The Awareness Study is looking for volunteers ages 25 to 70 years old to participate in a research study comparing the effectiveness of two different interventions; a mindfulness-based meditation intervention with personalized health planning(MAPLE) and support and guided education intervention(SAGE) in reducing psychological stress and blood sugar.
You may be able to participate if you:
- Are 25 to 70 years of age
- Have NOT been diagnosed with heart disease, high blood pressure or diabetes
- Have a history of diabetes in your family for example your siblings or parents
- Often feel angry, irritated, sad or depressed
- Are a non-smoker
- Are NOT taking anti-depressants or anti-anxiety medications
- Are not currently physically active—more than 2 hours of strenuous physical activities per week
- Are considered overweight or obese (per CDC guidelines)
- Are NOT taking oral contraceptives or hormone replacement therapy
- Are pre-diabetic as indicated by the screening blood test
If eligible, you will participate in weekly group sessions for 22 weeks and 3 laboratory visits. Participants will be compensated up to $700 with no drugs involved. For more information, please contact us at 919.684.8667 or firstname.lastname@example.org.