Richard Beckett-Ansa

My name is Richard Beckett-Ansa and I’m a sophomore here at Duke University (I don’t know why I said that I’m listed under sophomores). I played soccer in high school but thanks to two knee surgeries I have now switched to basketaball and Squash and some other sports here and there.. (Bocci ball anyone?). I’m on the Duke Squash club team which is up and rising and everybody who reads this bio should go and check out the facebook page! (Shameless plug from a shameless vice-president). I am currently switching from Trinity to the Pratt school of engineering and hope to end my tenure here with a degree in biomedical engineering or none at all. As they say, go big or go home. I enjoy singing, playing piano, playing all types of sports, and just sitting down for emotional conversations. I’ll be a residential assistant in Blackwell next year so don’t hesitate to find me and come ask about my time in Brownstone! These are amazing people and I can not wait to see what the Class of 2018 will offer to this SLG!

Jay Rathinavelu

Hey Guys! I am from the incredible state of Pennsylvania! I was born and brought up in Erie and like most of us I am a rabid tennis fan! I’m calling it right now Djokovic will win the French Open and show Nadal what kind of sorry player he is… (and the Broncos probably won’t win either).  Anyway, I am majoring in Biomedical Engineering. I love to play tennis or any other sport in general. I can ski and snowboard and occasionally enjoy climbing.  I am known for my How I Met Your Mother….that is pretty much my biggest redeeming quality.  Here at Duke I am involved with Duke Dhamaka (Indian Dance team) and Duke Music Tutors.  Take the scenic excursion up the PRINCE tower up to the 5th floor and come visit me and my roommate Susheel!  We have a balcony…nuff said.

Susheel Nalla

Hey Guys! I am from the incredible state of Colorado! I was born and brought up in Denver and like most of us I am a rabid Broncos fan! I’m calling it right now Broncos will win the Super Bowl and Manning will show Sherman what kind of sorry corner he is… Anyway, I am pre-med majoring in Neuroscience with a minor in Econ and Global Health. I love to play tennis or any other sport in general. I can ski and snowboard with the best of them and enjoy climbing ‘14ers. Here at Duke I am involved with Duke Diya and the Nicolelis Lab. Come climb up to the 5th floor and come visit me and m roommate Jay! We are known to treat our guests well!

Gloria Adedoyin

Hey folks! I’m Gloria Adedoyin, and I rushed Brownstone as a sophomore in spring of 2014. I’m a Biology/History double major with dreams of becoming a licensed drug dealer (I think they also call it pharmacist) when I graduate. I really love history especially American and pre-modern Russian history so if you are interested in that kind of thing come talk to me! I’m director of programming for DukeAfrica so stick with me and I’ll show you some really cool events we have planned related to the Continent. I played lacrosse in high school and still love to play so if you have a stick hit me up and we can throw sometime. Seriously can’t wait to meet lots of cool new people during Rush so don’t hesitate to start a conversation with me about anything at all :)

Sam Morton

My name is Sam Morton, although my legal name is actually Sanford. Fun fact if you haven’t visited the Sanford building on campus you should because you are missing out on life. They have amazing cushioned benches that you can pretend to do work on while secretly falling asleep. The stairs will also confuse you beyond belief but it feels like Hogwarts so that’s alright with me. I spent my entire life growing up in Austin, Texas. You might be from Dallas or Houston, and while I love you because you are from Texas, I still have to let you know that Austin is better than your city any day of the year. I ride bikes a lot, more specifically I race mountain bikes a lot – I have been to nationals twice and am also a two time Texas state champion. I really enjoy photography and spend a lot of time trying to find new ways to distill the emotions of an entire event in a single still image (I haven’t quite figured it out yet but I’m getting there). I am a photographer for the on campus fashion magazine FORM, but other than that most of the photography I do is independent. I am the president of Duke’s very own student-run record label and studio, which has been super rewarding a lot of fun. I also sit on SOFC and help iron out the schools budget. When I’m not doing all of that other stuff you can find me in Hudson working on my next engineering project or helping the Duke Eco-Marathon team build their hyper-efficient electric vehicle. I am extremely excited to be a part of Brownstone and I love meeting new people so always feel free to stop by.

P.S. I am studying Mechanical Engineering and Economics so if you ever have any questions about that or anything else always feel free to find me and we can chat!

Brandon Ngo

The name is Ngo, Brandon Ngo. Aside from cheesy introductions and impromptu puns, I have a knack for random philosophical moments. As of right now I’m thinking of majoring in Biomedical Engineering and going the Pre-Med route. People keep telling me to choose one​ or the other, but I’m sticking with both for now. Aside from spending lots of time on the E-Quad, I enjoy extended piano playing sessions in the Biddle Music Building and occasionally writing poetry while gazing at the stars above. Recently I’ve been getting into dance and am part of a new group called Street Medicine. Feel free to come up to me and discuss anything ranging from deep, existential thoughts to flat out dirty jokes.

Ashley Hwang

Hi! I’m Ashley, a rising sophomore from Northern (a.k.a. the better part of) Virginia. I was born in New Jersey, spent the first half my life in the heart of Seoul, Korea, have lived in NOVA since — and now I call Perkins 4th floor my home. I’m a tentative pre-med majoring in Neuroscience, minoring in Spanish, with a passion for everything hispanic culture and gender equality. Outside of the academic sphere, I’m a Bible study leader and an active member of InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, involved in Synapse, Duke Dhamaka, and G.A.N.O. My favorite thing to do EVER is having meaningful conversations and getting to know people for who they really are. So please stop by the first room from the door when you enter section to talk about anything from crostinis to Jesus! I aspire to become quadrilingual one day and really wish I could freestyle rap. I defy the standard Duke dress code by wearing sweats 4+ times a week (it happens). I ‘m an avid watcher of SUITS, secretly a “The Hills” aficionada (#teamLC) since 5th grade, a sucker for puns (but actually I will laugh at every pun you make), and a HUGE FOODIE. If I had to choose one food to eat forever it would be chana masala or Ben and Jerry’s Chunky Monkey. I’ll always be down to go explore new recipes/restaurants, so be my friend!

