goes to paying my tuition. I do not lead a lavish lifestyle as Katie suggests (although I definitely wish I did).”

All of this is beside the point. Did you not have parents? If so, they failed.

49. […] a Friday posting at a Duke-sponsored blogging website called Develle Dish after the piece in The Chronicle came out, the porn-making student expressed frustration about the […]

50. Marit says:

Hi Lauren!

I hope you receive this message because I really want to express my admiration for your bravery and poise. You obviously have a remarkably strong sense of self for someone so young. I’m a hetero woman who loves sex and loves watching porn, and I have often wished there were more feminist role models in the industry. I think people often perceive adult film stars–especially women–as victims at best and as subhuman at worst. To read your interview and see you assert your own humanity and your own agency was so refreshing to me. I am hopeful that you will be able to bring about positive changes in the porn world and change the way our society views the sex industry!

51. Lee says:

Lauren- You are a vibrant young woman who has the intelligence, resilience and strength to accomplish anything you want to in this world. Keep your head up high. You’re an awesome human being.
    Lee, Santa Barbara, CA

52. Dave says:

I genuinely feel bad for this girl. It’s hard for people to understand what’s it’s like to be a poor student at a rich kid’s school. I was, it sucked. I’ve got the loans to prove it. That aside, even with your mother out of work your father must be making bank not to qualify for federal aid. If he’s not helping you or is out of the picture then you have to get yourself off of his tax return as a dependent so you can self file and get aid. There has to be another way. If there isn’t then you try and transfer to another school. Which shouldn’t be hard if your grades are good and you are coming from Duke after all. Good luck in life. I really hope you come out of this situation all the better and learn from it. In life, it’s all that really matters.

53. Tompengo says:

Lauren – I’m not sure what to believe. It sounds like you’re much better off than you initially indicated and had basically made your choices with the hopes that you could lead a double-life. I suppose the issues are the same and will unfold in a manner that is somewhat unpredictable at this time. Better expect leaving little else kept normal or x-rated.

54. Dan says:

You should consider transferring to Carolina. We’d love to have you, and I suspect you’d find it a better place to spend the remainder of your college years. (This is not meant to be a knock on Duke, but rather highlight how UNC differs from Duke on some of the dimensions that you’ve expressed as important or concerning…) UNC is more open and inclusive than Duke, has a much larger student body, and delivers more bang for your buck. If you want to go into business, which seems like a great fit based on the limited amount I know about you, UNC is one of the best options period. (http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/business-overall)

Either way, I admire your independence and courage, and I wish you all the best.

55. Danny Gelgeson says:

Duke? My dog has the same name. Wierd. Do you know him?

56. Juggernauzt says:

Some frat boys are degenerates who choose the rant about meeting someone who is clearly out of their league. Not all are alike though but I’ve seen a couple say things that are considered “hazing” These type of “boys” fantasize about meeting a woman purely for sex, with no or little conversation. Such men are shallow, conceited and seek to treat women like sex objects. I’m sure they do the same at strip clubs. Regardless, harm has been brought to you for no good reason and the school has protections for all students.

Women want intellectual conversation and they want peace of mind and the serenity that is common for all Americans who work in all other professions. Such people also denigrate people who work with their hands, especially farm work and meat processing. While some of this may not apply to such frat boys, they are just shallow “boys” regardless. Clearly this person is too aggressive in his pursuits as are others in his fraternity. Now the media are involved. A Civil Rights attorney Like Gloria Alred could help you if you need professional advice and or legal counsel.

Hazing is a crime in most states and on most college campuses. Fraternities and sororities require all members to sign an Anti-Hazing agreement or No-Hazing agreement. If you feel this sorted character has “hazed” you or if another member has, file a complaint with the school. In fact, if they publicize your name, that too is a violation of your privacy whether they like it or not. Why? Because they seek you out for perverted reasons and the sexual inclination is a violation of your civil rights and campus rights. Good luck and God bless, this conservative stands with you.

Juggernauzt

57. Tompengo says:

The cherry blossoms on the UNC campus are nice!

58. Anonymous says:

Since this post was written by Lauren/Aurora, I figure she may follow these comments. I just thought she may want to connect with Mark Gibney at UNCA. As I understand it, they have similar interests in human rights law. Also, he posed for Play Girl back in the 80′s and received some unwanted attention. However, the double standard for women means Lauren/Aurora will receive more backlash. One of the news articles from when he posed for Play Girl can be found here: http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2706&dat=19820612&id=UAdKAAAAIBAJ&sjid=mR4NAAAAIBAJ&pg=5501,2510066

59. Shaina says:

I wonder how many of the people making hateful remarks toward this woman would have the guts to do so if:

1) the magical cloak of Internet anonymity came off and they had to use their real names, and
    2) they had to display the contents of their browser cache.

• Again, taxes. There has to be a paper trail. says:

Nope, I’d still say it.

Do porn, fine.

Don’t defraud the grant system by not including ALL of your income. There are students who ACTUALLY need it.

Again, you can’t make tens of thousands of dollars legally without paying some sort of taxes on it. That would therefore prove her true financial status. You still have to claim money you made out of state!

60. A name says:

By my calculations Belle, to pay for Duke’s tuition at about $60.000 you would have to do over 50 scenes. Which is very doable in a colander year, but since you are doing it during “breaks” it’s not possible. If you get paid, lets say $1500 a scene and I can’t see you making more than that a scene, but lets say it’s $1500 a scene, after taxes at about 30% state and federal (since you are working in California you are subjected to their income tax) your take home pay per scene is about $1100. $60,000 divided by $1100 is 54.54, so you need to do 55 scenes and that’s if 100% of your money is going to tuition. So are you really doing 10 scenes per break? I doubt it.

Let’s just call a spade a spade, you’re hot, you want to earn quick money, and you like sex. Is some of the money going toward tuition? Sure, but unless you are doing 2 scenes a day in 5 weeks then there is no way doing this comes close to covering your tuition cost.

Honestly, do what you want to. Who cares what people think. The only person you have to answer to is yourself. You’re hot, the dudes hating want to sleep with you and the girls hating wish they had your money.

• Anonymous says:

It seems you have forgotten the concept of financial aid. The Chronicle article says that she uses the money she makes from porn to supplement the financial aid she receives and Lauren comments the same thing above. Nowhere is it implied that she’s making $60,000 a year from doing this so you can save the calculations.

• You must have never applied for it because you have... says:

forgotten that you have to prove your financial status to receive that….so I guess there goes her plan for next year now that the Financial Aid Office knows that she does have a job.

• Not The Pulitzer Committee says:

Your scenario is doubtful at best. Even if she made the $84K generously conjectured by Mark Spiegel of the Business Insider, she’d still be eligible for some degree of aid; a household with an aggregate $84K gross per annum would still be eligible for a fairly good sized aid package.

Further, it’s entirely possible that the FAO is aware of her income and that the IRS is, too. I see no reason why she wouldn’t simply declare herself emancipated and qualify for financial aid based on her own economic situation. It worked just fine for me 30+ years ago.

And depending on how her pay is structured (either as a 1099, a pass-thru or as a contract employee of her agency), *someone* is sending payment records on her to the IRS — and that would make failure to declare that income (either to the FAO or the state/federal tax authorities) a very bad idea.

Long story short, there’s more financial upside for her if she’s forthright with the FAO and the taxman than there is if she hides that information from them. Maybe you haven’t thought your scenario through very well.

• A name says:

In her rebuttal on another site she said she’s doing this to come out of school debt free. How is she going to do that if she isn’t covering her tuition for an entire year? I call bullshit on her entire story. I don’t care what she does, like I said earlier she only has to answer to herself, but her long, convoluted story about her hardships is falling on deaf ears.

• SSS says:

GOOD COMMENT

61. Clear thinker? says:

Why are these simple fact so hard to understand: sex is an important part of human life, and most men are hard-wired to seek it. Sex work is as old as our species. I don’t understand why some men degrade the women who occupy this niche that they seem to value so much!

62. aelfheld says:

A ‘sex worker’ is a prostitute is a whore. The terminology may have changed but what is being described hasn’t.

As for the rest of it, if you don’t want to be embarrassed don’t do things that will embarrass you.

63. Anonymous says:

Is this really that big of a deal?

Lauren, keep it up, porn is fun, being in touch with your sexuality is too. I’m glad you can pay for your tuition and have fun doing it at the same time. I put myself through 8 years of private school on my own and I wish I had the balls to do something like that to pay for it. Don’t let other people subject you to their morality. There are tons of people out there who support you in spirit.

64. amy says:

I don’t know why people are surprised by negative responses towards her. There probably shouldn’t be, as people have said, sex work is as old as human existence and it’s not going away. The thing is they have a right to call her naive, how could she not think doing porn would eventually blow up in her face at some point. Comments about her being a whore and a glorified prostitute are bound to stick with her, when her parents find out her dad is probably going to disown her(i don’t know him but i bet he practically will disown her),as someone said in a comment, if she has kids they will eventually find videos of men jizzing on their mother.That is of course if she has kids, 99% of guys would not be in a serious relationship or be married to someone who did porn.

If you want to do porn that is your choice but you should be ready to deal with consequences such as these, it may not be right but that’s how the world is and she should have known that.

65. […] hasn’t gotten any easier since the story — which wrongly accused Laura of being naïve and carrying designer handbags, Laura claims — blew up on the school’s anonymous campus message boards. “At Duke, I […]

• ? says:

If this is a reply to something, i dont get what your point is. “I expressed to Katie on numerous occasions that the most hurtful comments my cyber bullies had made was that I am a naïve little girl who doesn’t understand the consequences of her actions.” moaning about being called naive when she clearly is.The consequences where almost assured, she would not have done porn if she was not naive enough to think these consequences wouldn’t happen.

• amy says:

If this is a reply to the above post, I dont see your point. Everything I said stands.

• anonymous says:

Your comment was almost not offensive with the exception of the statement, “That is of course if she has kids, 99% of guys would not be in a serious relationship or be married to someone who did porn.” 73% of statistics are made up on the spot. They also really lend themselves to vast generalizations.

Thanks for reinforcing the double standard for women and making the conversation about women’s sexuality entirely about the needs and wants of men.

• amy says:

’73% is made up on the spot’,good to see you kept humour in your post, and when someone says 99% it is normally an expression meaning the overwhelming majority. Prove me wrong,almost all guys would fuck a pornstar, but almost all guys would not be in a relationship with one. This is not talking about her sexuality being only for the satisfaction of men, this talking about one draw back of many that her actions are bound to cause.

