The Business Law Society is excited to announce our upcoming Symposium on Municipal Debt:
Modern Municipal Restructurings: Puerto Rico and Beyond
The Puerto Rico fiscal crisis is a complex, ever-changing, and fast-paced situation that in many ways stretches the boundaries of modern-day municipal restructuring law, concepts, and thinking. Please join us for a two-hour symposium (followed by a networking reception) on November 10 – Modern Municipal Restructurings: Puerto Rico and Beyond – in which key players with first-hand experience in large and complex municipal restructurings under chapter 9 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code, and the unique situation of Puerto Rico, share their different perspectives in this area.
The symposium will explore cutting-edge topics such as (i) the root causes of Puerto Rico’s fiscal crisis; (ii) Puerto Rico’s unique status as a U.S. commonwealth and its relationship to the crisis; (iii) the ongoing legal and legislative debates regarding Puerto Rico’s inability to access chapter 9 of the Bankruptcy Code, including the pending certiorari petition before the United States Supreme Court with respect to Puerto Rico’s Recovery Act previously held unconstitutional by the Puerto Rico District Court and the First Circuit Court of Appeals; (iv) lessons to be learned from other large municipal and sovereign restructurings, including Jefferson County, Detroit, and Greece; and (v) the meaning of debt sustainability in the context of a distressed municipality, and whether and how it can be achieved in Puerto Rico.
For more information, click here or navigate to the event under the “Events” tab at the top of this page.
- Looking forward to our Intro to Corporate Law panel featuring attorneys from @smithlaw, @KLGates, and @MVA_LAW! https://t.co/EpEOT84GdE, Sep 16
- Looking forward to our upcoming panel on Capital Markets and Securities! https://t.co/mnYsP8neLd, Jan 17
- RT @Duke_FB: TOUCHDOWN!!!! Isaac Blakeney from Crowder! Great play call from Cutcliffe and #Duke takes the 31-30 lead for the first time today. #goduke, Dec 27
- Today's panel on Regulatory Compliance features experts from @PromontoryFG, @federalreserve, and @PerkinsCoieLLP! https://t.co/guy9dnBven, Nov 17
- Thank you to our #PrivateEquity panelists from @smithlaw, @WeilGotshal, #debevoiseplimpton, and #ropesgray! http://t.co/saKTtJja91, Nov 11