Wesley Horng

Hi! I’m Wesley, Class of 2017. I am possibly majoring in Economics. I was born in Cupertino, California, but moved back to Taipei, Taiwan when I was 7 and never came back since. Duke is an absolutely new experience for me. I have never been in the South. I love to dance. I started out with contemporary and breaking in freshman year of high school. I am in two dance groups at Duke: Duke Chinese Dance and Defining Movement. Both fantastic groups with fabulous people. Come watch us when you get a chance! I kind of live in Perkins (even when I was a freshman #lillyisdepressing). I am also part of InterVarsity Christian Fellowship.

Jeffrey Ho

Hi, I’m Jeffrey, undecided but possibly st​udying statistics and/or philosophy.  I am also interested in law and hope to, one day, go to law school.  Coming from Sudbury, Massachusetts, a town an hour outside of Boston, I love my Patriots and just football in general.  I love watching football and invite anyone to watch with me if you can handle my incessant shouting at the TV.  I also enjoy music, listening to anything from rap to country to indie bands you’ve never heard of.  When I’m not listening to music, I’m either playing the guitar or keyboard, or writing songs.  Outside of sports and music, I’m also a feminist, libertarian, poet and food lover.  I love trying new types of food and also enjoy (trying to) cook.  Feel free to stop by to talk with me whenever.  I love having deep conversations with people – also shallow, pointless conversations; I’m pretty good at those too.

Michael Daou

Hi all! I’m Michael, a prospective electrical engineer (and possible econ minor) from Lebanon. Having lived there all my life, I speak the Arabic language that a whole bunch of you at Duke seem to find enticing (it is though!) So hit me up if you have any Arabic related questions! At Duke, I’m involved in a business brotherhood called Scale and Coin and in the Duke Consulting Club under the Community Consulting program, where we provide free basic consulting services to Durham-based startups. I’m on the lookout for service opportunities, and involving myself engineering-related clubs. Or possibly something that joins the two. In my free time, I like to sing (hit me up if you play the guitar!), read, and just be around good friends (go Brownstone!)

Raghav Kedia

Yo, this is Raghav. Here are three things you need to know about me. 1. I like Quiznoes way too much and I’ll be entering into a long mourning period this summer when it goes out of business 2. I revolutionized the commonly used word “dope” meaning cool, or in some cases illegal drugs, into “dope sauce” to make it more fun and user friendly 3. I play tennis and drink a lot of milk. Oh and I like math.

Maddie Stambler

Hi Guys! My name is Maddie and I’m from the wonderful city of Cleveland, Ohio! (jk it’s not that great) My favorite TV show is, uhhhhhhh, Bob’s Burgers, and I have a pet dolphin named flipper (everyone likes to steal her though). My preferred snack of choice is apples with peanut butter, and I like taking unplanned naps as they help me procrastinate and stress myself out later on. I also really enjoy filmmaking and video editing, and one day I hope my work makes it to the big screen. But what I really love is hanging out with my friends and making memories. I always like to leave my door open so that anyone can stop by and chat (or distract me from my work). Finally,  joining Brownstone was by far one the best decisions I have made so far at Duke. I’ve met so many wonderful people and i’m extremely excited about the years to come!

Martha Leplae-Arthur

Hi!! :) My name is Martha. I’m looking to major in Biomedical Engineering and minor in Global Health. My mom is French and Belgian and my dad is Ghanaian so despite being from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, I have had the chance to do some very cool traveling, and have developed a passion for exploring different cultures throughout the world. Other things I really love to do include drawing, making handmade birthday cards, and going on walks in the the Duke Gardens (a great way to relieve stress). The group that I have become most involved with while on campus has been PWILD. I first became part of this group in August before my freshman year, and quickly fell in love with backpacking. I look forward to staffing other freshman within the next three years.

Gic-Owens Fiestan

Hey guys! My name is Gic-Owens Fiestan and I was born in the Philippines and now reside in Central Florida. I’m a freshman that’s planning on double majoring in Neuroscience and Psychology with a minor in Chemistry. In my spare time I look to play video games, read books, and just lay around doing nothing! I also play tennis and enjoy going on hikes with the Outing Club! I enjoy Greek food (especially lamb gyros) and am very fond of chicken. If you want to know how I got my name or what it means, just come ask me! I’m so excited to live in section next semester and get closer to my fellow Brownies!

Samantha Devito

Hi! My name is Sam and I am a freshman from southeastern Connecticut. I am  majoring in Public Policy with a possible certificate in Policy Journalism and Media Studies. On campus I am on the club softball team, a tour guide, and on a Dance Marathon Committee. I also love playing and watching sports (especially Duke Basketball!), movies, and eating (especially Italian food)! Feel free to stop by any time to hang out!

Audra Bass

Hello fellow friends! My name is Audra (French for Noble Strength or Lithuanian for Storm) Bass (fish or funky instrument). I am a  North Carolinian who hales from summer searches of wild blackberries and honey-suckle and a booming family that gathers around a made-from-scratch-but-also-fried buffet as often as possible (this is southern sterf if you are confused). A few knic-knacs about me: I love animals, or nature in general, so any opportunity I get to be around such things as nature I am most happy (hence I work at the Lemur Center. I love to sing! Especially Latin choral songs or poetic choral pieces. I also love to dance, especially swing dancing, and overall love things in the category of artsy-fartsy. I tend to ramble as you might notice in the rest of this bio. Religion is also a big love of mine and I hope to one day visit every major religious monument or temple in the world. Speaking of our big blue globe I love to travel! I have caught the indefinite wanderlust bug, meaning I want to travel all the time and be immersed in as many cultures as possible. Lastly (but not really, I am just trying to control the rambling) I love to meet new people and say hello and listen to stories, even if for just a temporary moment.​

Allison Rothschild

Hi everyone!  I’m Allison and I’m from the suburbs of Philadelphia.  I’m a freshman planning to major in Political Science and minor in Spanish.  In my free time I  play ultimate frisbee on Duke’s club women’s team which is super fun!  I love all desserts but especially coffee ice cream and may have eaten an entire container at 11 AM when the power went out…letting it melt would have been a tragedy.  I’m really excited to live in Brownstone next year and get to know all you awesome people better!