66. Tompengo says:

To all of you saying she’s doing it for “attention”, yada yada – show some empathy. I mean, hello?! Did you ever stop to think why any girl would do porn?! Only $ – barely (no pun) any girl would do it for “attention” because our society doesn’t embrace it that way. Give Lauren a break.

67. EMT says:

Hi Lauren,

I do not know you (I do not even go to Duke…I am a Tar Heel). I read your story and I honestly just wanted to tell you that it have so much courage for publishing your story. I won’t insult you by saying that I can imagine what you must have been going through, because I honestly can’t. I greatly admire your strength and your determination to complete your education; I admire you for not taking the easy path and simply dropping out of college, I admire you for fighting for your dreams, I admire you for not letting your temporary career choice define you as a person. I honestly hate it when people judge others based on what they do…it is so easy for them to assume that you might be a slut, they won’t even bother to get to know you better, to understand your decision and to admire the courage it took to carry it out.

I just wanted to let you know that I do not think you are a slut, lost or a whore! I just think you are a strong young woman fighting to fulfill her dreams. Keep your head up girl! you have no reason to believe me….but I am sure everything will turn out just fine. Don’t let people’s hurtful words get to you (it comes from ignorance)

Best of luck!
    A fellow female college student ;)

68. Someone Else says:

In my personal opinion, I agree that you are not doing this for tuition, you are using that as an excuse to further your own legitimacy as to why you would turn to the porn industry. In my personal experience when I was applying for financial aid it was based upon my parents income, this might be different at Duke.

I went off on a limb and found some of your work, I won’t out your stage name, out of respect to you, but it was the ‘Casting Couch’ audition that most intrigued me. Whether or not you were acting or being honest is up for discussion. I’ll just give the gist, rather than direct quotes, of what you say and leave it up to the reader to go and check the segment out themselves. In the discussion part of the interview, the guy asks what does being a porn star mean to you, you replied, it means being rich and famous ect ect. Again whether or not this is what you really meant is up for debate. You then go on to explain your upbringing as being nerdy and on the debate team. Later you explain how you wanna go to school to become a human rights activist and a lawyer as well as advocate for women’s rights through pornography. You then go on into pretty good detail about being a feminist and advocating for the legalization of prostitution and rights for sex workers. This part is in-line with what your saying now. Again I’d suggest the reader to go and find the video to get the full details (I’m sorry, but because of societal factors, your stage name was rather easy to find).

Overall, while I personally am against hardcore porn for profit, I’m in no position to stop you or to stop you from advocating it. I also believe that you should be able to be left in peace and continue whatever path you decide upon.

• Ella says:

Of course she’s going to say she wants to be rich and famous.. that’s what people want to hear. Nobody wants to watch porn and hear about a girl wanting to pay her tuition because she can’t afford it. Also, in that video she did talk about activism.
      its just acting. You’re looking way too much into this.

69. Ray says:

Lauren/Aurora, I applaud you for telling your story.
    In life we all have tough choices to make just to get by.
    You do what you have to do. No one’s judgment on your life is better than your own. I hope you continue to kick tail in school and get your degree. I hope you get the best career you could possibly imagine having and live a fulfilled life. It’s what we all dream to have and what we deserve. God bless you. Much Love.

70. MaryM says:

Lauren,
    I’m glad someone linked your reply in the Chronicle article. The part about you giddy over an Ellen interview made me think you were a narcissist seeking attention, but I’m glad I got the truth from you. A lesson everyone should know is when you talk to a “journalist” they take free license to skew the article to suit a particular agenda or opinion. They omit facts, misrepresent data, and sometimes lie. I’ve personally seen this as a Army Veteran who talked to one journalist. Good luck with your education and future endeavors.

• Anonymous says:

Please refrain from stereotyping all journalists based on one personal experience and another that you have only read about. Good journalists like Katie don’t aim to skew anything one way or another, but represent the facts and situation fairly. No one is perfect and if they had written about Lauren in a totally complimentary way, it wouldn’t be a realistic portrait.

71. Matt says:

Hey ‘Lauren’ how about you publish your name if you’re so courageous? Wait I forgot, because sex workers are viewed as almost ‘untouchables’ in American society for a reason. It’s not that you’re having sex and simply getting paid, you’re having sex, getting paid, and then pimping yourself out for the ENTIRE world to see. The whole world can see you moaning and groaning in beautiful HD. This is the way it works: the world watches your work, gets off on it, then proceeds to shun the ‘adult film’ community. That’s just the way it is. You could’ve went to a cheaper school than Duke and not had to pimp yourself out. Good luck in law or politics, the upper-crust of American society–who likely watches your work–will still not want to associate with you. Too bad, I found your work to be pretty good, you’re a little too young looking for my taste, but oh well–have fun getting fired each time your employer finds out you were in porn. Employment discrimination based upon being a porn star is not illegal and it should stay that way–welcome to duplicitous and hypocritical America, God bless it!

• funk says:

Lol, this is so correct.Doing porn to get the money to go to an expensive college is such a pyyrhic victory. Once you get that degree people are going to deny you employment and respect on a regular basis because of your past in porn, and there is mostly nothing legal you can do about it.your work at college will be wothless. You are doing something like gender studies which is already worthless, but an ex porn star with that degree, haha, good luck. You are either going to have to find some niche or some luck or just continue doing porn.

• SSS says:

INTERESTING COMMENT

72. Jean says:

I know a girl who has a criminal justice degree. Instead of doing porn, she worked in strip clubs, did escort, and had at least 25 customers before her 20th birthday. She didn’t have any problem with paying for schools or pay her rent on time while she was in college. Now she has a good career in the criminal justice system. I wish you had taken that route in order to avoid any repercussion from the work you’re doing. It’s funny how people are: they enjoy getting satisfaction from watching porn and yet criticize those who performed the act. Good luck on your career.

73. Props to you says:

Lauren,

I may have read a different article that what you are describing/correcting above, but none the less I have to give you props. It takes a lot of to do what you have said. Your words are strong, and well thought out. Your industry would seem to be one of the more difficult to be in, however it does eventually get you to be wear you want, and that is what matters most. One thing I’ve learned is every career has it’s own judgement (yours is one of the more rough and I’m sorry), an accountant: A jew; stingy bastard. A brewery/distillery worker: alcoholic. Businessman in sales: Complete douchebag. Businesswomen in sales: Sex sells. Construction worker: brain dead ape. I digress with all of this, all of these professions have certain….places with certain people, but I have met them, and been them, and none of its true, the same goes with your profession. You keep doing what you are doing…Props to you again…achieve your dreams.

74. B K says:

Amazing courage to face the world. It’s typical that people have double standards. Like a comment that was made, it’s ok to enjoy porn but look down on the porn stars?

From a typical guy’s perspective, I’d love to watch your work, and of course I’d also fantasise about making out with you. Back in the real world, I applaud you in finding your own way to pay your bills, though I would have suggested you find other methods.

Strength of character … good for you.

75. lst says:

This girl is disgracing women everywhere. Many women have faced the same difficulty finding the resources to pay for school and did not feel the need to turn to porn. This is so clearly a desperate little girl’s cry for attention. It’s sad that she is being labeled a feminist, because it demeans everything actual feminists represent.

• zeb says:

Have you read THE FEMINIST PORN BOOK, you ignoramus?

• anonymous says:

You meant “some feminists represent.” There are different veins for a reason. Unfortunately, calling an adult woman “a desperate little girl” doesn’t fit into any of them.

76. Honest Hal says:

“Lauren” is definitely a whore. Everyone is saying she’s a nice person and is probably innocent, yeah right. What type of person do you need to be to do porn? Even the sluttiest girls I know aren’t capable of doing porn. You can be a slut and still be completely terrified and scared on a porn set. “Lauren” definitely has a lot of confidence in her sex skills. She probably had sex with hundreds of guys before starting porn. Porn stars are also attention whores. There are tons of jobs out there that can get you money fast. Going the porn route just means you like to be recorded and placed online to be seen. “Lauren” enjoys the idea of guys fapping to her videos. Gross. “Lauren” should be kicked out of school as she is a prime example of an unethical disgrace to the school.

• Not The Pulitzer Committee says:

Hal said: “You can be a slut and still be completely terrified and scared on a porn set.”

Voice of experience there, Hal?

77. duke alumni says:

Hi Lauren,
    I graduated a few years back. Same major :) Your writing is great and your interview was incredibly articulate. Good luck with school!

78. Priscilla says:

As a fellow student at Syracuse University with two jobs to support myself, I understand the struggle of paying for tuition and going through your studies. i am so sorry for how people have been treating you. But remember this, you stood up with your truth and proclaimed it to the world… and I respect that and wish you the best of luck.

79. Isaiah says:

Hey,
    I wanted to say I really appreciated what you wrote in xojane and for standing up to the backlash of expectations/insecurities/judgement that’s swirling around you right now.

I don’t really know in depth the details of your story, but I believe this issue-taking ownership of your actions and making decisions that are honest and open to your present self is so important. And I want to acknowledge how brave I think you are for making choices even against the weight and the pressure of so many. And for serving as an example, which I hope will encourage others and open the conversations about this again and again :).

Also, something you said here really struck me, about how you’re going through this for the first time, often without good advice. It’s hard, I’m sure. And I hope you cut yourself some slack for not always having a good answer, or the one other people wish you had.

80. Fellow Feminist says:

Lauren,

Just in case you’re still reading these comments, I wanted to thank you for telling your story. The general public is certainly not owed any explanation from you, and the fact that you’re not afraid to voice your opinions on a very controversial subject is commendable.

Quite frankly, as long as you enthusiastically consent to porn, it doesn’t matter to me why you do it. Whether you participate because it covers tuition or just because it plain gets you off your choice is equally valid.

As both a feminist and a rising porn starlet, I imagine that you’ve heard of Tristan Taormino, but if not, I wanted to throw her name out there as a resource to you. You could check out her website, read her articles, watch her videos, listen to her radio show, or even shoot her an email to see if she’ll come speak at Duke.

I think Taormino says it best: “We must confront society’s rigid constructions of sex and gender. Arm yourself with accurate sex education. Ignore what’s expected of you. Create relationships based in reality, not fairy tales. Explore your authentic desires, fantasies, and boundaries, and nurture them. Don’t strive to be normal—strive to be you.”

– A Duke Alumna

81. The Truth says:

YOU’RE 19 YEARS OLD!! OF COURSE YOU’RE FUCKING NAIVE.

