Law and Civic Engagement: The Written, Unwritten and Unspoken
Thank you to all who attended today’s Civic Thursday event!
We had some great conversation today, and certainly could have continued to talk. Please use this site to do exactly that – keep talking. Please post relevant sites, resources, comments, and especially questions to keep the dialogue going.
Key points from today’s discussion:
- How is various interpretations of “law” impact the ways in which laws are created, understood and enforced
- The importance of Culture and Custom in society and how these “unwritten laws” may work with and/or conflict with the “written laws”
- The ways different conceptualizations of citizenship and engagement with this concept effect the lives of individuals and groups
- The role of public perception, public debate, and civic engagement plays in the creation of law and policy
- A clear understanding of Co-being and the debate about ‘how do we live together’, is a very important reason for developing a legal framework