Sharon Fang

​Hi! My name is Sharon and I’m from Sin City Las Vegas (If you’re planning a trip to Vegas when you hit the big 2-1 let me know!) I’m deciding on majoring in Compsci and/or Economics and maybe minoring in music (I play piano). On campus I am involved with Club Tennis and InterVarsity Christian Fellowship. I love all kinds of sports (I’m horrible at soccer but I love running around chasing the ball) and playing board games! Come and talk to me! If you can’t find me, I’m probably off somewhere taking long, unnecessary naps.

Jeremy Lai

Hey I’m Jeremy! Hong Kong’s my home, where nightlife is vibrant and the day is fast-paced and packed; though on most days, you’d rarely see me awake past 11. Amidst the stress and chaos, I love to meet new friends, enjoy the sunshine, and soak up life.

I’ve been playing hide-and-seek with my majors and am currently settled with Neuroscience and Computer Science. Languages are also a huge interest of mine, and exploring countries is always rewarding to me.

My passion in muscle pain lead me to the world of rowing, and messing around on the guitar is my ideal type of procrastinating.

So that’s a bit of me, hope to get to know you soon!

Eileen Cheng

Hi! My name is Eileen Cheng from ATL!! Hmm a little bit about me–I’m potentially majoring in Economics with a concentration in Finance and thinking about minoring in compsci. (obviously pretty undecided!) I love meeting new people and having chats over coffee is probably my favorite thing ever. Hmm…a little more about me–I love music and jamming, eating, going to the gym when im not lazy, and most of all…online shopping … :) :) :)

McKenzie Middlebrooks

Haaaaayyy there. My name is McKenzie Middlebrooks. I was born in Montgomery, Alabama and lived there all throughout the first eighteen years of my life.  I am in the class of 2017 and am currently clueless as to what I want to major in! I love to dance, and dance, and dance.  I’m a member of Defining Movement. Honestly, I would choose dance over sleep. I also love being outside and seeing lots of stars.

Interesting facts: I cannot whistle, I have three siblings (twin sisters age 4, and brother age 10), I love eating sardines, my favorite color is purple, I love to draw, I am really bad at sports. One of my favorite things to do is have great conversations and laughs with great people so any time you feel like chatting let me know! Wooo!

Shelley Wu

HELLO! My name is Shelley and I’ve lived in Taiwan for the last 12 years of my life! I have yet to decide on what to major in and am still in the midst of exploring, but I suppose that’s what college is all about! I love traveling and eating. Which one I enjoy more…I cannot say…I’d much rather be doing both simultaneously. I also played a lot of basketball and volleyball in high school so I’m always up for some pick-up games- although I must warn you, I’m pretty rusty. On campus, I’m involved with DUU, ProjectHEAL, TASA, and Club Basketball. Anyhow, I’m super excited to be a part of Brownstone and can’t wait to meet everyone!

Lizzy Knippler

Hi everyone! My name is Lizzy and in case you’re wondering, the K in my last name is NOT silent (gotta love that German pronunciation). I’m a sophomore from the Northern Virginia/DC area double majoring in Global Health and Public Policy Studies. When I’m not gaining wisdom from the second-graders I tutor or writing blog posts about cool global health innovators at work, you might find me planning events for FACE AIDS, reblogging snap-worthy spoken word on Tumblr, complaining about how sore my legs are from HIIT, or eating Tuesday Night Dinner at the Catholic Center. My hobbies include hitting the snooze button at least three times, repeatedly stating how much I want a cat, having deep life chats, and getting lost in the gardens (figuratively and literally). Come say hi… let’s eat food together!

Hunter Hutchinson

Hey guys, I’m Hunter! I’m a freshman studying Biomedical Engineering and hoping to pursue the Genome Sciences & Policy certificate. I grew up in Asheville, North Carolina, and have loved Duke (and Duke basketball) my whole life. I love going to basketball games, hanging out in K-ville, and being involved in Duke Cru (Campus Crusade for Christ). I have been pre-professionally trained in ballet and am continuing to pursue dance through Duke’s wonderful Dance Department. I am very passionate about health and leading an active lifestyle, and I enjoy exercising at the gym or at dance. When I’m not trekking up and down Science Drive or dancing, you can find me reading, drinking tea, listening to Pandora, watching Netflix, baking gluten-free goodies, or Instagramming. :)

Kei Yoshikoshi

Hi, my name is Kei and I’m an undecided engineer from Japan! I’ve lived in four countries throughout my life, but I’ve lived in Singapore for 10 years so if you’re from Singapore/can speak Singlish, I’ll totally understand what you’re saying… lah! Being in so many different regions of the world, I naturally grew to love travelling. My favorite places in each continent (except South America because I haven’t been): Singapore, Singapore (Asia), Vienna, Austria (Europe), Cape Town, South Africa (Africa), California in general (North America), Rotorua, New Zealand (not really Australia but close enough). I haven’t been to Antarctica either but since cold is my weak spot, I don’t intend to anytime in the near future.
Other than that, I’m involved in Temptasians (an a cappella group) and Intervarsity Christian Fellowship. I love to sing and play the guitar, so if you want to jam, hit me up! Making new friends is one of my passions, so I hope I’ll meet you soon!

Manish Nair

Greetings all.

My name is Manish. I am Canadian by birth, Indian by blood, and Singaporean by upbringing. I spent two years doing mandatory military service in Singapore before coming here to Duke, so I am older than most of my class. I am studying Biomedical Engineering and possibly Global Health, and hope to return to Singapore to work in healthcare policy upon graduation.

