Develle Dish

In Response to Portrait of a Porn Star

writing-on-laptop

WRITTEN BY LAUREN, aka Aurora*

I’m sure many of you have read the article in The Chronicle about me. You may ask why I chose to share my story in a public news outlet.

Well, I have been approached by several news publications that have essentially expressed to me that they would expose me with or without my consent. So I decided to preempt this and tell my story first the way I wanted.

I would, however, like to take this chance to clarify a few mistakes in the article:

1. On the day I met Katie, I did not flaunt my designer handbags and show off my new Ipad. I actually had just come from class and was wearing my backpack. I had incidentally bought a new Ipad to keep notes in my classes the day before. To clarify, every penny that I make from porn goes to paying my tuition. I do not lead a lavish lifestyle as Katie suggests (although I definitely wish I did).
  2. I never, never giggled and asked Katie, “Do you think I’ll be on Ellen?” This conversation just never happened. In reality, when I learned that I would likely be exposed soon on a frat website, I asked my friend Stephanie her thoughts on it, and she advised me to go on a bigger news platform like Ellen if I was going to be exposed anyway. I brought this idea up to Katie during a phone call. I was merely bouncing my options off of her. Moreover, I take issue with being portrayed as an attention-whore. I have been mortified since I was first exposed at Duke. All I have ever wanted since this entire ordeal happened was for my life to go back to normal. Simply put, I want to pay my tuition and get through college in peace.
  3. Perhaps one of the most hurtful of Katie’s remarks was that I am “distressingly naïve.” I expressed to Katie on numerous occasions that the most hurtful comments my cyber bullies had made was that I am a naïve little girl who doesn’t understand the consequences of her actions. I find it extremely upsetting that Katie threw that back in my face.
  4. Katie also mentioned that I frustrated her with my impulsivity and my frequent changes in decisions. UM, HELLO?! I’m going through a situation that my friends, or anybody else at Duke, for that matter, have never been through. Of course I am going to be indecisive. I don’t have a publicist advising me on how to deal with all of the attention I have been getting. I have navigated this dilemma alone, with no real precedent set for me.
  5. All of my comments about frats and sororities were supposed to be off the record, which clearly was not the case. For the record, I recognize the wonderful contributions that the Greek System makes to Duke and the community.
  6. The Chronicle promised me that I would be sent the quotes that would be used in the article prior to its publication. This never happened.

Overall, I feel that The Chronicle portrayed me as a naïve, attention seeking little girl who flaunts her wealth. I feel that The Chronicle and Katie betrayed my trust and skewed my words. I do, however, sincerely thank The Chronicle for giving me an outlet to tell my story.

I hope that the article opened your eyes to how we stigmatize and mistreat sex workers. And perhaps encouraged you to think twice before you pass judgment on a juicy story you hear circulating around Duke.

« »

© 2016 Develle Dish. Theme by Anders Norén.