82. A parent says:

As the parent of a freshman (not at Duke) my initial reaction was how sad it is to read the media frenzy regarding a student’s personal and private choices. It is unfortunate that this young woman was placed in the position of having to make a choice of seeking employment because the school was incapable of offering her more financial aid and the economy impeded her parents from being able to assume the financial responsibility. As a parent I have always told my children that their job is to focus on school we will focus on the finances. But it is not always the case that a child can be afforded that luxury. And I think that “father’s” comments stem from a deplorable abundance of ignorance. How can a parent judge like that? To me it is a reflection of an education system gone awry that any student should find that the only way to afford education today is by working in an industry fraught with societal stigma and ignorant judgment. What does that say about the cost of education? This young woman assumed a mantle of responsibility far in excess of her years to seek a quality education. That she ever had to make that decision means somewhere along the line the system failed her. Educational costs are out of control and the concept of affordable education is a Washingtonian catchphrase that sounds great but is devoid of substance.

To the gossip perpetrators shame on you. As the Bible says judge not lest he be judged. And let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

83. Lily says:

Uhh, “Lauren.” You get paid for the sex and then you yell out “feminism empowerment” to defend yourself? Just because an individual goes to a prestigious school does not mean he or she has all the right and proper set of professionalism. The admissions office can’t possibly see through everything. Duke University or not, this girl is only getting her say in this because she goes there. What if she was a random porn star on the streets? Why aren’t they given the same lime light? Don’t always associate good character with good grades. To close, honey, simply put, that’s not how the world works. Gooood luck.

84. Robbie says:

For all of you condemning Lauren, how many of you watch porn? And how many of you do it for free on promotional outlets, supported by paying members (like listening to NPR without donating)? Did it ever occur to you that the people in the videos are, well, real people? People with the same spectrum of personal desires, goals, thoughts, beliefs and, yes, the freedom to express their sexuality as they wish? These are our daughters, sons, brothers, sisters, and transgender friends. And, believe it or not, these people may have different personal views of their sexuality than you. How many of you watch porn because these people are experiencing their sexuality in ways you wish you could?

I’m also with some earlier commenters that Bagley has gotten only a fraction of the grief as Lauren. He was consuming her product, and likely that of dozens of other porn actors and actresses. People like Bagley are the reason the industry exists.

To Lauren, focus on the tremendous support this community is giving you. I’m sure you knew that with the internet, this day would come, but not as quickly as freshman year.

If I may give you two bits of advice: A basic tenet of journalistic objectivity is that sources do not get to review copy before it’s published. Careful journalists might phone you to run a quote past you for accuracy but some outlets would actually fire the writer for doing so. But if Katie promised that she’d allow you to review your quotes, she was behaving unethically as a journalist.

Second, if your agency isn’t offering you public relations assistance right now, there are quite a few people in the Durham and Raleigh area who might like to help you negotiate these straits. Ask Hanna for the email address associated with this comment. Best wishes to you in pursuit of your degree.

85. j says:

I understand from my own experience that the reason why you wouldnt tell us your real identity is because of what the stigma of being a sex worker carries: that your a whore, that you are dumb, that you are degrading yourself. Im a stripper whos a single mother and my ex boyfriend thought the same thing. He thinks because im a stripper i must be a whore. I must be down to fuck at any given moment, i must be controlled because I obviously must not know what im doing and he is always worried that im cheating on him,and I have one time but not because of the club it was because it was my own personal decision and what degraded me wasnt the club it was him. He made me feel like I wasn’t worthy that he could take my money and treat me like shit so I started confiding in the costumers since I couldnt confide in him. i guess it takes a very secure and understanding person to be with me. I have worked as a stripper for 2 years and yes when I was single I have had sex with 2 men in these 2 years, not because im a whore or because i dont know what im doing because I am a woman with needs and I felt like it at that time. If i feel like I want to have sex and im not in a commited relationship I will. It doesnt make me less of a person, it makes me a human being. I have always been honest with what I do and yes it has backfired on me many times. My ex boyfriends friends immediately thought that I must be sucking every guys dick at the club. They assumed my legs are wide open for everyone. They assumed I must not be a family person. That is completely untrue. I want a family and I can be faithful and true if the guy is the same with me, you know why? because I am still the same girl that I’ve always been and still carry the same values as I always have and no im not on drugs or even drunk when I dance.Most girls have to be high or drunk in order to free themselves and use the excuse of drunkeness to be free. I dont need to, because I think if I cant do something when im not drunk then why drink to make myself feel more secure? obviously I wouldnt do it in the first place.
    Why do I have to a virgin mary and the guy can be a guy and do whatever he wants? Like Lauren says true feminism is no one judging your decision to do what you want as a woman and being free to do what you want without being a virgin or a whore but just being yourself and staying true to yourself. Women judge women which is wrong. Something as simple as liking to watch porn has gotten me in trouble. Now I must like doing gangbangs. Maybe I would try one day but maybe I just like to watch it because it turns me on and Im a woman who is in control of her sexuality and doesnt feel like she needs to hide it in order to go by societies rules. Thank you Lauren for opening up. I just wish you would have the courage to come out and be yourself and be free but I understand if you don’t we are all chained to societies standards whether we like it or not.

86. John Kurc says:

I am sorry that we live in America. If we were in a different country, this would not be a issue. Be well….You have a great life ahead of you.

87. Robert says:

Lauren,

First let me say I applaud you for taking the difficult step of addressing this issue in as public and candid a fashion as you did. Your choices are you own and as the bard says “To thine own self be true.” Do that and continue to follow your dreams wherever they may take you.

Second I would like to drop you some practical non-solicited advice. Like you I got burned by talking to the press when I was in college and on the Board of Directors of a corporation. Now I often consult with others on how to address the media. I would recommend you find an expert in your area who will talk to you in confidence about how to address the media. Insist on a contract with a confidentiality clause when you engage this individual.

You undoubtedly will speak to the media about these issues again in the near future. You cannot put the “Genie back in the bottle” as they like to say. Rules to remember. The press likes to say things are “off the record,” however as you have seen they rarely follow their own journalistic integrity guidelines and just realize that anything you say is likely to appear in print. Reporters almost always spin things or distort facts for maximum effect and impact. Gone are the days of the Edward R. Murrows. This is unfortunate but is a modern day fact.

Outline the topics you would like to touch on and cover in the interview. Though the interviewer controls the questions being asked having talking points can help you shift and pivot to the things you would like to say. It will also help you organize your thoughts.

Reporters will often ask you about unrelated matters to get you to feel more comfortable. These topics are often carefully calculated and calibrated. Take a few seconds to compose yourself before answering any question. Think about why the question is bring asked.

Many reporters will ask to record the interview so that “they quote you correctly.” I am using quotation marks because the journalists/reporters I have encountered all use very similar language when persuading a subject. It is effective and that is why they do it. If you must be recorded tell the reporter that you are fine with that as long as you can record the interview as well. As a general rule I always recommend that my clients record any conversation with a reporter.

As you can see from the posting chain above many people do not believe your version of what you told the reporter. If you had proof from the interview you could debunk that by posting audio if you needed. This is rarely needed but I have found that when you record the interview reporters are less likely to take what you say out of context and rarely fabricate details of a story. When they have and do, I have had clients talk to the editor of the journalist doing the report and in some cases they have been dismissed for lack of journalistic integrity.

Good luck with your schooling and keep doing what you want to do. You are obviously an intelligent and hard working woman. Those traits will talk you far in life.

Sincerely,
    -Robert

• Call me Dave says:

Lots of solid advice, if offered a bit too late, sadly. The damage is done. (Said sincerely by a former journo turned PR pro.)

One more tidbit of advice: Maybe you should barter for a PR flack’s, sorry, PR agent’s, services instead of paying hard-earned cash? I know an experienced PR guy who’s eager to help! (Said tongue firmly in cheek and with a smile. Or is “many a truth said in jest?” lol)

88. JH says:

After reading both articles, I just want to say that you must be one of the bravest people I’ve ever heard of for facing bullying and mistreatment head on. As a high school senior and going to the University of Florida next year, I hope this sort of disrespect of other students doesn’t happen there too. You sound truly remarkable and will forever have my respect.

89. Loved your article (though I understand your distress with being misquoted and wrongly represented, that’s happened to me as well). I just want to say that everything you articulated is exactly what I’ve been saying about the stigma that women face in the sex industry today. I’ve been working (as a female director/photographer) in the industry for over 15 years, I followed in the footsteps of my mother who was one of the first female erotic photographers and directors, so I have always been very supportive of women having a positive and strong voice for the industry. Almost every point you made is one I have argued myself in the past. I always find it curious that people only categorize women in porn as victims and whores, and yet you hardly ever hear a whisper about the male performers in the industry. This is because we constantly stereotype female sex workers as weak, corrupted, desperate, and sick. It’s the patriarchal mentality of automatically assigning women the status of a victim, because so many still see them as the weaker sex. Bravo to you for standing up for yourself and giving a positive voice for the women in our industry. But as you said, not every model has had good experience, but I have watched it improve as more reputable and professional people have begun to invest their careers in porn. There has especially been a big jump in women working behind the scenes in adult. And by the way, I’ve worked with John at Matrix Models since the very beginning of my career, and he’s one of the best. I think you were lucky to start off with a good agent, often that’s the key to having a good experience in the industry. I wish there were more girls like you, and I wish you the best of luck!

90. Tompengo says:

Hi Lauren – you articulated yourself well in yesterday’s article – well done! You raise some great points and I can see you championing change of social norms. I would suggest that “Patriarchy fears female sexuality” may not necessarily be correct – people aren’t always mean or despicable out of fear – often it is just out of ignorance or indifference.

Anyway, best wishes and good luck!

91. […] student newspaper, skewed and manipulated Lauren’s story against her. She put out a response the same day to clarify what The Chronicle article got wrong, but soon after wrote a piece in her […]

92. hmp49 says:

Lauren, your only mistake was going to Duke.

I’ve yet to read anything about Duke that reflects positively on the school. Everything I read seems to be about a bunch of over privileged assholes with an unbearable sense of entitlement and a completely unfounded sense of superiority.

• SSS says:

GREAT COMMENT–I hate Duke too, my father went there, and I always wanted to go there, but they wouldn’t admit me. So forget Duke!!!!

93. Darren Blum says:

Dear Lauren:

I don’t really have an opinion on your situation. Honestly, I think you’re really pretty and your scenes are kinda hot. I hope everything turns out for you the way you want it to.

I was just wondering how you feel your job affects your personal love life. Are your relationships mostly with men in the industry? How do boyfriends deal with your job? Do you think you would still do Male on Female scenes were you in a relationship?

Would love to hear back.