I love to play sports, especially soccer and cricket. I will always be down to play FIFA or watch a soccer game! I also enjoy reading fiction during my free time; in particular sci-fi and fantasy. Here at Duke, I am most involved with GlobeMed and Honor Council. I like to meet new people so stop me for a chat anytime.

Cade Netscher

Hey everyone! I’m Cade (sounds the same as the “cade” in arcade). I provided the pronunciation because when I meet people they think I say Kate and then it’s just awkward. Anyway! I’m from a small town in the great lands of the Midwest called Eureka, MO. I am Brownstone’s Treasurer, majoring in Neuroscience and getting a certificate in Markets and Management Studies. I basically love any sort of outdoor activity and am training for triathlons, so if you love exercising or just want to try it out, definitely hit me up! Also, I enjoy just chilling with people, watching movies, and doing random things. I’m super excited for rush and can’t wait to meet you all!!

Madhu Ganesh

Madhu Ganesh encompasses the living, breathing spirit of Brownstone. From her funky-fresh DefMo moves to her obsession with peacocks and paisley, I promise you one meeting with this mysterious temptress will not be enough. Of course, there is the matter of her bizarre sleeping positions, in which she seems to be doing yoga, her fancy collection of shot glasses, and her undying passion for changing majors. The good news is, this basically makes her an expert on everything so whether you want to discuss your love for In-N-Out Burger, So You Think You Can Dance, or Jon Stewart this saucy girl has got you covered. However, be warned she doesn’t believe in modern medicine so she might give you her multitude of tropical diseases. She also loves her large collection of stuffed animals, which she likes to pretend are real pets. Whether you find her hidden away in a dance studio or devouring a breakfast quesadilla, this charismatic beauty will leave you dazzled.

Jake Theios

Hello!  My name is Jake Theios, I’m from the beautiful wine country of Napa Valley, California! (if you have any questions about grape varietals, you can ask me, though your local BevMo cashier probably knows more than I do.) I’m currently a sophomore majoring in Economics and minoring in Cultural Anthropology (two very different subjects, but they keep me well-rounded).  Some random facts about me, I’m a total geek when it comes to movies and books, especially Harry Potter, Hunger Games, and Lord of the Rings. I enjoy good Italian food, even though I’m greek (my name actually means god; no big deal). Oh and Olive Garden is great too (the mecca of mediocre family dining. If anyone wants to take a trip there I’m down!). Living in Brownstone is totally awesome and has been one of the best parts of my Duke experience.  I’m really excited to meet all of you and for what rush has in store!

Naveen Nath

Hey y’all I’m a sophomore from Des Moines, Iowa (greatest state in the union). I’m majoring in neuroscience and am on the club tennis team. I enjoy eating, going to the gym, playing tennis, and any other generally fun activity. Brownstone is a great group definitely check it out! Look forward to meeting y’all.

Stephen Hafferkamp

Hello! I am originally from Spokane, Washington, and rushed Brownstone last Spring. I am a junior who is majoring in Neuroscience, with aspirations to be an all-star professional basketball player and grammy winning rap artist, as well as a successful sports agent. In reality, I am a member of the amazing a cappella group Something Borrowed, Something Blue so I love singing, and enjoy playing pretty much any sport. My unhealthy obsessions include: Spiderman, cookie dough, the sport of running, watching popular youtube videos months after they were popular, not knowing the lyrics to pretty much any song that I claim to know by heart, and my family. I also love having conversations about literally anything (Duke Basketball, why the Shawshank Redemption sucks, Jesus Christ, etc.), albeit I can be incredibly awkward, so if you are willing to take the risk, come find me in section!!!

Santi Bejarano

Born in Colombia, South America, raised in the Sunshine State. Self-proclaimed beach-bum. Life quote is Hakuna Matata which was spoken by the great, wise Timone & Pumba. Life goal is to travel the world with my mother and brother doing Global Health work. Love music, like alot. Dancing is the only reason I still go to parties which is why you won’t see me at parties where no one is dancing. I don’t care if people don’t know how to dance, long as they’re still dancing/moving. I’ve been described as chill, laid back etc. I’m happy with it. Better to be known as chill than to be known as stuck-up or something. I’m Social Chair for Brownstone so if a party sucks, come to me it’s all my fault, and then let me know how to make it not suck. If a party’s sick then just know the next one will be even better. I dance for Sabrosura which is Duke’s Latin Dance group. It’s super fun and if you ever wanna learn salsa or any kind of Latin Dance let me know and I’ll help you out and we can go out Salsa dancing with the rest of Brownstone’s amazing dancers.

At Duke, I’m studying Global Health and Cultural Anthropology which really just means I love people but not like pansexual kind of love, more like “We are Family” kind of love. If you have any questions about Pre-Med, Global Health, or Culanth stuff let me know, I’d love to chat. Come by the room (J301) whenever, even if it’s not during rush events I’m usually home in the evenings and if I’m not home then my roommate Cade is a super genius and loves helping a brotha/sista out.

Bhavya Varma

Bhavya or Bhavs or Babybabybabybhabs has been a certified Brownstone member since the day she escaped the womb. She lives that vibrant pre-med lyfe, so obviously you can find her at Shooters almost every day…in your dreams. She’s pretty much already a doctor. Come to her with any illness and she probably has medicine or pills or dat purp (cough syrup) for it. I guess this makes her a pharmacy.

Things she will never do: run (even if violent villains are chasing her), walk, unless it’s absolutely necessary, wake up earlier than 2pm on weekends, navigate, and defy gravity.

Things she loves to do: win arguments, have conversations in Italian, dance around the halls in a towel, sing in the showers, and order from the Loop at 3am.

But be warned of her super power: one conversation is all she needs to find about your entire life.

PS. Ask her what #anklenowcankle means and you win a cash prize.

