A large number of WordPress themes and plugins will be removed during the mid-October 2015 maintenance window. All site admins should review the following details, and contact the OIT Service Desk with any questions. Faculty may contact the Center for Instructional Technology for questions regarding using WordPress in teaching.
The following themes will be removed from the Sites@Duke system over Fall Break, in accordance with Sites@Duke policies. These themes were selected because they are retired, unsupported, outdated, broken, or little-used.
- Carrington Blog
- Commentpress Default Theme
- Commentpress Modern Theme
- Pretty Parchment
All site admins should confirm whether their sites are using one of these themes. You can do this by logging into your site, going to Appearance > Themes in the left-hand black sidebar, and seeing which theme is labeled as “Active” in the top left corner.
If your site’s active theme is on the list above, you will need to switch to another theme that is NOT on this list before October 10, 2015. Instructions on how to change themes are available on sites.duke.edu. Any sites that have not switched to a new theme at that time will be changed to the Twenty Thirteen default theme.
If your site does not use one of these themes, you do not need to take any action at this time.
The following plugins will be removed from the Sites@Duke system over Fall Break, in accordance with Sites@Duke policies. These plugins were selected because they are unsupported, outdated, broken, little-used, or redundant.
- Booking Calendar (recommended replacement: Event Calendar)
- CommentPress Core
- Flickr Photostream (recommended replacement: Flickr Justified Gallery)
- List Pages Shortcode
- MathJax-LaTeX (recommended replacement: WP LaTeX)
- Polldaddy Polls & Ratings (recommended replacement: WP-Polls)
- Really Simple Twitter Feed Widget (recommended replacement: Twitter)
- Register Plus
- Smart Youtube PRO
- Top Commentators Widget
- Twitter Tracker
- WP VeriteCo Timeline (recommended replacement: KnightLab TimelineJS)
- WPMU Custom CSS (recommended replacement: Simple Custom CSS)
- WTI Like Post (recommended replacement: KK I Like It)
In cases where retired plugins are actively used by Duke WordPress users, we have suggested alternative plugins with similar functions. Please switch to the new plugins before October 10, 2015 to avoid functionality issues.
All site admins should confirm whether their sites are using one of these plugins. You can do this by logging into your site, going to Plugins in the left-hand black sidebar, and clicking Active to see your list of active plugins.