Warmest,

Darren Blum

94. Maria says:

As a young woman that identifies as a feminist I cannot help but feel ashamed for you. Rising to be equal to men has nothing to do with stripping down in front of a camera or jumping around from bed to bed. It is absolutely degrading and you are doing the complete opposite of what you label yourself as. By engaging in porn you are doing nothing more than objectifying your body, the very same thing that feminists are against. You are being seen as nothing more than a body for pleasure with dollar signs attached. Sweetheart, that is the exact opposite of feminism. I hope you reconsider labeling your “job” choice as one because it it is far from being a feminist choice.

95. Sam says:

Wait I’m really confused…. how is getting spit and jizzed on make you feel good about yourself? How is looking like youre getting raped empower you when millions of women get raped everyday? It’s sad and disgusting…

96. Sam says:

“”””Lauren’s parents still do not know of her involvement in the porn industry. During winter break, she told her parents she had an additional final exam at Duke so she could fly to Los Angeles for a week of filming before flying home.”””

Also, why aren’t you telling your parents? If it’s so great and you love it so much….?

97. Tompengo says:

Holly – thank you for your comments and legitimizing some of the supporterting views given your professional familiarity and history.  Maria on the other hand, it’s not the 80′s anymore, even though you might have actually been born after!

Lauren – this unique situation along with the current state of our information age will make it challenging for you to protect your privacy in the short-term, until the “dust settles”.  However, take comfort that what’s out there now humanizes the whole situation and is a great reflection of your character.  Your most recent comments exemplify your determination while your comments from about a year ago demonstrate an appreciation for one of the most simple but powerful aspects of life – happiness.

By now, clearly your family knows and implicit in your latest comments is their acceptance and support.
    Here’s a Canadian song for you and your family – Good Mother (and Father), because I know they must be.  “Feet on ground, heart in hand, facing forward, be yourself.”

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7SOrmtqTVHc&feature=kp

98. Robert S. says:

Lauren,

Best of luck to you.

You don’t have to justify your actions to anyone including why you do it and where the money goes or whether you buy designer handbags. It is your life — and it is yours to do with as you want as long as you treat others with respect. Forget the haters and attempting to justify what you have done and concentrate on your studies– I suspect your women’s studies classes/discussions will get a lot more interesting now with you in them. I’d love to be a fly on the wall……

One of the nice things about college is that it is a time to explore and get to know yourself and what you do and don’t like. Because of your decision to do porn, you have probably closed off many avenues for future employment, but I suspect leaving with a degree from a prestigious place like Duke may mitigate that.

I read your piece in xojane and found it well reasoned and well written. You certainly could be an advocate for fairness to sex workers in the future.

Again, best of luck and don’t back down and don’t try and justify anything you have done — no one should be able to judge you. I suspect by now your loved ones must know — best of luck with that. I’d be cringing too, but sooner or later they will get over it.

Robert

99. Random Internet Dude says:

As a random person who was linked to your article through a friend, I’d just like to say ignore the hate. People hate because they are jealous and insecure. If what you are doing makes YOU happy, and its something YOU can live with, then its all that matters. People love to demonize porn, but its something that the vast majority of the modern world watches when they think no one else is looking, so obviously it has its place… even if they dont want to recognize that.

As a father myself, of course, I’d strongly suggest other routes for my daughter. But if its the route she chooses, I’d still love her the same, as would any good father.

100. James says:

Hey, First I’m just going to say I don’t attend duke, nor do I have any intention of transferring again to get there. The only reason I am posting is because my friend put this link on Facebook. Anyway don’t listen to any of these fucktards. These “feminists” who criticize women for being “porn-stars” are just jealous that they have never and will never be as good looking as them. (I have never seen your work, and I have no intention of looking for it). Any guy who criticizes you is either gay, or just jealous that he can’t be with you (a.k.a. A douchebag). People need to come out from behind mommy’s skirt, remove their hands from covering their eyes and grow the fuck up. There are things that need far more attention than what appears to be a nice girl doing what she loves. Not going to lie, I’m a guy, and if I could make enough money doing something I loved to pay my college bills I’d be there in a heart beat. So Lauren, if that is your real name, keep doing what you want, your going to continue to be criticized by some and praised by others, it’s not going to go away anytime soon. Just have fun doing what you love, and keep on getting that education. Everything will work out in the end whether it’s at duke or not, remember there are plenty of other good schools out there and plenty of people who will love you for who your are. These assholes probably still think it’s the 1950′s or something, the world is changing people. There are shootings what seems like every week now where people are being killed and injured, I think that that is something that deserves to be criticized, not this girl.

I hope everything works out for you Lauren,
    James
    P.S. If you ever want to bounce an idea off of or just talk to some random person, feel free to send me an email.

Good luck

101. Andrew says:

You know what Lauren? I don’t necessarily condone what you do, but who the hell am I to judge? As the father of an 18 year old daughter going to college in the Fall, I know the financial hardships that are out there. I wouldn’t want my daughter to put herself through school using the methods that you’re employing, but I understand that working in the real world and paying your tuition, room and board, student fees, books…… It’s not easy.

You may regret your decision one day. Maybe not. I only hope that when you graduate, you enter the field you have studied, NOT the one that paid for it :-)

Keep your head up and tell the nay sayers to fuck off until they can walk a mile in your shoes….

• Payne says:

Maybe she’ll do both — no better way to change the industry than to work in it. I’m sure there’s money working on the agent/business side and surely there are roles where a law degree is relevant. Or maybe she’ll work for a women’s advocacy organization that does lobbying work and needs people with a legal education. Regardless, if she sticks it out, she has a future. Certainly there are people who will reject her, but it is their loss.

102. zelda pinwheel says:

I have to agree with the poster before me. I don’t have anything against it, but I just haven’t really seen where the sex industry has really gotten women anywhere great in this world. IMHO, strippers, escorts and adult film actresses really just set other women back who as moms, wives, partners, females in corporate america, surgeons, etc. try to live each day with integrity. It creates a rift in feminism, not a representation.

It is most definitely not a step forward toward “Leaning In” and to insinuate that a person is forced to do porn to pay for college insults the tens of thousands of women and children in the world that really are forced to be sex workers to survive. Choosing to do adult film is just that- a choice. I think defending it in anyway as a “step toward feminism” is just a weird and unrealistic way to support that choice.

I would say I have a few years on most of the people posting here and can tell you that in my 40 years, I’ve never heard of sex workers contributing to gender equality and I doubt I ever will.

If Lauren was my daughter I would initially berate myself by wondering what I did wrong in all those years of sacrifice to raise her, then realize it is her choice and as an adult she will do what she intends to to do as a career or job. Then I will request that if she is making a lot of money in adult film that she start an IRA to fund my retirement (to which she will likely say no) and then I will worry about how to explain this entire situation to our friends and family. Then I will spend the rest of my minutes concerned about the drug habit she could be developing to be able to film proficiently. I will also be concerned that this habit may eat into her funds for tuition, not to mention her ability to focus on academics (drugs make concentration difficult).

Just another perspective from a mom. People should leave her alone and let her do what she wants (but that is unrealistic just by the nature of this situation) and Lauren may want to consider getting a good therapist to help her through this. It will make an enormous difference when she reflects back on this in 10-15 years.

• anonymous says:

First, you have identified strippers, escorts, and adult films as women only fields. That is false. Second, part of feminism is claiming ownership over ones own body. While some classic feminists demean porn, others embrace it. Look into sex-positive feminism.

I do agree with your statement that paying for tuition does not equal being forced. Lauren seems to embrace porn and sex as things she enjoys, while others have painted her as the victim of high education prices. Her response here is merely to claim false representation.

You mentioned that claims of being forced due to anything other than actual trafficking are insulting. Your comment about “the drug habit she could be developing to film proficiently” is also insulting to a variety of groups. (Also, drugs can be used as a means of coersion, so that somewhat negates your previous concern for people who are being forced into sex work.)

103. Chola says:

The comments here honestly disgust me. Being a feminist is about making your own choices without the influence of others, just as men have been doing for centuries. Women have options now, and if Lauren wants to be a pornstar and if she loves it then that is what she should do. It is not up to any of you overpriveleged trust fund babies and/or misogynistic frat boys with clear insecurities with a woman making her own choices to condemn her for her choices. If you know her in real life, please treat her as you would treat any other normal person. She deserves it, especially since she has probably been under a lot of emotional stress since this happened. Lauren is clearly an intelligent, courageous and well-spoken individual who is working hard for what you entitled assholes were handed.
    Lauren, i hope you continue to do you and to keep pressing womens rights. You are incredibly strong for facing this situstion with honesty, and i hope that you learn to ignore hate and succeed in school. These people just don’t get you, and i hope you will be able to figure out the difference between the ones that hate and envy and the ones that accept and admire you. Best of luck, and you are my new role model

• Upon what set of publications of facts did you rely upon for your assessment that her critics are “overpriveleged [sic] trust fund babies,” and “entitled assholes.” Please post a link, I’d like to read what you read for myself. Thanks in advance.

104. Josh says:

Any guy talking down to you is a total hypocrite. Almost all men watch or have watched porn at some point in their lives and for that fact alone, they are in no position to judge or belittle you with their comments.

As a senior in college and a member of a fraternity, I know how misogynistic and unfair some guys can be with girls. The truth is, its shocking. These guys harassing you probably watch these videos online, holding the women (you) to a star-like status and when they find out your an ordinary college freshmen, it angers some. No matter what, its not right and your an adult, not a child. You have the right to make your own decisions and honestly, a good education should be anyone’s top priority.

I give you a lot of respect for talking openly about this and on behalf of all guys, I am sorry we can be so brutal. I hope this situation subsides and you can continue your education and life as a normal student.

Best of luck and don’t let anyone bring you down.

Josh

105. Waytogo! says:

Lauren,
    I am also a college student at another university. Its nobody’s business what you do to pay your bills. My husband and I are both putting ourselves through college to do better for ourselves and future family (not in the same manner) so I understand the financial difficulty. I can only say the people who love and support you listen to them, ignore the other people, and as long as you are taking care of yourself in a responsible manner then just keep doing you!

106. My interest is first and foremost to learn something very important from you. I have no comments about your choices — enough have been made already. I was once your age, a long time ago, and I forget how I thought and made decisions back in the ’70′s. I’m quite sure I reason and make decisions differently now than back then.