Brian Dorsey

Hi! My name is Brian Dorsey, I’m a sophomore mechanical engineer. I’m also on the varsity wrestling team, so most of my time is spent in E-quad, Wilson, and Brownstone section. I am from the greatest country in the US–Texas. Austin, more specifically. I love sports, music, making stuff, and Brownstone. I plan on earning my master of engineering degree at Duke immediately following undergrad.

Tze Kang Ng

Hello! My name is Tze Kang and I’m a sophomore from Singapore. I’m attempting to double major in electrical engineering and computer science, so although my room is conveniently located next to the brownstone entrance, you’ll have a better chance finding me in either the e quad or perkins fighting a losing battle against my ece/cs classes. I’m also on the swim team, so the rest of my waking hours are spent at swim practice in Taishoff pool. Other than that, I love food and exploring new places to eat off campus. I like to cook as well, because I find it satisfying to create a nice meal from scratch. But probably more because I just love eating. Other things about me, I enjoy watching and playing all kinds of sports, and have interests in photography and wines. I’m also a trained assassin in the Singapore military. Just kidding, but seriously though. Overall I’d like to think that I’m a approachable guy, so feel free to stop by and say hi!

Chrislyn Choo

Greetings! I’m a sophomore hailing from Princeton, NJ, with a grand plan to pursue a major in Neuroscience, a certificate in Arts of the Moving Image, and a minor in Global Health. Maybe it’s because my initials are CCC (c^3), but I like to do things in three’s! Be it through photography, music, or words, I love creative expression. I think tritones are beautiful, and you’ll be hard-pressed to find me far from a camera, the latest Pentatonix release, or my beloved a cappella groups, Something Borrowed Something Blue and Temptasians! I’m also involved in the InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, Alpha Phi Omega, and pre-health communities. Random tidbits: I commentate excessively during movies, my hair has its own personality, and Loki Odinson is my favorite villain (#lokied). I like to think that I have the “Humans of New York gene” for delighting in the colorful stories that define people…so, heads up! Conversations tend to get profound and personal pretty quickly with me. Get ready to exchange more than names during rush!

Medha Gudavalli

Hey everyone!  My name is Medha Gudavalli and I am a sophomore majoring in public policy with a minor in Spanish and pre-med. Im known for my pro-napping and plate dancing. Im currently a member of Lasya, Dukes and Duchesses, and Project Heal. If you’re semi-awkward I  am too and we will get along great :)

Jenna Freedman

Hellllllo! My name is Jenna Freedman and I am from the bright and sunny city of Weston, Florida! I am currently a sophomore majoring in Biomedical Engineering (if you ever need to find me, a good place to check is Perkins…). Some random things about me, I love midnight dollar sundae trips, talking, midnight movie premiers, karaoke, and attending musicals (I can’t sing, so any aspirations I have ever had of being in one no longer exist). One of my many life goals is to one day compete on Amazing Race and of course win (Survivor used to be on this life goal list as well until I accepted that I probably wouldn’t survive). If you’re ever interested in hearing a good story, stop on by! I’ve actually been told how I’m such a great story teller and that I should get a twitter specifically for my stories. Last but not least, I absolutely love my Brownstone family and living in section. Well see you all soon and I can’t wait to meet all of you!

Rebecca Brenner

Hey y’all! I’m a sophomore from Charlotte, NC majoring in Neuroscience and minoring in Philosophy and Art History. I am one of those crazy, busy pre-meds you met on the first day at Duke. When I’m not doing art with children in the PACU, working in Dr. West’s neurobiology lab, or tutoring for Orgo, you will likely find me painting pianos or curating art exhibits for DUU VisArts. After a busy day, there is no better place to relax than Brownstone. I love having deep philosophical talks with my big, eating dorm dinner with my fellow brownies, and laughing non-stop at parties. As my friends know, I love to talk. So, if you are willing to brave the five flights of stairs, please stop by J501!!

Debbie Shim

Hi all! My name is Debbie, and I’m a majorless premed sophomore from Atlanta, Georgia! Outside of school and Brownstone I am involved with FAC Board, volunteering at Duke Hospital, and InterVarsity Christian Fellowship. Interesting things about me? I can’t snap, whistle, fold my tongue, or wink, but I can sleep for days and eat way beyond my size. I really love running, Roger Federer is my jam, and Lord of the Rings makes me really happy. Rushing Brownstone was one of the best decisions I made at Duke – I absolutely love this family and hope you come to hang out and get to know us!

Connor Hann

Hey Everyone! My name is Connor Hann, and I’m from the Virginia/DC area. I’m a sophomore double majoring in Physics and Math. (It’s more fun that it sounds, I promise!) In my spare time I do a lot of musicy things. I play a bunch of instruments, and I play in the Duke Wind Symphony and the Duke Saxophone Quartet. Early in high school I was converted from a couch potato to a cross country runner, so I love to go for runs too and am a part of the club running team. Other interesting facts: I love Jazz, Dinosaurs, Cosmology, and I do not like chocolate – I know. That’s wrong. I’m well aware that not liking chocolate makes me a heathen, un-American, etc… Anyway, I’m so excited and cannot wait to meet you all!

Georgia Parke

Hey hi hello! My name is Georgia and I am a sophomore from Vermont, though at Duke I’m here in North Carolina despite having lived in California, Illinois and Ohio prior. Clearly I like states, so it makes sense that I’m majoring in political science to better get to know the U.S. of A. and its governmental institutions. Please stop by if you’re a fan of The West Wing or House of Cards (or—unrelatedly but equally important—Gilmore Girls). If I’m not hanging in the Brownstone tower you can assume I am at the Chronicle office, where I write and edit for the news department and try to pretend I’m Rory Gilmore. Apart from journalism and politics, I dig ukuleles, Christmas lights, and those giant Toblerones you get at the duty-free airport stores.

