Technologies of Social Change: Access, Appropriateness, Affect
Thanks to everyone who came out to the event. Some great points were made in yesterday’s intimate and lively discussion.
Thursday’s discussion was the first step in the conversation, so let’s keep talking about technology and civic engagement below.
Some key issues raised during the discussion:
- Importance of technologies being seen as only one part of a complex process
- Role of collaboration and community engagement in introduction and implementation of technologies
- Flexibility in planning projects. Willingness to accept that you may not have the answer.
- Importance of context knowledge in understanding how technologies can effect social change
- Ethical challenges to using new technologies to promote civic engagement activities
- Respective role/importance of the public vs. private sector in provision of technologies of social change needs to be examined
Post anything – thoughts, comments, further questions, articles, etc that you’d like to share. We look forward to continuing the conversation!