My questions for understanding are,

1) Did you think through the possible outcomes — including the one occurring at present — before you made your decision to enter the porn industry? Asked another way,

2) Did you think there was a high probability that you could make films viewed by thousands of people, if not millions, and remain anonymous? Why or why not? IF so,

3) How did this thought process work? Knowing as you did that you filmed on the west coast for distribution throughout the nation if not worldwide, how did your mind engage in self-talk to assure yourself there was no or a very, very low probability that you’d be recognized and conversed about on campus and elsewhere? Did you have this self-talk chat session?

Thank you in advance. I’m eager to learn from you whether you, as an obviously intelligent and cognitively advanced young woman, engaged in a thorough pre-decision cost/benefit analysis and if so, how it proceeded within your mind.

Much obliged.

W J Green

107. Ex pornstar says:

Hi Lauren,

I used to be in porn. I got in when I was very young and at that time I thought it was the greatest decision ever. When I read your words I can see my younger self. Over time the industry took a toll on me and I realized that I was being used. Working as a porn star is not a good choice exactly because of what you are going through now. The constant judgement, bullying and mean comments made me depressed until I decided to quit.
    I started attending college to get out of porn and to get a better life. I went to community college and then transferred to a local state university. I didn’t want to ruin myself financially and I didn’t want to have to stay in porn any longer.
    I can relate to what you are going through. There are stories about me on college Internet forums but it’s a state school so the whole scandal is probably minor compared to yours. I also study with people who work 3 jobs just to get an education, my campus is very diverse and I am glad about that.
    I’m graduation this spring and if I had one piece of advice for you it would be to transfer to a more affordable school and get your degree no matter what. If I had something else to say I would tell you to get out of porn as soon as possible. You probably won’t because I never listened to anyone either. It’s a big mistake and it would be better to call it quits now before you get more sucked into this.

108. As a fellow underdog who’s frequently bullied and disrespected, I’m rooting for you. Stay strong. :)

109. Leigh says:

I respect this so much…. I paid my 40,000 a year tuition at a prestigious Cleveland art school doing sex work that I’ve NEVER been ashamed of. I wish you the best. Keep your head up!! I wish we could be friends! You are clearly intelligent, articulate and strong. It WILL get better. I don’t know you, but I love you. Best of luck…

110. Lola says:

If Lauren was a male student doing porn to pay tuition, would it get any attention at all?

111. Nicole says:

If I may, newspapers never show articles or reveal quotes to their sources. In journalism, it is unprofessional. If she wrote about you in a certain way, it’s not to mean she lied. You willingly gave her information. And when you give a reporter info, they will use it any way they want. Good or bad. That being said, I do not think she defamed you in any way. The article did not portray you in a bad light.

• Call me Dave says:

Never? Sorry, but never say “never.” I’m a recovering former journalist, most recently with the NYTimes, and interview subjects sometimes are allowed to review their quotes. This usually is done only for accuracy and fact-checking. Admittedly, that’s rare, so your general point is accurate. And if quotes are reviewed, the subject should not change the tone or “thrust” of a story. Changes only should ensure accuracy and fairness.

In any case, if a reporter says they will let someone review their quotes, they should do so — one should live up to their word. Even journalists. Which is why they should endeavor to avoid promising anonymity and/or letting sources review quotes or copy.

112. Kristy says:

My heart goes out to you for all that you’ve been through so far. I can’t imagine how it must’ve been for you and what it must’ve felt like having to deal with this commotion all by yourself. There will Always be people out there that will condemn you for what you do. Please, please don’t let ANYONE tell you otherwise. I honestly admire you because for one, you’ve come out so strong at the end of it all and came out on your own to voice your own POV against things that people say that are so seemingly usual (against sex workers, anyway). For two, the fact that you are able to enjoy what you do as an occupation while perusing your dream at Duke university, which is a very prestigious place to earn an education at. There were so many times when I considered in becoming a dancer in order to support myself through college, but I never had the courage to. And for that, I truly admire you for enjoying what you do and be able to put yourself through college.

In the end of it all, it doesn’t matter what you do. You can buy expensive bags and nice clothes for all anyone should care! It’s YOUR money and you can do whatever you want as long as you please. And you are absolutely right, why can’t women be in touch with their sexual desires as they please? Like I said, please don’t let anyone tell you otherwise there are always trolls out there. Despite what many people will say I hope you understand that there are many people out there like me who support and admire you for doing what you do. I believe that at the end of it all, you’ve learned much from this experience and have become a much stronger person than you were before. Don’t let anyone stop you! My heart goes out to you and I wish you the very best.

Ps. Usually I wouldn’t comment on things like this but I feel too strongly about it and just wanted to let you know :) <3

XOXO

113. trustme says:

If you’re going to do porn do it at a website you run yourself. Don’t just make some video that someone else can do whatever they want with. And the fetish market is much safer than you’d think if you do it that way. There are even some women making money at it without having to take off their clothes, believe it or not. There are guys out there for every fetish that exists and you’d be amazed at how many fetishes there are. There is even one that involves watching women smoke or wear glasses. I hope you don’t get hurt by the scumbags at your school.

114. Alex says:

If you feel that doing porn of “fulfills” you and “empowers” you, then you wouldn’t feel the need to hide your fugly face and your real name. Obviously you must feel shame to try so hard to cover up your identity and fear exposing the truth to professors, prospective employers, and most of all to your parents and relatives. Not only will they not be proud of you, but they will be deeply disappointed that you didn’t choose something more respectable to pay your tuition. You likey have STDs and by you continue to put yourself at risk for a long list of diseases and parasites, many of which have no cure and treatment is lifelong. They are literally thousands of different ways such as Academic scholarship (for good grades), entering into one of the million scholarship contests out there, working on campus, or paying off when working after graduation. There are so many people with financial burden who work hard to pay their debts without sacrificing their image, dignity, and reputation. By doing porn, people will view you as disgusting and morally incompetent. As a result you will face many difficulties finding someone willing to hire you as their lawyer. There are way too many lawyers out there way better than you, people can be choosy and discriminate against “sex workers.” There is too much competition out there for all the good jobs in law industry. So you being filmed butt naked and having dirty sex for all the world to see, is what going to give you an automatic rejection every time. If you really want your “privacy” respected you wouldn’t have such nasty naked acts broadcast so public ally. I guess you were so willing to do anything to pay all your tuition except doing anything that requires hard work, that you essentially agreed to sell your soul to the devil. You will forever be branded a whore, slut, and a plethora of dishonorable names. Your actions have real consequences; people are free to ridicule you and humiliate don’t be surprised that people, including your professors, have no respect for you. Normal rational students rather graduate the loans and pay them off when working, than lose their honor, integrety, and good name just for the sake of paying them before graduation with minimal effort. The stupid choice you’ve made will haunt you for the rest of your life. Shame on you. You will continue to pay the price for your tuition. As you become an old, wrinkly, and white-haired hag suffering from sexually transmitted diseases, not even porn fil makers will want to hire you.
    No one’s going to try to stop you because you’re digging you’re own grave.

• Tompengo says:

Alex, to tell you the truth, I respect Lauren’s determination,passion, optimism and writing skills than your negative, close-minded and poorly written diatribe.

• Alex says:

Tompengo, you’re an idiot. You “admire” her “determination, passion, optimism, and writing skills?” Funny! You must be one of her biggest porn fans. Porn-addicts like you love sitting on their butts all day glued to the computer watching Nasty, STD-ridden trash like “Lauren.” Why don’t you get out of your granny’s basement for once fatty, get some exercise, and get a taste of the real world, then maybe you’ll learn a little bit of the point and wisdom of my first comment (though I realize that even a monkey is more capable than you of doing that than you).
        As far as writing skills go, “Lauren” obviously spent many hours on her piece in order to come up with a way to draw sympathy from everyone. It failed to do that with the exception of a small minority mainly consisting of over-weight porn-a-holics (yourself included) and men-hating feminists/ lesbians. Unsurprisingly, the vast majority of people have no respect for any one who has no sense of modesty and dignity to film herself butt naked exhibiting dirty sexual acts for all to see when googling her name (including mom, dad, relatives, and professors).
        BTW: I write my comments fast on mobile so I don’t care if mistyped something here or there, just get the point of the message.

115. JDB says:

This is hysterical hype.I think you have all been punked. How can a girl get outed as a Pornstar if nobody really knows her name or even her stage name.In todays split second wielding of the internet blade this would have been all over the place if “it really happened” this was a huge publicity stunt either for the Duke paper or the other media source that started it.How can a fake name tied to a fake stagename be outed in the first place

116. Call me Dave says:

Maybe you should transfer to Washington & Lee, a great school rivaling Duke where you’d regain your anonymity. and be the big fish in a small pond, and not lost among the thousands. W&L has better financial aid, so you might not have to “work” in LA any more. Dubyuhnell also was where the Dukes first offered their money (wasn’t enough to change the name)before going to Trinity College ;) W&L was the Duke’s first choice, make it yours! LOL

117. […] that the frat brother told the paper he now regrets). From that point, the student actress wrote in a Develle Dish blog, “I learned that I would likely be exposed soon on a frat […]

118. Smax says:

Damn kids at Duke suck. Worry about your own lily white, privileged lives.

119. […] Lauren went on a media offensive. She granted a pseudonymous tell-all to the campus newspaper, responded to the article on a campus blog, and wrote a women’s-studies-inflected essay about the experience for xoJane. So confident is […]

120. SSS says:

interesting comments

121. […] that the frat brother told the paper he now regrets). From that point, the student actress wrote in a Develle Dish blog, “I learned that I would likely be exposed soon on a frat […]

122. Brent says:

It’s funny reading all these people advising her to transfer to your schools. Haha. Duke is a perfectly suitable school for her.(like we don’t know you hope you have some dream you’ll get some ass) Every school has opinionated people who pass judgement on a young person for finding a way to be debt free from hefty tuition fees. What’s the big damn deal? She likes sex….she makes money on her breaks and can focus on her work during her semesters. People need to relax…the real villain is the guy who decided to run his mouth and try to expose her. Seriously…get a life and stop trying to make this into a deep complex conspiracy. We all have sex and most of you have resorted to porn at one point in time. Think in a more simplistic manner and stop over complicating all this. I personally don’t give two shits what a stranger does in their free time and most of you should try doing the same thing.

123. Joe B says:

I don’t really care that this woman is a prostitute, which she obviously is. What irks me is that she takes delusional rationalization to a whole new level. It’s almost a satire of feminism: she sells her body to men for money, then claims that she’s “empowered.”

It’s like a black man in the antebellum South volunteering to be a slave, then claiming to be free. It would be hilarious if it weren’t so sad — and if she didn’t have so many delusional supporters. When she grows up, hopefully she’ll realize what a clueless tool she was.