Rebecca Passman

Hey everyone! My name is Rebecca Passman and I’m a sophomore majoring in biology. Come talk to me about Brownstone, The Office, The Mindy Project, The Food Network, Duke basketball, or anything else! I love living in Brownstone (come stop by J206!) and I am so excited to meet you during rush!

Andrew Jacobs

Hey, everyone! I’m Andrew, a sophomore from the beautiful, white, sandy shores of Lawnguyland, New Yawk, majoring in Theatre and Public Policy. When not engaging in Brownstone shenanigans, I’m usually rehearsing for Hoof ‘n’ Horn musicals or singing with my dear Brownstone Big, Phoenica, in Rhythm and Blue, our a cappella group. I love theatre, Broadway, music, politics, tennis, cats, fancy tea, cats, the third-floor study room, How I Met Your Mother, and cats. If any of these are of interest to you, you should definitely stop by and meet me and my Corncob of a roommate. I also give really good hugs. So.

Max Stayman

Hey everyone! My name is Max Stayman, and I am a sophomore from Oakland, California. I am really interested in behavior, decision-making, and ethics as they relate to healthcare, so I am majoring in Public Policy and Psychology. I am really excited to start research with Dr. Day this January looking into ethics and comprehension in advanced directives! Outside of academics, I like to run, fish, listen to country music, swing dance, play sports, and just chill with friends. Brownstone is a pretty awesome place, and if you have any questions about it (or about Duke in general!) please reach out to me. Good luck with rush and finishing up your freshman year!

Trey Bagley

Hey! I’m a sophomore studying CompSci and interested in virtual reality, visualizations, animation, and the like. I’m from Houston, but spent some years in jolly old England as well.  Things I enjoy include vast quantities of food, any music with a good beat, 3D printing, stargazing, anything by Joss Whedon or Pixar, cartoons and breakfast cereal, reading a good book by a roaring fire, and being in Brownstone. When I’m old I plan to be a) a wingsuit flyer b) able to lucid dream and c) happy.

Nandita Singh

Hey y’all my name is Nandita Singh and I’m pursuing a Biology major with a Neurobio concentration. Aside from Brownstone, I’m involved with WHO speaks, DPS Global Health, DSG, and volunteering at the Hospice center. I was born and raised in Texas and am a loud, proud supporter of America’s team THE DALLAS COWBOYS. I enjoy Wingstop, Sunday night football, all things Bollywood, stalking Roshni Jain, Taylor Swift sing-alongs, playing basketball, and movie marathons. I can’t wait to meet all of y’all!

edwardc

Eddie Chiou

Hey everyone! My name is Eddie and I’m a senior majoring in Biology on the Pre-Med track! I’m repping the West Coast from Vancouver, Washington State! Aside from academics, I enjoy playing and watching sports especially basketball and tennis, eating, and just chilling with friends. I rushed Brownstone last year and it was definitely one of the best decisions I have made here at Duke! Definitely check out some of our events and come meet us all! We’re quite a diverse group of people so it’ll be fun! Looking forward to meeting everyone!

268052_520208744686380_1006721710_n

Detti Belina

Hey! My name is Detti and I’m from Silver Spring, Maryland. I’m a junior majoring in Evolutionary Anthropology and also studying pre-medicine. At Duke I enjoy working in my lab, going to the gym, playing occasional IM sports, and exploring Durham/hanging out with friends. Brownstone is a great community of fun, diverse people with a wide range of interests and I’ve really enjoyed living with them in my time at Duke. You should definitely check it out this spring!

546244_520209554686299_1119504147_n

Linde Liu

OHHAY. Linde Liu here. Feel free to call me Linde Loo Hoo. I hail from sunny southern California and basically, westcoastbestcoast. I’m studying electrical and computer engineering and playing with invisible forces makes me feel like a wizard. Just came back from a semester in France and have oh so many stories to tell. I like (MUSIC) (nature) (FOOD) (traveling) (FRIENDSHIP) so come by and chat (:

249928_521545337886054_2065959788_n

Naureen Huda

Hey! I’m Naureen. I don’t have any catchy nicknames because no one has ever been able to give me one that doesn’t sound like a disease, which is sad because I love giving people nicknames! Feel free to step up to the challenge. I’m currently in my junior year working toward a major in Chemistry and a minor in Spanish. When I’m not studying really, really small particles, I enjoy cooking, creative writing, watching documentaries, and doing Pilates/yoga. If there’s a documentary you want to see, I’m down to watch, or if you need a partner for Pilates classes at Wilson, just ask! Brownstone is home to some of the most genuine, accepting, and diverse people I’ve met at Duke, and I’m grateful to get to live with them!

393162_521547427885845_2009485688_n

Oriane Matthys

Hey guys! I’m Oriane Matthys and I’m from Santa Barbara, California (agree with Linde: westcoastbestcoast). I’m studying biomedical engineering and I just came back from a semester abroad, so if you’re interested in doing the same come talk to me! In my (essentially nonexistent) free time I enjoy catching up on Modern Family and Greys, having dance parties in David’s room (soon to be Sean’s room), and hanging out with my Bstoners!! Please come up and introduce yourself to me during rush–if you can make it up to the tower…

13672_521548421219079_1339296153_n

Mike Myers

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, Countrywomen, and Cameron Crazies: Hello! People call me Mike, but you’re welcome to try to come up with a better nickname. I dare you to. Most attempts have heretofore been disastrously unsuccessful. You can find me in room 403 of the illustrious princess tower; I’m always down to sip tea and discuss some theater, art, philosophy, or board game strategy- or, like, everything all at once. I also love the outdoors. I’ve been trying for two and half years to organize a geocaching expedition here at Duke, and doggonit I will be successful before I graduate. Here’s where I shamelessly plug the Theater Studies play, in which I’m acting this semester (along with Top-Dog Thomas Kavanagh); catch it April 3-13.

Other things I like: feminism, Colorado, sports (in moderation), origami, fooood

Things I dislike: cats, meanies

I can’t wait to meet you! Hope you enjoy Brownstone!!!

