Bridges, Bricks, Boundaries?: Reflecting on the Challenges of Civic Engagement
Thank you to all who came out to Civic Thursday. Thursday’s lively discussion was, however, only the start of a discussion about the many questions and challenges around Civic Engagement.
Some key points raised during the discussion:
- overlap between organizations doing similar work, or working in the same community
- collaboration of Civic Engagement and Service entities at Duke
- the need to prepare students for engagement experiences
- the need to provide space for reflection after engagement experiences
- Duke’s overall mindset towards Civic Engagement and Service
In many ways, the groups and organizations at Duke are civically engaging with Duke, Durham, and global communities. It is important that these groups and organizations also have the appropriate mindset towards their work. What do you think that mindset should be?
Answer this question, pose your own, post your opinions about the event as well as share your experiences with the challenges of Civic Engagement.