124. […] that the frat brother told the paper he now regrets). From that point, the student actress wrote in a Develle Dish blog, “I learned that I would likely be exposed soon on a frat […]

125. keith says:

Guys who make porn are so cool and girls that make them are so terrible. when is this world going to wake up and stop the double standard? A woman in control of her sexuality is awesome. I feel sorry for kids on campus
    (I didnt say guys or men) who degrade you, they are just jealous and immature. I’m sure they wish they could be strong enough to put it out there and have the courage to do what you do. So a girl having sex is bad? Please kids get a hobby and try to get a girlfriend. you know every time you kids turn on a porn movie, you wish that was you!
    So rock it Lauren! Studying and work must be quite a challenge. Good luck and much success at Duke!

126. Mark says:

I am sorry that you were exposed. You are only doing what you have to to survive and you are doing it the legal way. I only hope you can live your life in peace and still complete your education.

And the haters can all go to hell as far as I am concerned. You did nothing wrong as long as you are comfortable with your decision and can live with the consequences.

127. Helen says:

I am saddened to hear how much you have suffered for revealing your job in the sex industry. I imagine the vast majority of the people insulting you were quick to go online and see if they could find a video of you somewhere (the hypocrites). I wish you all the best for the future and fully endorse your drive to attain better environments for women working in the industry.

128. Kalin says:

Wow … and to think that I actually had some respect for Ivy League universities.

The level of shallowness, judgement and hate speech I’ve read regarding the Lauren case is just obnoxious and frankly disgusting.

How many of the trash talkers here jack-off to porn? Spare me the statistics. These double standards are just pathetic.

Lauren, Aurora – as long as you like doing what you do and it serves a purpose, don’t let anyone look down on you or condemn you for what you do. Sex is so stigmatized and over-dramatized nowadays one cannot help but question our “civil society” or “culture”.

More than half of these phonies would totally do kinky stuff in secret, but are so quick to condemn when someone is brave enough to accept and embrace their sexuality instead of hiding it in the closet.

Bottom line – heads up, embrace what you are and what you do and weather the storm.

A piece of advice though, with the shitstorm being formed, it might be wise to tell your close circle and family before they get a nasty surprise from a “well-wisher” or a “concerned family friend” or whatever judgmental gossiping double-standard hypocrite decides to tell on you for “your own good”.

129. sam says:

Lauren,

I think all the bad vibes is basic jealousy. The situation as it appears, makes you look like every man’s dream girl which is a bright intellectual woman who is uninhibited when in the sheets. Every man on the planet wants this. The guys who are calling you names know they can never have you, yet you are exactly what they want. Because of this, they degrade you in a childish attempt to make themselves feel better. Of course, at the same time using escorts, strippers, and porn however they see fit.

Also, I want to mention that I had the exact same problem with financial aid as you. On paper, my parents made too much money. The reality, however, is that they in no way could afford to pay what the financial aid people wanted them to. I think I got a whopping $700/yr from financial aid for tuition. The rest was loans. For a while, I was working 2 jobs because there was no room and board money which then led me to get crappy grades. In terms of finance, I understand exactly what you are going through. People who are in different circumstances don’t understand how this happens.

Anyway, hopefully you are doing OK.

130. Teddy says:

Feminism is all about self determination and autonomy. Rape culture is all about attempting to shame you from using them. So, in short. You rock, and fuck those guys.

131. No One Cares says:

You’re all under the impression that you actually matter…99% of you will never be remembered or make an impact in society. In 10 years, your lax sticks/greek lives will be gone and replaced with excel sheets, children, and half of you will end up being divorced. Fact. The only happy people I know are those who follow their own paths and don’t look back, so Lauren I hope you’re smart enough to make the most of this time and build a foundation for the future, something you can call your own and that makes you happy. If you can do that then you’ll be miles ahead of the majority of people on this chain, the sheep. I’m neither a supporter or a protester, I’m a fucking rock and I’m on my own path…miles ahead.

132. Sex Work is actual and legitimate “Work” but definitely not “easy” work nor is it work that anyone could or should undertake without a healthy sense of reality and perhaps an understanding of the impact on one’s pysche from the judgments that will inevitably flow in a hypocritical society – one rooted deeply in double standards for women and men.

Sex work is no walk in the park. It is a hard choice for one to have to make but it is an acceptable choice given the crazy world and times that we live in. This woman should by no means by subjected to any kind of Slut Shaming. Fact is that she embraced the economic reality of the cost of pursuit of her dreams head on. Every credit hour that Lauren, AKA “Aurora’ pays for with her body is one that I suspect she will have a greater appreciation for than the typical Duke student.

Though I have no first hand experience working in the Porn industry, I have had an opportunity to witness the making of a film or two and to interact with sex workers pre and post production. If nothing else, I have a better, but not necessarily full, appreciation for the issues that come into play for an actor’s choosing this kind of work to generate revenue to sustain their existence and/or pursue their dreams.

We live in an era where our youngest citizens, armed with dreams of advancing themselves in our society, have to consider the possibility of becoming life long debt servants for the sake of obtaining an education and getting their ticket stamped; the stamping of which is definitely no longer any guarantee of future financial success and economic security. But likewise there is no guarantee that loans rendering them indentured debt servants will even be available should they decide to go that route instead.

It is no secret that the cost of higher education is prohibitively high, if not even more obscene than any sex act. This is even more true, if one has to finance it themselves without the benefit of a trust fund or wealthy parents. Some who have this advantage may take for granted that $50-75,000 per year for education is not a drop in the bucket for someone from a middle class or lower middle class background. In fact having attended an Ivy League Law School and an expensive private university for college in New England, I know too well that many of my friends never had to worry about the costs associated with education while I took on work study jobs and any full time summer work that was available; and I still graduated with significant debt.

The current generation faces unique challenges, challenges that do not need to be made even heavier with the burden of double standards, slut shaming and otherwise subjecting to ridicule a young woman who is paying for her education through her own labor, labor of her choice. This is true even if that labor is of the type which may result in the creation of adult fantasy and entertaiment material for other citizens to consume. It is undeniably nevertheless work.

Those that choose to judge Lauren, AKA “Aurora” are merely illustrating their own ignorance, close mindedness and lack of meaningful introspection about the truly prohibitive cost of higher education in America today and the choices that some of our citizens may have to make to get it.

Furthermore, it is interesting to note that here in 2014, it is apparently still threatening for a woman to choose to have sex on her own terms, even if it is paid work rather than getting drunk and possibly risking being raped on a college campus, without compensation. It is insane. More power to Lauren, AKA “Aurora” for her rabid pursuit of the American Dream, and paying for it the hardest way possible. Before we shame her, we ought to hold a mirror up to our own society and ask, are we proud that someone bright enough to get into an institution like Duke University has to make these kinds of choices? If anyone should be ashamed it is we the people, not someone who is paying her own way every day because her thirst for knowledge and commitment to pursuit of her dreams is even more intense than the hypocrisy of the unevolved who would slut shame her after masturbating to her body of work/ work of her body.

133. NU Law Alum says:

Don’t let the haters keep you down. Most of them are either a) terrified of the idea of a woman that controls her sexuality instead of being shamed into subjugating it to a man’s control or b) or bitter with the knowledge that even a woman that gets paid to have sex on camera would never touch their disgusting selves.

I went to a top flight private law school and wound up $120k in the hole (some of my classmates left a quarter million in debt). When the market crashed I became unemployed and now underemployed. The debt I took on for the degree has ruined my life. I will never be able to repay these loans, afford a wedding, have children, or support a family as a result of student debt. So tell me which of us is the stupid one? The guy with a worthless law degree he’ll never pay off, or the girl getting a great education that will be entirely paid for the moment you graduate?

Those who would say you’re better off paying for school with loans are the naive ones. Chin up, and the hell with them!

134. The Rebel says:

Dear Lauren,

I write to you as a student who once aspired to attend Duke and despite having gotten admission was unable to afford the massive international student tuition fee that came along with the prestige of having attended this school so I empathize with your determination to have done what you could to be self-sufficient. But I think that’s as far as I would go with my approval of this situation. Not being able to get an ivy league education due to constraints is something I can live with but having to sell something that NO ONE can ever have a right to buy in order for it to act as a means to an end is something not only I would have to live with but in reality my existing family as well as a family I might choose to have some time down the road would have to contend with as well and that’s a stigma most cannot bear.
    As it remains, what you have done sounds brave enough and it most definitely does seem like you’re quite the liberated individual but if I wasn’t reading too deeply into this situation, I get the feeling you’re saying most of the things you’re saying in order to convince yourself first and foremost before trying to convince the world around you. Now let me clarify a few things before going forward…
    I myself have been an individual who would have been considered to be quite “liberated” in modern terms. But this liberation almost led me to lose my mind for I came to a point where I realized that if our existence is as fragile and pointless as it is then maybe sex, drugs and rock n roll is the way to go. And where I came back from, not a lot of people do. However, to cut the long story short, I have been there and done that short of making porn but not due to lack of opportunity if I may add. Call me old-fashioned but love for me was always personal, despite how skewed my own thinking had become due to the ready availability of porn to the general public. In any case, I am who I am now and if you’d like we could talk about it more but that doesn’t matter for what I want to say to you now. What matters is that I’m a young individual who realized (through trial and error of course) that there are certain moral boundaries that human beings inherently have and when we rebel against those we tend to lose ourselves in the process and for someone so vehemently defending their actions they don’t even realize how badly they’re lost.
    Anyway, to cut out the generics what I’m trying to say is that I don’t watch porn and I have had no interest in watching what you have done for that matter but what I am interested in is this slope you’re on and as a human being who inherently sympathizes with the universal condition of all human beings who realize the fragility of our existence I am writing to you because I care and for no other reason at all.
    A student loan is better than having sold yourself for which there is proof maybe for your entire lifetime and the lifetime of your children and their children and so on, till you know what comes after. And here’s the thing, that’s precisely what you have done; sold yourself.
    The fact of the matter is, these people that have attacked you so viciously are the ones who get a kick out of watching you having sold yourself and you’ve played right into their hands. I’m not going to talk about male dominance or female suppression or yata yata ya. All these things are there but what you have done, is acknowledge that these things are there and instead of being a woman who stands for the liberation of women so they do not have to resort to selling their bodies to gain an education (but in most cases it is simply to survive) you have chosen the easy way out and want to justify it by claiming how it makes you liberated and comfortable with your sexuality.
    Okay, fine, maybe pornstars are quite sexual but that doesn’t change the fact that when you become a sex worker accessible to the world you have to be aware of the fact that your family (parents, siblings, future husband and children, cousins, relatives etc) are all aware of what you have done and in a world full of social stigmas, despite the conditions that give rise to them, is a world that is unforgiving.
    So coming to the end of what I am trying to say is this… If you wanted to attend Duke to get that college education and do what you always dreamed of doing then by analysis of what you have done already and how supportive you seem to be of it, one is forced to think that maybe that dream was an illusion and what you’re doing now is what you really wanted to do? I’m not implying that’s actually the case but all I’m saying is that from what I gather this is what it seems like. Besides, if you really had a dream your focus would be so thoroughly on it that you wouldn’t have time to invest in side ventures no matter how well-paying they might be because then you’d be assured that once you’ve attained that dream education you’d be able to pay off any loans you had accumulated and there won’t be any stigmas attached to that either.
    In conclusion, porn is an industry that is literally breaking down the fabric of modern society piece by piece and there is enough valid literature out there to prove my point. The fact that you have decided to be a part of it does not make you liberated. It does not even prove your sexuality. What it does however, is show to the world that you did what you thought you should in order to be as successful in this rat-race we are all a part of as you possibly could be and made your decision accordingly. That by no means meant that it had to be the right decision.