483214_521549434552311_96671608_n

Debbie Chi

Hello friends! My name is Debbie, and I’m a junior from Bethlehem, PA (Christmas City USA and the home of Peeps!) studying Mechanical Engineering (Aerospace Concentration) and Religion. I really really enjoy eating chocolate, blueberry ice cream, and Taiwanese foods; sleeping; and rock climbing with Kristie (another Brownie)! Recently I’ve also discovered a fascination with the connections between samples and songs and an interest in foreign/indie-esque films. So if you have any favorites (movies or music), let me know and we can watch/listen to them together!

mikayla

Mikayla Wickman

Hey guys! I’m a sophomore majoring in mechanical engineering, with a heart for Kenya. I have dual citizenship between Brownstone (4th floor 5ever) and the E-quad. A few things about me: I’m fluent in sarcasm, a Southern California girl born and raised, a Bible study leader and active member of Campus Crusade for Christ, and always down for a good pun battle. I’m laid-back, candid, and stoked to get to know everyone during Rush! Come visit me anytime in room 403 or leave me a note and we’ll meet up somewhere with a lower altitude (#towerproblems).

479950_522021897838398_1610211676_n

Chirag Vasavda

Hi! My name is Chirag (or Craig, depending on who you ask….) and I’m a senior from the SF Bay Area! I am majoring in Chemistry and Biology and minoring in Chinese. I spend a lot of time in my lab feeding my cells and tucking them into bed, but they’re my babies and I love them so it’s okay. I also love dancing and my defMo family, politics, tech, spending food points, espresso, lifting, and watching tv (but not like Bao – no one watches TV like my rooommate). I’m excited for my final rush (what) and to meet you!

idaliz

Idaliz Baez

Hi!! I’m Idaliz Baez and I’m a senior in Pratt studying Civil and Environmental Engineering. I am constantly on the go between performances (Deja Blue A Cappella, Hoof ‘n’ Horn, and Duke Players) and working two jobs on campus. In my free time (when I can find some) I like to nerd out with some video games, read a book, or go for a run. I am currently a Co-Op at NASA Goddard but am still undecided on where life will take me after graduation. I look forward to meeting you all!

ashleyt

Ashley Tsai

Hello! I’m Ashley and I’m a senior from Houston, TX. I don’t like summarizing myself, but I think if I could describe myself with one word, it would be…food. Yes, I know that is not an adjective. But in food, you’ll find all life. Oooh deep. Not really. But really, you’ll find everything I am and all that I care about if we talk about food…so let’s talk. Let’s eat. Let’s live.

427602_522238107816777_798341922_n

Michelle Lemani

Hey hey hey (emphasis on the 2nd “hey”)!! I’m Michelle, a proud Brownie. A picture’s worth a thousand words, right? Well, you may notice I’m a bit crazy. Here’s what you can’t see. I’m a senior (what?!) majoring in International Comparative Studies and I have too many interests for my own good. I’m a member of Out of the Blue (all female a cappella), I work at the Center for Multicultural Affairs (currently located nowhere), and I’m from West Virginia (first you’ve met, right?). Well that’s a snapshot of me, but what can you really know from all that? Unless you’re a psychic (which Patrick Jane claims don’t exist), you’ll just have to come talk to me. I’ll be in my room….or Joey’s. I love Rush and I’d very much enjoy your company in living out my signature: Dance. Embrace. Forgive. Create. Laugh. Learn. Love. Pray.

Thomas

Thomas Kavanagh

Hi! I’m Thomas, and I’m one of the many Coloradan Brownies, and I’m proud of it. Mike M and I have done theater together ever since we were in middle school, actually! I’m still involved as an actor in shows here and there, but I’m majoring in Math (which still weirds out my theater friends). I also teach yoga, tutor writing (so does Brownie Roshni J). Fellow Brownie Trey B actually recently introduced me to one of my newest passions: 3d modeling and printing; I’ve gained so much from Brownstone and I’m proud to be a part of an awesome community.

551159_522268494480405_726868490_n

Andrew Chiou

Hey guys. My name is Andrew Chiou, and I’m from Vancouver, Washington (yes, there is a Vancouver other than the one in Canada). I’m a senior premed double majoring in Biology and Psychology. You might think that I look quite similar to another Brownie, but once you meet both of us, it’ll become quite obvious that I’m a lot cooler. When I’m not cheering on the Lakers and the 49ers, I am busy eating my favorite mint chocolate chip ice cream while watching Grey’s Anatomy ….(I mean, uhhh….eating raw meat and working out my man pecs). I also enjoy playing basketball or tennis and then going on late night McDonalds runs with my friends. The people in Brownstone are some of the best I have ever met so you should definitely come by and get to know us! I promise you, it will be a decision you will not regret. I am looking forward to meeting you all!

541019_522678887772699_1002813742_n

Christian Kreb

Hey guys! I’m Christian, a junior from the Chicago suburbs. I’m majoring in Economics and Chemistry with a Math minor. If I’m not in section, I’m giving tours or hanging out at the Catholic Center. I hate studying in the library (it’s way too quiet in there and I always wind up talking which apparently annoys people), so I’m in the third floor study room or my room (J307) a lot. Come stop by and talk about tv shows (I watch The Office, Modern Family, Archer, Game of Thrones, Big Bang Theory, Revolution, Suits, and more…), movies, Venice, Econ, fun mashups, or really pretty much anything. You can always count on my room to have plenty of food, candy, and old Wall Street Journals laying around. I can’t wait to get to meet all of you!

423342_523140314393223_2024910279_n

Ritza Calixte

Hey! I’m Ritza and I’m from Gainesville, Florda (Go Gators!). I’m a senior studying Sociology and Theater Studies so if I’m not in section, I’m probably at a rehearsal. Hit me up if you wanna chat about the arts at Duke!