Yours truly,
    A friend

P.S If during the course of my elaborate rant I have said something to offend anyone I do sincerely apologize. My purpose was to speak my mind and that’s that.

135. Lane says:

Lauren,
    I’m a father of two college students, neither of which would have been accepted by DUKE for entrance, and I don’t think I could have afforded DUKE regardless. Both my children had roommate issues and found new roommates during their respective freshman years. One child had issues with their coach and has since transferred to another universities’ team. Those are normal college experiences that stressed both my children as students and their extended family in their support system roles. Clearly what you’re going through at DUKE is not a normal college experience. However DUKE is an amazing university and an amazing opportunity for you. I hope this nonsense (people’s reactions to how you pay your tuition) is not such a large distraction that it interferes with your studies or your grades. On the surface it already looks quite time consuming for you. I hope you have a support system, friends, family or both that keeps you sane and positive through this garbage. I’m hoping to read in three and a half years that you’ve graduated DUKE and are off to Stanford to work on your graduate degree. Stay the course both as a student and professionally if that is your choice.

136. Marion Wilson says:

Oh, and one more thing: Who really gives a fuck if she buys an ipad or a designer handbag? She tells us the reporter lied about the designer handbag, but so what if she wants to treat herself every now and then. These days, a large majority of universities require you to either have your own laptop or ipad for class work. Again, stop judging her based on what she spends her money on.

137. Charlie says:

Lauren,

As the father of two adult daughters I applaud you in doing what you had to do and getting it done.

I admire you for your independence. To be able to graduate debt free is a feat approaching miraculous, a blessing, especially in these tough economic times.

Life is fragile, every moment is a treasure so don’t let anybody get in your way and stop you from achieving your goals.

Be true to yourself and don’t let anyone else steer you away from your path.

You don’t need to be all things to all people or please everyone.

Discover and embrace your talents and gifts that you were born with.

Remind yourself that you deserve to be treated well and don’t take crap from anybody!

My best wish for you is that you continue to have a life warmed by the love of friends and family.

I am so proud of you!

Charlie
    Cary, NC

138. jk says:

The irony for me is that my girlfriend calls the hand around the throat rape type of porn, Frat porn. And wouldn’t ya know small penis frat boy Thomas Bagley was jerking off to it. And subsequently, frat boy Bagley and his brothers treated the woman like dirt just like the perpetrator in the video. Perhaps even worse since the porn is merely a fabrication, not an actual real life public flogging. Nice.

As Lauren knows, porn is about money. A lot of money. It’s an act. The rape videos are heavy mascara, gag reflex so there are tears leading runny mascara drama. But it leaves no marks, so the actors can do other shoots. We know why Lauren is involved. But the real question here is what is Bagley getting from this? Is this what he really needs to get off? Do Frat boys need to treat women like this?

Another point; being a duke student was a factor to Lauren’s zero to sixty porn start rise. You can bet that corporate porn America planned to capitalize on the sensationalism of a Duke porn star. Porn used to be easy to get into with early participants becoming well off. Now it’s much harder and not so profitable with many young women looking for an entry point. Lauren was chosen out of a pool of women for a reason and that is simply profiteering over her Duke university status.

139. Mike says:

Dear Lauren,

I love you.

My heart sunk when I saw your cut marks. I wish I could give you a big hug and make all your troubles go away.

140. Thomas says:

You should really think about getting a lawyer and suing the paper if you have not already. They have no right to make up facts about you.

141. California Kid says:

Hey Lauren,

Read your story and I wanted to say sorry for the abuse you’ve suffered. Duke frat boys have the worst reputation in the country with sexual violence and abuse so I’m not surprised this got out because of one of them. Even all the way here in California we know the kind of trust fund baby spoiled scumbags they are. Keep your head up, get your degree, and be successful.

142. MindofAi says:

A response I did in response to your response! haha

Take a look, tell me what you think. All comments and critiques are welcomed:

http://mindofai.wordpress.com/2014/02/26/porn-for-tuition-a-deeper-look-into-dukes-porn-star/

143. BlackDavid says:

Dear Lauren, Aurora, or any damn name you could have I really don’t care.

I’m glad to see that somewhere(in a “famous” University)there still are Idiots to think they can scrutinize life’s choice you made.
    Rather than being pawed by people while you serve coffee, you choose to be paid for it.
    I’m not from USA, but my reaction would probably be : <>
    And that’s ALL.

Thank you for fulling our Internet with your body, Thank them for watching it ($_$)

Good luck for your graduation and your Life.

144. TF says:

Hello,

I don’t really care what you do in your spare time as long as you aren’t hurting people.

That said, I doubt few if any people on any of these message boards (having to do with this story) have watched Lauren’s videos.

I’ll save you the time and suggest that you look at the “Missy Facial Abuse” video (Its Lauren).

Now I know what you’re thinking. “WTF?” or “EWWWW” or “I’d rather not” or “”, but I’m not talking about the pornographic scenes. The first 10 minutes of the video is a strange interview. Its definitely NSFW. It’s eery because she uses the word “empower” and she references her tuition payments as a reason for being in porn. But the interviewer gets meaner and meaner (its a pretend degrade porn?). Then all of a sudden the camera focuses in on her thigh and you can clearly see cut marks. The interviewer starts making fun of her about the cut marks etc. It gets awkward and then it becomes some pretty rough porn that turned my stomach.

Again, do I care that she’s a porn star? No. But I think there’s more to what she’s saying than “empowerment”. Were I betting man, I’d say she was abused, possibly sexually.

145. David R says:

I’m a Duke graduate who’s basically the same age as “Lauren’s” father. I’m disgusted by this entire story. I have 3 daughters of my own, two of which have graduated from university. The third wants, no correction, wanted to go to Duke. I’m as ashamed of Duke right now as I was when the liberal faculty lynch mob railroaded the Duke Lacrosse team.

This is no way to put yourself through school. I hope your parents know exactly what you’re doing and I hope they intervene. I’m astonished that you haven’t been expelled.

146. Zach says:

You are not liberated at all. It’s sad to see someone under such bondage, yet wholly ignorant of it. You are a whore. You get paid for sex. Call yourself a “sex worker” if that lets you sleep better at night. It’s disgusting and sexually immoral.

147. […] not a new story — but their role in the Duke porn scandal has generally been played down. Lauren has said she only chose to go to the media with her story after being “cyberbullied” on the forums; the […]

148. Evan says:

Lauren,

I think you were stupid to go into porn. The money that you earn in the short-term will pale in comparison to the money that you could have earned had you graduated from Duke, porn-free.

I realize that people shouldn’t bully, that society shouldn’t judge and that corporations shouldn’t discriminate, but unfortunately, they do, it does and they do. Unless you can assume a new identity, you have severely limited your employment options post college.

On top of that, you’ve indirectly affected the lives of your family as they may have to deal with the extra scrutiny that comes with being the family member of a porn star. Also, should you decide to have kids, you may have indirectly made their lives a lot more difficult.

You should have just studied your ass off in order to line up lucrative employment opportunities post college. Statistically speaking, I’m sure the Duke degree (without the porn background) is worth a HELLUVA lot more than the degree + 200k + the porn background.

And if your cause is helping sex workers, you could have just done everything I said, made a ton of money and then started a foundation to benefit those ideals that you hold dear. Otherwise, if your goal was to be a Social Worker for Sex Workers you could have just gone to community college and invested the porn money. Regardless, your economic argument for being a porn star makes zero sense to me.

• funk says:

I completely agree with this comment . Most people are just saying you made a bad decision,not shaming you for being a whore, even though you are one, its a proper word, it’s in the dictionary, it has a definition and you fit the definition.It is just that your decision was a stupid, naive one. I almost guarantee you will regret it your whole life. It makes no sense financialy, unless you just want to continue to do porn, but for your degree, its almost useless because of your choice.

149. […] While the article may have attempted to tell Lauren’s side of the story, it also described her as “distressingly naïve” and “the type of girl who cannot help but flicker a smile when she hears scandalous news—especially if it involves her.”  Since the article’s publication, “Lauren” has accused the Chronicle of misquoting her and portraying her as an “attention seeking little girl.” […]

150. Mk says:

Well I know one thing and that is whether or not you agree with her, the harassment has got to stop. What is going on within various online media is vile.

151. Devin says:

I commend your courage to set the record straight. As a former managing editor for a college newspaper, I know first hand how news and feature stories are ideally designed– good writers often walk into the interview with a certain angle in mind. Obviously, Katie was no different. While I can’t fault her for essentially doing her job, every journalist (even the second-rate ones like her)use their own judgement on what is appropriate and ethical to publish and what is not. I am very sorry that a campus media outlet, which you chose to share your very personal story with, was so insensitive. Obviously there are issues at Duke that are fundamental and systemic to the institution. Please remember that in 3 years you will have graduated and will have a first-rate education to use toward any professional field that you would like.

Best of luck.

152. Old Duke grad says:

Lauren: I’m sorry that you have had to put up with so much BS. You made a choice which works well for you and hurts no one. In all the negative comments above, I saw none which suggested that porn videos should be illegal and banned from campus; the double-standard is alive and well at Duke.

For those who have condemned your choice, I offer Jesus’ advice: “Let the one who is without sin cast the first stone.” For those who have supported you, thank you for your honest encouragement of an enterprising young woman who takes stock of her situation, her talents, and her interests and acts accordingly.

Lauren: just keep being yourself. You will do well, both now and in the future, if you do that.

153. jack says:

Why is the university not going after the real ULGY perp here? Thomas Bagley violated the DUKE ethics protocol…

154. Ray says:

Hi Lauren, Have any Duke professors responded to you – I know they might hesitate. I have no idea how to find the way in these waters. But I have someone very close to me who has experienced something similar. The way is not always obvious. Hope you find it. Ray

155. th4rgef says:

You’re 18. You are naive. And the guy in your “massage” porn video is a rapist trash criminal. No, he might not have raped anybody, yet, because he gets his fix by paying girls to have sex with him (aka prostitution), tapes it, calls it porn, then sells it to ugly men who can’t get laid. All because he’s a worthless sociopath nobody.

When the guy doesn’t show his face in the video (isn’t porn for girls and guys? I’m sure the girls would appreciate seeing the guy’s face) it’s because he wants to reap all the benefit (having sex, getting paid) while suffering none of the drawbacks (people knowing his identity).

If I get bored, I’ll find out who he is, and kill him. You hear me, scumbag? I wonder which Vegas pool party he hangs out at. Worthless fuck.

156. kamicasse says:

I am not a college student, but my only opinion is that while you pay the tuition, and pass with good grades, there is nothing to be talked about.

Is most probable that all those who bully you wont graduated. I don’t know why you don’t go full public, but perhaps i am not seeing the whole picture of you future.

Best regards,

157. Skynet says:

Dear Ms. A,

Lot of haters on the internet. Disregard them. You’re doing just fine.

Best wishes,
    S

158. Don PI TX says:

Dear Lauran,

Since you have chosen to put yourself in the public persona by doing porn. I think many of your peers and others are trying to understand how a articulate young woman could risk her mental, physical and social well being by indulging in an high risk industry such as porn.

YOU have implied that the money is great for sex workers in porn! Is it really? Lets take a real look at the numbers. California state sales tax 30%,app federal tax 25%, talent agent 20% that leaves the porn workers take at only 25% and that doesn’t include any expenses. It seems unless the porn worker evades taxes they are not going to actually net much money!

You have also said that you are proud of your porn work,but you seem to have been hiding your work from your family and peers. You stated that you where “shaken” when you realized that Thomas Bagley had revealed you as a porn worker. It seems to many that you are really ashamed of your porn work. Your initial reaction doesn’t seem that you are very empowered by it.

It is common knowledge that you practiced self mutilation (cutting) in your past and many wonder is your indulgence in porn simply a continued form of self degradation and abuse! Also you don’t seem to care that sex workers are at a very high risk for stds since you have unprotected sex with these individuals in the porn industry, thus exposing yourself to serious life altering stds.

You have claimed to be empowering woman by your porn work ,but staring in Jimmy Hooligans facial abuse clip dosen’t seem very empowering to women. It rather portrays that hedonistic degrading(slapping, spitting, raping) sexual abuse of women is ok.

I think you are a very impressive young articulate young lady and only hope the best for you. I only wrote this little response regarding your situation, so you might understand how people are perceiving your situation and response to it. Hopefully! You will stop and take a deep breath and think! Who am I, and is being in porn or Duke University really worth risking my mental, physical, and spiritual well being.

Sincerely,

Don

159. outsider says:

Wishing you the very best. I hope you make it.

regards,

160. Indigo says:

Isn’t it amazing how many people feel someone else’s sex life is their business?
    Voyouristically reading everything they can about it, all the while judging and condemning.

Whats wrong with the sex business?

I was in it for a year when I was broke (many years ago). I wonder if all the people who would condemn me for that would prefer I had gone on welfare and food stamps?
    Which is one reason why America is so hopelessly messed up. Puritanical, condemning, secretly lusting after what they condemn. Total hypocrites.
    As a woman, you just can’t win in this society.

• bob says:

If you do porn, it is everyones buisness, and im sure many people would prefer you went on wellfare, certainly your parents and anybody you will date. If you went on welfare they would have felt sorry for you, if you do porn that sympathy will go away and you are seen as a whore. Yes its hypocritical, I watch porn, but doing porn is a mistake, a mistake im glad many girls make.

161. Craig says:

“On the day I met Katie, I did not flaunt my designer handbags and show off my new Ipad.”

Nor did she say you did, on the day you two met.

“To clarify, every penny that I make from porn goes to paying my tuition.”

And the money you get from your parents goes where? How long do you think that will continue once they find out how you “really” pay for your tuition?

“that I am “distressingly naïve.””

That you are. You are considering a future in the law field? Good luck with that!

Beyond that, you have been reported as saying that doing porn is somehow expressing your sexuality when in actual fact, both men and women do “gay” and or “straight” porn who are actually “straight” or “gay”, respectively.

Why try to bring “sexuality” into a discussion of a topic on which one’s sexuality can be just as much a part of the act as anything else?

162. […] forum she also accused them of skewing her words and betraying her trust in a response on the blog Develle Dish, adding that they had ‘portrayed me as a naïve, attention seeking little girl who flaunts […]

163. […] forum she also accused them of skewing her words and betraying her trust in a response on the blog Develle Dish, adding that they had ‘portrayed me as a naïve, attention seeking little girl who flaunts […]

164. […] forum she also accused them of skewing her words and betraying her trust in a response on the blog Develle Dish, adding that they had ‘portrayed me as a naïve, attention seeking little girl who flaunts […]

165. […] forum she also accused them of skewing her words and betraying her trust in a response on the blog Develle Dish, adding that they had ‘portrayed me as a naïve, attention seeking little girl who flaunts […]

166. PI TX says:

Its apparent that many blogging there support for this young teenager continuing in a industry that will ultimately “ruin or end her life”; care very little about her. She has already been abused and doesn’t seem to realize it.

I would suggest that you watch the 2001 documentary “Hardcore” by Stephen Walker and you will understand!It is on You tube.

167. […] article written in our school newspaper has gone absolutely viral. The subject of the article wrote a response, detailing the misconstrued opinions and blatantly wrong claims laden throughout the entire […]

168. alexei jones says:

Dear Lauren,
    As the mother of two college age daughters, my only concern is how all of this is affecting your long term self esteem. You are a beautiful, articulate girl and I would love for this to serve as an intellectual and spiritual time out for you.
    Is this the best way for someone with your gifts to make tuition? Are you truly able to do what you are doing and derive only positive things from it? That is the only thing that matters here. Only you know the answer to this. Not a frat boy, not a network news anchor.I believe it might be. I believe for another woman it could be irreparably damaging. Take this time to understand yourself and then go forth with conviction. The only person you need to answer to is yourself. Respect your truth and go quietly forward with your life.

alexei

169. Ramon says:

Lauren, I don’t know you, but I just want to express my support and sympathy to you. It must be really unpleasant to live in a culture with so much shaming around not only porn, but sexuality in general. Some cultures in the past actually worshipped women who could expose their bodies, their pleasure and their hearts. But in this culture, it seems that lots of people (especially us males) are deeply in the so called madonna/whore complex. Don’t let it bring you down, have empathy for even those who are attacking you, live your life with an open heart and enjoy it, whatever you choose to do – it’s all good!
    With love and respect from Europe,
    Ramon

170. Kristina says:

It’s easy to say men feel threatened by her and women are jealous. Speaking as a woman I am not jealous of her situation. If you can’t afford Duke then you should take a look at other options. As many people have pointed out here the decision you’re making helps in the short term but not the long term. Think about the fact you are plastered all over the Internet. It took me two seconds to type in your name and find your videos. What law firm would want to hire you? What judge and jury would take you seriously? Personally, I don’t care if you do porn or whatever you choose to pay for school. You need to think long term though. As other people have also pointed out – how do you explain this to your kids, if you have, when they get older and their friends, associates, ect find you? How do you justify having sex for money to your family?

Would you willingly have sex with these men if you weren’t being paid to do it? I don’t see how facials and being choked during your videos show you’re empowered. It makes you look weak and submissive to me. I think of myself as feminist and like to think feminism is about choice. If you choose to do porn and do violent porn that is your choice to do so. I don’t like the idea of you saying it’s empowering when you’re in a vulnerable state and subject to humiliation at the hands of men older than you. How does that give you power?

You are naive. I understand you find that the most hurtful comment but you are naive. The Internet will move on from something else but you’ll never be totally forgotten. You have another three years in undergrad study then law school to get through. That is a long time to be on the Internet and having videos circulated of you. I will honestly be surprised if you get a job as a lawyer. If you do then you’ll more than likely be subject to sexual harassment and ridicule because of your past. I’m not saying it’s right that will happen but it’s a likely scenario. Think about what you’re doing before you continue doing it. You already brought attention to yourself this early in your academic career and it’s not positive attention.

As a side note, I don’t see how you can say you’re a republican, claim to be a feminist, perform in porn and be okay with all the anti-women stances the republican party takes. Also saying you identify as a libertarian just makes no sense in those guidelines either.

171. Kristina says:

Forgot to mention this in my previous comment.

If you do porn then it puts you in the public. Having an “alter ego” doesn’t mean you’re going to be anonymous. If you wanted to be anonymous then you shouldn’t have done porn. If people can have their SSN and identities stolen then it’s not that far fetched to find out your name. The publican build you up and tear you down. You can’t complain about how people criticize, insult or say anything about you once you’re in the public eye.

172. Cristina Ungstad Yu says:

Lauren,

After reading another interview I have so much respect for you. I’m so impressed with your honestly and the way you express yourself. You’ve made me think differently about this line of work. Your courage is unbelievable. Stay strong, you’re going to make a difference in this world. It’s going to be a little kinder, a little more rational and a little less hypocritical–because of you. If I were your mom, I’d be so damn proud of you.

173. Rana Chaudhari says:

What you did to support your education is praiseworthy and require guts to disclose. Body is just a state of mind. What is important is to have good state of mind.

174. […] stood up for herself, and shows no signs of stopping. Knox wrote a response to the Duke Chronicle’s first article about her, interviewed with the Huffington Post (among […]

175. Rita says:

All this feminism bs. Look, I’m a woman. My mom’s family (because of racism in this country) was DEFINITELY poorer than her family. But she found a non-degrading way to get through Yale University and Medical School. So I don’t wanna hear any BS about empowerment when prison studies show that 93% of violent offenders against women use pornography. She’s promoting the very thing that costs women their dignity ON COLLEGE CAMPUSES EVERYDAY. I will never be able to support this. She’s wrong. I understand that college is expensive (I’m at Brown University, btw), but what’s the point of f–king your way through college and getting a degree if it costs you your dignity? Not for it, “Bella Knox”.