13605_523242901049631_288408308_n

Meghan Scanlon

Hi, my name is Meghan and I’m a sophomore from Missouri! I’m studying statistics (go ahead, make the “eww” face) and will probably get minors in sociology and Arabic. I love How I Met Your Mother, chai lattes, middle-of-the-night IHOP runs and reading. I also refer to Panera as “Bread Co.” because it started in my home city as St. Louis Bread Company and I stubbornly refuse to change my ways. I’m going to be studying abroad this semester in India and China, but if I weren’t, you would probably find me in the 3rd floor study room hanging out and “working” for most of the night. I’m sorry I won’t be around to meet you all, but I hope that you enjoy rush and that at least some of you make it up to visit the awesome people on the fourth floor (my former home)!

602944_523469884360266_1573197396_n

Steven Li

Hey all, my name’s Steven. I’m a senior studying theater studies and headed to medical school after I graduate. Theater’s my life and I’m usually always in rehearsal for something or other – usually for the department, Duke Players, or Antic Shakespeare. During my years at Duke, Brownstone’s been such a family to me and I love it for the diversity of people in it. There’s such great bonding between all the members and that can only come from having so many interesting, accomplished people together in one group that genuinely want to get to know you.

303531_523500811023840_433732950_n

Spencer Paez

Hey, I’m Spencer. I’m a senior in the Theater Studies department. I’m all into the arts and studying human life and all that stuff, so I’d love to hear your story. Although I live off campus, you should feel free to ask me questions about Brownstone. Everyone in this group is a unique individual with a unique experience, so be sure to sit down with a couple folks. It’s a big group. It certainly changes over time. But what never changes is that it’s vibrant, diverse, and friendly. That was the combination that attracted me to Brownstone exclusively. If you see it too, then go for it!

426825_524052297635358_752078492_n

Tulsi Desai

Hey everyone! My name is Tulsi Desai and I’m a senior in Brownstone. I’m from Sugar Land, Texas. A few things that I’m known for: my unusually 3-octaves-lower-than-the-average-female voice, obnoxious laughter, and being stuck in the “tool shed” (also known as the Pratt Student Tool Shop) for absurd amounts of time (shout out to all my fellow MechE’s). Nicknames include, but are not limited to, tuls, pterodactyl, and winter beast. Apparently I resemble the latter two when I wake up in the morning. I’m pumped for Brownstone rush this year, and can’t wait to meet all of you!

150265_524053224301932_1688840893_n

Andrew Hanna

y0000 my name is Andrew Leon Hanna and I’m a junior here at Duke. I’m studying Public Policy, Arabic, and Politics, Philosophy, and Economics (PPE). The main things I do outside of school are heading up dPS and IGNITE Peer Mentoring over at Hillside High School. Come by my r00m (J303) any time and we’ll sit on the balcony and throw Sour Patch Kids at people.

athidi

Athidi Guthikonda

Hey guys! My name is Athidi Guthikonda, and I’m a junior from Charlotte, NC. I’m a pre-med Program II major studying the Biopsychosocial Determinants of Health and Behavior. I’m a huge fan of chocolate, coffee, soy chai lattes from vondy, Bollywood movies, dancing, jogging, and simply hanging out. I am quite easy to talk to and am super stoked to get to know you during these next few weeks!

537249_524255084281746_1352565431_n

Ryan Boone

Hey folks! I’m Brownstone’s resident news junkie, and hail from Northern Virginia. I study international relations and Middle East and Asian history. I love discussing international security and politics, so if that’s your thing, let’s chat. I’m also an itinerant bibliophile. Finally, I keep Brownstone on its toes. I love a good prank or joke (memes included), so be warned.

553085_524402787600309_173314240_n

Kushal Seetharam

Hey all! My name is Kushal and I’m from the D.C. area. I’m a junior majoring in Electrical Engineering, Physics, and Math. I’ll be the tall brown kid wandering around whose voice you can hear from the other end of the hall. Feel free to talk to me about world/ethnic music, sports/fitness (I have more injured joints than not), or life, the universe, and everything. I also work on invisibility cloaks and stuff so let me know if your interested in that.

nick

Nick Cassidy

Hello, I’m a sophomore from Sarasota, Florida majoring in Mathematics and Statistics (with a minor in Philosophy). Here, I tutor kids, play guitar, and do some reading. Also, I’m Brownstone’s Historian and I’m looking forward to meeting all of you. Until then,

Nick.

joey

Joey Lauer

Hey there! My name is Joey and I am a senior mechanical engineer from Arizona. I absolutely love being a part of Brownstone and I am the IM sports coordinator. I have my door open 24/7 and I am always down to chat and have some tea. I’m a big fan of deep conversations– I help host brownstone dinners where we discuss the big questions in life. When not in section you can find me on the dance floor– swing dancing. I enjoy teaching it too, so ask me for a free lesson! I am also involved in Cru and I volunteer in the 2 year old’s classroom at my church. Stop by, I’d love to get to know you!

67965_513462405361014_1267002084_n

Reese Sim

Hi there! My name is Reese and I’m a senior from the suburbs right outside our nation’s capital. I’m studying Program II in global health and plan on going to medical school in the future. I believe in singing loudly in the shower, wearing colorful toe socks so I can wiggle my toes, and starting memorable conversations with strangers. I also watch an exorbitant amount of Food Network, consume an ungodly amount of froyo, and love swimming, running, and curling up with a good book with a side of hot tea. I believe in magic. Cheers!

230334_513462732027648_2003719902_n

Roshni Jain

Hi! My name is Roshni, and I’m a pre-med junior majoring in English and minoring in Chemistry. It’s an odd assortment, I know, but nothing about me, an Indian from a rural town in Kansas, is really all that generic. In my spare time, I enjoy kicking back with friends, eating, exploring, watching movies and television shows, reading books, playing doctor, and daydreaming about all the places I’d like to travel to someday. I’m sad to say I won’t be around much during rush, but please stop me and say hey if you see me! I’d love to get to know y’all!

Go to Top
css.php